Native Peruvian Fish Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HunterB, Mar 30, 2010.

1. HunterB

HunterB New Member Member

hello all
    Im new to this forum and fish keeping but am not new to the research and patience that goes into setting something like a planted freshwater aquarium up ( i keep poison dart frogs)

I have an 80 Gallon bowfront tank and my main focus point fish will be 4-6 South American Leaf Fish.

I know they generally eat live food only (covered), like to be well hidden and no bright light (covered) and will eat anything small enough.

this is where my problem lies. This tank will be specifically and only peruvian fish and plants. Now i know the Leaf will eat anything small enough so the tank will have many nooks and smaller areas to hide for the smaller fish where it cant get to them but - im having trouble finding native peruvian fish that are usually available.

so basically, any suggestions? (sorry my first post was so longwinded)

2. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

What about neons? I believe they are peruvian natives...

OH and welcome to fishlore!! :sign0016:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

There are quite a few varieties of Apistogramma which are peruvian in origin, they may fare well in a big enough tank.

My :;2cents

Dave

4. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

There are also some corydoras I believe... perhaps some of the larger varieties will be good? Not sure how agressive the leaf fish are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice