Natural Seawater For Top-offs

Marcos36
I recently set up my 10 gallon saltwater tank and I used the natural sweater that petco has. My question is Can I refill my tank with that same water when I need to do water changes or when the water Evaporates? Or would I have to make my own salt water ?

Discus-Tang
To replace evaporated water, you need to use fresh water with no salt. You can use it for water changes though.

Marcos36
Oh ok I see becuse then my salinity would rise. Thnanks

Jesterrace
Personally, unless you have one of the better Petcos that takes care of it's tanks, I wouldn't get water from them. Lots of sick marine life comes through Petco. Do you have a local fish store in your area?

LyssahBlue
I think they are talking about the imagitarium premixed filtered salt water - I get the same thing - I have nothing but a selection of petcos to choose from where I live too. Excited that today my RO/DI unit will be arriving in the mail and I can finally mix my own worry free No shame in the premixed game and as stated above, use fresh water - get distilled for top offs if you can.

Jesterrace
I misunderstood. I thought Petco was selling bottled ocean water from goodness knows where. I wouldn't put something like this past them.

LyssahBlue
Lol! Me either sadly for some of us Petco is all we’ve got. I have 3 different ones to choose from in reasonable distance but still- all Petcos

Jesterrace
It amazes me how demographics work out for LFS interest in placement in a given area. The nearest beaches are over 600 miles drive from my house (and none of them are tropical), yet I have 3 saltwater LFS within a 15 mile radius of my house (and the only one dedicated 100% to saltwater is .7 miles from my house). I never would've guessed this hobby would be this popular in my area.

Top Bottom