"Natural" or "Artificial" Betta Tank Decor?

1. Saphirae Initiate Member

Do you guys prefer a "natural" look (driftwood, rocks, live or realistic fake plants) for a betta tank, or an "artificial" (colourful decor/gravel/plants) for betta tanks?

I personally have both types of tanks, but I set up a 5.5 g with driftwood and Java ferns for an adopted betta a few months ago :D

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I prefer the natural look. In my opinion, nothing beats the contrast of black sand and live plants! Though brown sand may be more natural than black sand...

3. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Be careful with sand, I've heard warnings that Bettas can accidentally eat sand and get sick. Personally, I like the look of smooth glass rocks instead of gravel, gravel is difficult to clean and traps waste. Also the smooth glass rocks are gentler on the fins. I like the look of live plants but I don't have experience with any yet, maybe some day!

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Short Answer: I can like both.

Long Answer:

I'm not a fan of fake plants, because many are too sharp for my betta. I do like some of the fake decor, and my daughters get excited to pick something out for a tank.

I do love the natural look, but it can also be a pain and I have yet to really get close to mastering aquascaping. I love real plants and watching them grow.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I've had no issues with my betta eating sand, but I also don't overfeed so food doesn't fall to the bottom to be eaten later. Maybe that's where issues come up.

6. PythonTheBetta Member Member

That does make sense. What kind of sand do you use?

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Medium grit of the black diamond blasting sand. It's a heavier sand and doesn't float everywhere.

8. octavio Member Member

I'm certain your Betta is happier and healthier with sand or smooth gravel and living plants. After all, their natural environment doesn't contain marbles silk and plastic plants. Plus, his colors won't have to compete for attention with artificial colored plants. And Bettas are smart enough to know not to eat sand. Good luck.

9. KyleMarie Member Member

I think that the natural look is MUCH nicer. Something about it just seems much more relaxing and beautiful to me. As well, I think the live plants just work so nicely when you have the natural theme going on, and the benefits are enormous.

10. Saphirae Initiate Member

Thank you. And I definitely agree. The betta that I adopted was previously in a (smaller) tank with plastic plants, pink gravel, etc before I adopted him. I find that he loves to interact with both driftwood and the Java ferns. I purposely don't trim the roots often (unless they're broken/dead) because he likes sleeping under overgrown roots for some reason :p