Naturally Lowering Ph In A 36g Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by fishrlene, Jun 22, 2019.

1. fishrlene

fishrleneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello, I just found out my pH in my 36 gallon freshwater tank is alarmingly high - 8.4! I was using the API Master test kit wrong and used ONLY the low pH bottle initially. I understand that the pH needs to gradually decrease. So far, I have older driftwoods from a previous tank and I just added Indian Almond Leaves yesterday. Is there anything else I can do to help? Thank you!

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How are your fish doing? What is the PH straight out of your tap (if you use tap water) and what is it after 24 hours. If it is high you will be forever trying to keep the PH in the tank lower.

I always say and believe a stable PH is much more important than a specific number. If your fish have been thriving at this number then I see no reason to try to get it lower.

3. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    You make a good point. I haven’t tested my tap water pH yet, but you’re probably right. It may be a loosing battle to continually try to lower it. Why wait to test it 24 hrs later?

So far the fishes have been doing fine. I did loose one Otocinclus a few days ago, but they’re a pretty sensitive fish to start with. So far, my other 2 Otos are thriving, along with my Rasboras. My nerite snail does not want to stay in the water though. It’s always trying to escape the tank.

4. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,688
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Lots of times letting the water set for 24 hours or so the PH will end up lower than it is straight out of the tap. Something about the buffering agents the water companies add. I don't totally understand the science behind it but just know that it happens.

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing each time?

5. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    1 year
    That makes sense, regarding the water. I tested it today (tap water) and it’s actually 7.2! So there is something in my tank that’s raising the pH. I have a bunch or rocks in it and I think it may be the culprit.

I think it may be limestone? Anyways, I took it out and I will do another test tomorrow to see if it made a difference.

I do a weekly 3 gallon water change based on my current fish stock. IMG_6430.JPG

6. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,688
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Limestone will raise the PH level. It will probably take more than one water change to get the ph down to the level of your tap water now that the limestone is out of there. I would just change out maybe a gallon each day until it matches your tap. You don't want to get it down too quickly.