naughty male? Help

1. alangraham04 Initiate Member

hi, ive had my kribs for about 3 month now, 1 male 1 female, female is 1.5 inches male is 2.5 inches... female is glowing red all the time but the male keeps chasing her and i thought that the female stayed near the cave/coconut but the male wont let her anywhere near it. The female seems to show signs of interest in the male, she swims near him and shakes (like a sort of fit) when he's there but then appears to chase her away??? Is this normal behavior or would it be best to change one of them or just wait and see what happens?

Thanks alan :) :;dk

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello alangraham and Welcome to Fish Lore. Your fish sound like they may be displaying spawning behavior. I don't have 1st hand experience with this type of fish. I'm sure you'll get some more responses before long. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    Facts about the Kribensis - Pelvicachromis Pulcher
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Ken

3. alangraham04 Initiate Member

thanks alot ken, hopefully he'll chill out lol

4. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

either they are too small for mating or you might need to get a new male....i had a male and i had hime with a female and almost no intrest in her....she eventually died and i put in another female and minimum intrest... from him and again nothing happend....i got him a larger female and she was all set and ready, but again...he was not up to it....i eventually started fresh with a new male and new female....and the first few days....she was at the top corner of the tank while he chased her off....but then they eventually paired up....i would suggest trying a different male, but that's just me

5. kribensis keeper Member Member

this happend with my kribs dont worry this is just ther way of meeting each other what i would do is seperate the 2 and do not change one for another one at the shop i did this and the same thing happend as what happend with the previous male give them time they will get used to each other my male was the same and he has now fathered 3 spawns of fry just monerter them if you see the female with nipped fins or anything like that seperate one of them from the other and leave the oter one in the main tank just give them time even try some dither fish which the male can chase insted of the female some good dither fish are tiger barbs and zebera danio just make sure that one of those 2 are going to get along with the other fish in your tank not including your kribs as i have danios and tiger barbs with my kribs and they are fine.