Native tank setup

Dlondon95

I have been thinking and I want to put some minnows from my creek into my pond when it's ready, but I'm also interested in setting up a native tank.

I went down to the creek and caught 4 fish this evening and set them up in a 20 long. My question is, what type of fish are these? I just know them as "minnows", but I know there are several hundred species of minnows.

So is there anyone here that's good at identifying wild fish?

Here are 2 that were smaller, at only 1 inch

Here are the 2 bigger ones. They are about 3 inches long.

Sorry for the bad pictures. They are really fast!

Akari_32

Well, the "minnows" I'm used to catching grow up to be tilapia, so, I couldn't help you there LOL They're really cute, though!

What's the name of the river/creek/whatever that you caught them in, and where is it?

Dlondon95

Haha. After researching a little more, they look like Blunt Nose Minnows.

The creek is called Hallowing Run and it's in central PA. It leads into the susquehanna river. I've been looking at the state website that has all the fish species, but they are all drawings of fish, not real pictures...

I keep fish

The last fish might be some kind of trout I'm not sure.

Akari_32

Blunt Nose Minnow, according to a Google search. Look right?

Dlondon95

That looks just like the small ones, but I'm not sure about the larger ones. They don't have a really dark strip going down their body.

Akari_32

The one in the link is supposed to be a female, so I would guess that that's why the colors are duller. I'll see what else I can find, though

Dlondon95

Thanks Akari!

and thanks ZeeZ! That website is very helpful!

I keep fish

I don't get a thanks lol

Akari_32

I don't get a thanks lol

Thanks, Mr "I-think-the-last-one-might-be-a-trout"

Dlondon95

As soon as I saw who posted, I was like "shoot!" lol. Thank you!

Edit: Apparently the censoring system blocks out the word that means poop and starts with a C. haha.

I keep fish

Thanks, Mr "I-think-the-last-one-might-be-a-trout"

That's me
hehe I love the people on fishlore

fbn

Take a trip to Florida! I caught some wild Flagfish there. There were some other wild Freshwater fish that had great looking color, but they were too hard to catch!

Dlondon95

AKARI!!!!! Can you catch me some flagfish?

It took me about an hour to catch these 4 minnows.... And there were HUNDREDS of them around me. lol.

I'm going to pet world tomorrow to get a dog bed for the puppy and I'm gonna look at their pond nets. That might make it a little easier to catch them with, rather than using a little 5 inch aquarium net.

ZeeZ

As soon as I saw who posted, I was like "shoot!" lol. Thank you!

Edit: Apparently the censoring system blocks out the word that means poop and starts with a C. haha.

Caca?

Dlondon95

Well, obviously if you just said it, it wasn't the word And I've never heard it referred to as that before. haha

Akari_32

That's Spanish for "poop" (well... Sorta ) LOL

Dlondon95

Hmm. I guess I should pay more attention in Spanish class. lol

Akari_32

That's me
hehe I love the people on fishlore

;D

AKARI!!!!! Can you catch me some flagfish?

It took me about an hour to catch these 4 minnows.... And there were HUNDREDS of them around me. lol.

I'm going to pet world tomorrow to get a dog bed for the puppy and I'm gonna look at their pond nets. That might make it a little easier to catch them with, rather than using a little 5 inch aquarium net.

I wish I could! I can catch you Least Killies, Pygmy Killies and Mosquito fish (and possibly Sailfin Mollies, but they're quick!), but no Flagfish

Haha, I caught my Killies with a 4 inch aquarium net, while sitting in a canoe! XD

Dlondon95

;D

I wish I could! I can catch you Least Killies, Pygmy Killies and Mosquito fish (and possibly Sailfin Mollies, but they're quick!), but no Flagfish

Haha, I caught my Killies with a 4 inch aquarium net, while sitting in a canoe! XD

I wish we had tropical fish here

Now THAT takes skill!

Akari_32

It really does, seeing as there are loads of plants that are growing so well that several feet of each plant rests on the surface. The plants are kinda like really big, brown anicharis.... Grows really thick! Had to stop and un-bend my net a few times LOL

I keep fish

It really does, seeing as there are loads of plants that are growing so well that several feet of each plant rests on the surface. The plants are kinda like really big, brown anicharis.... Grows really thick! Had to stop and un-bend my net a few times LOL

grab a few plants for me

Akari_32

Hahaha, its actually illegal for me to even take from there. But I figure, the sign says "No fishing, no hunting," and technically, I'm catching, because all you have to do is swipe the net through the plants real quick and you get fish Shhhhhhhh!

fbn

[Oh, I caught least mosquito fish when I was in Florida, also.

Dillon, you can also buy a like $1 butterfly net..

Akari_32

That's a good idea, too! Its about time for butterfly catching, so they'd be cheap and easy to find! =D

Dlondon95

hmmm. A butterfly net is a good idea!

Dlondon95

Just a little update.

The fish are doing great! They really seem to enjoy swimming against the current of the filter. These fish LOVE Repashy food! I dropped in a piece about the size of my thumb and it was gone in 15 minutes!

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wraithen

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom