Natural Gravel Impossible To Wash - Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by cds333, Jul 2, 2018.

1. cds333

cds333New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    I am using Caribsea blue ridge gravel; which looks great for a natural alternative to shiny painted gravel, however it is not possible to wash it until the water runs clear, as I usually do with new gravel. With this stuff it always adds more sediment to the water no matter how many times I rinse it.

After setting up the tank and letting the water clear itself for a day, simply adding plants and ornaments to the tank causes the water to cloud up badly.

The gravel comes with free packets of clarifier, but after reading the reviews for it, claiming that it can kill fish, I would rather not use it if I don’t have to. (“Bio magnet clarifier”)

Has anyone had experience with this gravel or with this issue with un-painted gravel?

Also is it safe to put my fish in now, with the water still cloudy?

Thanks!

2. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    I haven't used that brand (maybe I have, I forgot the brand I used) but I used this natural gravel and it was super cloudy, just impossible to rinse.
    It cleared after about three days, don't use the water clearer thing they gave you, I've read the same reviews.
    I wouldn't add fish now for two reasons:
    1.) The cloudiness is sediment that could hurt their gills while they breathe it
    2.) The tank wouldn't be cycled yet (unless you have cycled media from another tank) as it takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank, or you can make it just 2 weeks with a little trick/product. If you would like any advice with cycling, I can help. If you already know all this, please ignore me and enjoy your tank!

3. OP
    OP
    cds333

cds333New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Well it’s an upgrade from a smaller tank, so cycling is not an issue.

Mainly I’m concerned that every time I gravelvac it or change an air line or plant that it will just re-cloud the water.

With yours did it take 3 days for good, or 3 days every time the gravel is disturbed?

Thanks!

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    I didn't have my filters running for the first week, and it settled by itself after three days. Turning the filters on didn't kick it up, planting plants (yeah, I planted some plants in this stuff) didn't kick it up, and neither did gravel vacuuming. I got some crud when I moved around a bunch, but I think it was just the normal gravel crud.

5. TheWalkman

TheWalkmanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    I put in caribsea substrate in my 180 forgot what kind exactly but like smooth pebbles. Anyway tank was extremely cloudy for 24 hours then finally nice and clear three days later.
    No issues with cloudiness when cleaning or rearranging. Other then normal cloudiness from cleaning that clears up in an hour.
    The picture is 36 hours after adding substrate.

Attached Files: