Naturally Changing pH level?

1. TheCoolFish Member Member

Hi I am cycle a new 50 gallon tank and I was wondering if there is a natural way to raise the pH. Or maybe home items???

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I've not used it myself, but crushed coral is a way to raise your ph somewhat.

Why are you hoping to raise your ph?

3. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

I second Phishphin's suggestion.
    I've used crushed coral and baking soda to increase the pH.
    Although baking soda is cheap and handy, it is inherently more unstable than cc.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Stability of ph is often much more important than the "perfect" ph. Of course, if your fish require very basic water and your tap is very acidic... it may be a different story, imho. In addition to my question about why you are interested in raising the ph, what is your stock and what is your tap's ph?

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, I used crushed coral in my mbuna tanks and almond leaf in my south American tanks.
    There is the issue of water change but small water changes keep things stable.

6. TheCoolFish Member Member

The pH of my tap water is around 8.2 so I'm looking to raise it to 7.4 and I have used cc but it doesn't seem to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. TheCoolFish Member Member

I'm mean lower woops

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Oooooh. So don't add crushed coral. I've used driftwood to lower ph. You can also use peat moss (some place it in their filters which is pretty effective).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. TheCoolFish Member Member

I have some drift wood should I put some in my over flow filter?

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Driftwood that will fit in your filter will probably not be large enough to alter the water chemistry. I just meant that peat moss (check out Fluval's product) could be added to some filters.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Archie1208 Member Member

Please correct me if I am wrong...however I am curious if you know your KH (Carbonate Hardness). If that value is high would he not have a difficult time maintaining any pH? I have the same problem with my pH. However I have too large a bio load to boot so that explains some of it. However I have a 2dh KH reading and just don't know if that is indeed low. I do think its borderline, but every week my pH has dropped from about 7.6 to anywhere from 6.6-7.0. My thoughts for this tank is to add a small amount of cc to my filter media. Does that sound right?

12. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Adding an acid buffer may reduce the pH some, but the most effective route would be to use some distilled, r/o, or rainwater when doing water changes. Just a small percentage, but the % is something you'd have to figure out based on your test readings.

13. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Check it after it sits out overnight, or for 24 hours.

What is the PH of your tank? What kind of fish do you have? What are you wanting the PH to be?

14. TheCoolFish Member Member

My pH is 8.3 I want it to under 7.8 for now I have two plecos I'm still deciding if tetra or cichlids tank

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum