Nature style low-tech 30 gallon aquascape

ruud

Ruud-30gallon.jpg

I've been on this forum for a few weeks now, so I figured it is time to showcase one of my main tanks. I cranked up the light in order to make a decent picture. Normally, the light is very dim at 10% of max intensity. When dim, the tank blends really nicely with its surroundings. Because I cranked up the intensity, I noticed how dirty the glass is above the water surface. Luckily it is dimmed again.

Aquarium
  • Custom-made rimless 30 gallon/120 liters
  • 40 inch/100 cm in length, 16 inch/40 cm deep, 12 inch/30 cm height
  • 8mm glass thickness
Technology
  • Eheim Professional 350 canister; spraybar at the top left, intake at the bottom right; due to the shallowness of the tank and the scape inside, I have the impression this is the most effective setup
  • Twinstar B-Line with controller; light schedule starts early in the morning at 1%, gradually reaching 10% at 14:00, and gradually fading black at around 20:00
Scape
  • ADA La Plata sand substrate
  • Several pieces of Talawa wood; I believe it took me 3 hours till I was happy with the wood structure
Plants
  • Microsorum pteropus 'Trident', between the branches
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica', planted at the left front side and some at the right back side
  • Bucephalandra, various varieties on the wood
  • Ceratopteris thalictroides, floating at the right side of the tank; it actually disturbs the aquascape in my opinion, but I value its importance for keeping conditions healthy, so I leave it in
  • Vesicularia ferrie (weeping moss), emersed
Animals
  • Dario Myanmar/Black Tiger Dario; 2 males and 5 females (spot em if you can ;))
  • A handful of Amano shrimp; the biggest animal in the tank is the berried female Amano that is visible in the picture on the substrate, a bit left from the center
  • Neocaridina zhangiajiensis 'Snowball'; a few dozen I guess
Water
  • Temperature: daily and seasonal fluctuation that follows room temperature. On average 25 Celcius/80 Fahrenheit during summer, 20 Celcius/ 66 Fahrenheit during winter
  • Chemistry: I stopped measuring parameters for this tank a long time ago; the leaves are green and the animals are breeding...
Maintenance
  • Scooping out Dario fry around august
  • Plant trimming on the go
  • Monthly topping off water
  • 5x water change per year, about 5-10% volume per change
  • 1x thorough canister cleaning per year

AverageAquarist22

Oh wow, it’s beautiful!

Basil

Oh wow! Fantastic!

richiep

Thats a bit of a shrimp paradise

ruud

Thats a bit of a shrimp paradise
Ha! In some ways yes; you can't see it in the image but inside the big bush, on the bottom, there is one big decomposing party going on; I let the party continue non-stop by adding dry leaves every once in a while. If you'd peak inside, you'll find the snowballs having a blast. Females are berried, shrimplets are born, and then...... (Jaws music) a Dario arrives.

(Completely harmless to adults though and luckily some shrimplets survive as I haven't bought shrimp in a very, very long time)

ruud

IMG_20220211_183924377.jpg

When I set up this tank I couldn't find stones that worked in combination with the Talawa wood. Finally, after trying different types of stones post-hoc, I settled with ADA Yamaya stones. Very simple, dark grey-ish stones, but with a blue-ish tint. I love it.

Above is the scape as is. Nothing trimmed or cleaned to make the perfect picture. I did increase the brightness again; the tank is normally very dimmed.

Can't spot any Dario fish on the image. Too bad. And too lazy to make a new picture.

1Sushi1

Ruud-30gallon.jpg

I've been on this forum for a few weeks now, so I figured it is time to showcase one of my main tanks. I cranked up the light in order to make a decent picture. Normally, the light is very dim at 10% of max intensity. When dim, the tank blends really nicely with its surroundings. Because I cranked up the intensity, I noticed how dirty the glass is above the water surface. Luckily it is dimmed again.

Aquarium
  • Custom-made rimless 30 gallon/120 liters
  • 40 inch/100 cm in length, 16 inch/40 cm deep, 12 inch/30 cm height
  • 8mm glass thickness
Technology
  • Eheim Professional 350 canister; spraybar at the top left, intake at the bottom right; due to the shallowness of the tank and the scape inside, I have the impression this is the most effective setup
  • Twinstar B-Line with controller; light schedule starts early in the morning at 1%, gradually reaching 10% at 14:00, and gradually fading black at around 20:00
Scape
  • ADA La Plata sand substrate
  • Several pieces of Talawa wood; I believe it took me 3 hours till I was happy with the wood structure
Plants
  • Microsorum pteropus 'Trident', between the branches
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica', planted at the left front side and some at the right back side
  • Bucephalandra, various varieties on the wood
  • Ceratopteris thalictroides, floating at the right side of the tank; it actually disturbs the aquascape in my opinion, but I value its importance for keeping conditions healthy, so I leave it in
  • Vesicularia ferrie (weeping moss), emersed
Animals
  • Dario Myanmar/Black Tiger Dario; 2 males and 5 females (spot em if you can ;))
  • A handful of Amano shrimp; the biggest animal in the tank is the berried female Amano that is visible in the picture on the substrate, a bit left from the center
  • Neocaridina zhangiajiensis 'Snowball'; a few dozen I guess
Water
  • Temperature: daily and seasonal fluctuation that follows room temperature. On average 25 Celcius/80 Fahrenheit during summer, 20 Celcius/ 66 Fahrenheit during winter
  • Chemistry: I stopped measuring parameters for this tank a long time ago; the leaves are green and the animals are breeding...
Maintenance
  • Scooping out Dario fry around august
  • Plant trimming on the go
  • Monthly topping off water
  • 5x water change per year, about 5-10% volume per change
  • 1x thorough canister cleaning per year
This is really nice!!! I really like the look of the shorrt long tanks! You should do a tutorial on how exactly you put this custom tank together!

ruud

The tank itself was done by an aquarium builder. The scape...I should've made a picture of the wood structure without the plants. The wood structure itself consists of 7 separate Talawa wood pieces that were slid together to form the shape.

The rocks below were only recently added. This is a bit of an unconventional way of working. Normally, wood and rocks are scaped simultaneously.

Once the hardscape is done, adding plants is a breeze.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views