Native tank questions.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by flyin-lowe, Dec 12, 2012.

1. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Hello
    I have been away for a while. I had a 120 gallon planted angel tank set up for a year or so and had to move so I took it down. I am now settled into a new house and am thinking about a native tank. I have always liked them and thought they looked cool.
    Do many of you folks have native tanks? Just curious if there are any issues that are specific to these tanks. I have a friend who has a pond so I would be able to trap/net the fish I need with less stress then catching them with a hook and line. I was thinking some blue gill and other pan fish, bull head catfish, perch, etc. Nothing that will grow too large for the tank. I have seen some pics on this and other forums of native tanks when they are set up but I have never talked to people who have had them long term to find out how the fish did.
    Any input/advice would be appreciated.
    I am already checking on the local laws for keeping native fish so I don't need advice on that.

2. S

SentientMeat New Member Member

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with this, but I do love the idea. I say go for it! My wife and I have been considering putting one together with creatures from our area (New England). Maybe think about incorporating things like native frogs/turtles (legal ones of course). Not sure how your area differs fauna-wise, but fish like "pumpkin seeds" or sunfish can be gorgeous and not too large.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

My friend saw my planted tank and thought of small bass. He said my tank looks like a lake. Small sunfish may work. It would be a different idea for sure to do a New England tank.

4. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i have kept a few bluegills in a tank for a few years before giving them to a friend fun to watch and moderately active. They can even hold their own vs larger cichlids

5. e

endlerfreak1 New Member Member

I have had sunfish in my tank before they will eat anything and I mean anything they can get in there mouths. It was fun to watch them swim around in the plants that I had. When it came to feeding time I fed live food from mill worms and crickets to small feeder fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice