Natural/normal guppy coloration or disease?

RomanNoodles96

Member
Around 3 months ago my female guppy had 30 or so fry. I could only save 2 and they are pretty big now. One isn't coloring up well as my betta recently (about 2 weeks ago) took a big chomp out of his tail. He's doing surprisingly well and its already started to grow back (dont worry the fish are separated, soon I will be rehoming the betta). His colors are the same as his brothers, but he has black dots on both sides. His brother has a black dot on one side and a black rectangle on his other side. Is this normal?
 

redmare

Member
If that dot has been there the whole time, I would guess it's just his colour pattern and nothing to be worried about. If it's shown up recently, it might be something else.
 

LeviS

Member
Its common for there to be different patterns on guppies. Its possible that had other fry survived there would be a wide variety of colors and patterns pending the variety of the male and female.
 
  • Thread Starter

RomanNoodles96

Member
redmare said:
If that dot has been there the whole time, I would guess it's just his colour pattern and nothing to be worried about. If it's shown up recently, it might be something else.
To be honest I don't know if it has or not. I know the black has been there, but I dont remember if the shapes were the same.
 

FishGirl115

Member
Looks normal to me. May I ask why you're rehoming betta?
 
  • Thread Starter

RomanNoodles96

Member
FishGirl115 said:
Looks normal to me. May I ask why you're rehoming betta?
She chomped the guppys fin off...
I wish I could keep her, but when I introduced my Livebearers back into the main tank (I took them out to heal as the levamisole was hard on them) ahe attacked and killed 2 guppies and ate his fin off.
 
  • Thread Starter

RomanNoodles96

Member
Here's a pic of her, she's healthy (has been dewormed) and she isn't mean unless something is added into the tank. She lived peacefully with the guppies and platies for 5 months until I took them out and put them back in. She still leaves the Amano shrimp and the nerites alone too.
 

FishGirl115

Member
RomanNoodles96 said:
Here's a pic of her, she's healthy (has been dewormed) and she isn't mean unless something is added into the tank. She lived peacefully with the guppies and platies for 5 months until I took them out and put them back in. She still leaves the Amano shrimp and the nerites alone too.
Where are you rehoming her to? She's beautiful. I've been looking for a betta like that
 

emeraldking

Member
That´s just the pattern of each individual male. No worries. Even if we´re talking about a specific strain of guppies, there might be differences in pattern in each individual male. It´s no deasease for sure... So again, no worries.
 
  • Thread Starter

RomanNoodles96

Member
FishGirl115 said:
Where are you rehoming her to? She's beautiful. I've been looking for a betta like that
Currently I have nowhere. I'd be willing to ship her and only charge Shipping fees, but that would have to wait a week as I'm going out of town today and I dont know how to ship live fish properly yet.
emeraldking said:
That´s just the pattern of each individual male. No worries. Even if we´re talking about a specific strain of guppies, there might be differences in pattern in each individual male. It´s no deasease for sure... So again, no worries.
Okay thats good to know.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom