Natural light or plant/ aquarium light Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tall planted tank with two different lightbulbs one is natural light the other one is plant/aquarium. The plant/aquarium bulbs kind of pinkish but makes the fish look very colorful. The natural light makes the tank and my plants look nice but the color on the Fish fade out. I don't know which one I should keep because I do have live plants.

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

As long as the bulb is in the 5000-8000k range you are fine, its more of personal preference thing.

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi :) What plants do you have? and do you know what bulbs they are? It may help determine which bulb you should keep.x

4. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Amazon sword, Anubias, Java Fern, dwarf sag, Java Moss, Wisteria & Jungle Val. The bulbs are both T8 the plant aquarium light output is 410 lumens. Been natural light output is 590 lumens color temperature is 5000 K. Fish really look much better with the plant/aquarium light bulb

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

The Anubias, Java fern, Wisteria and Java Moss will be fine under almost any light conditions. The Vals, Sword and Sags prefer a little more light. I would keep the one with the highest output but, also the one you like most should come into play here :) I'm no expert on plants, just the basics, but I don't think any of your plants require a particularly bright light.

I think the colour the light gives off is entirely up to you. I like my fish to pop personally but, I know some like their plants to be the stars.x

6. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Thanks so much but I think I agree I like popping fish LOL

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

As I say, I'm no expert but I like the pinky bulb, I have a great one in my goldie tank and they look amazing!

Be sure to post a picture when you've decided, I like oogling tanks :)

8. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You may not be an expert, but you are correct.
    The plants don't require high light to do just fine. Which is good, since it is a tall tank, neither light is sufficient for mid-high level plants.

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thanks. And I've learned something too :)