National Geographic Betta Flakes

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sadly petsmart is always sold out of the pellets so i decided to try out the flakes because the ingredients and the guaranteed analysis are pretty decent. it smells really good, you can really smell the fish and all the other seafood they added in. kinda makes me want to eat it lol.

ingredients: Salmon, Halibut, Kelp, Wheat flour, Soy flour, Shrimp, Wheat glutten, Herring, Rice Hulls, Spirulina, Lecithin, Vegetable oil, BHA, Ethoxyquin, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Copper Chlorophyllin, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, niacin, inositol.

IMG_20180401_102521.jpg

IMG_20180401_102636.jpg

At first my betta was a bit confused about the flakes as he is normally on a pellet diet with freeze dried foods but once he figured out they were food he gobbled them up really quickly and left nothing behind. one flake per feeding is enough to fill him up. im not sure if i would use the flakes as his main food but it will definitely become part of his diet.

Pros
  • uses whole fish
  • long shelf life
  • lots of vitamins
Cons
  • only found at petsmart
  • comes in only one size container
  • might be a little bit more money then other brands as it was $5.49

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feed my guppies flakes as their staple because I feel they are more versatile for all fish sizes.

They do smell good though :angelic:

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed my guppies flakes as their staple because I feel they are more versatile for all fish sizes.

They do smell good though :angelic:
thats one of the things i do like about flakes, fish wont have a hard time eating it due to it being too big which is great if you have a community with different sizes of fish or have fish with small mouths. i have never used flakes till now since i havent been able to find anything other then tetra or wardley which are brands i dont really like lol

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thats one of the things i do like about flakes, fish wont have a hard time eating it due to it being too big which is great if you have a community with different sizes of fish or have fish with small mouths. i have never used flakes till now since i havent been able to find anything other then tetra or wardley which are brands i dont really like lol
Oh fair enough. My reputable lfs has their own flake brand so I just use that

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh fair enough. My reputable lfs has their own flake brand so I just use that
oh nice not many lfs here have their own brand or if they do they arent very good.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oh nice not many lfs here have their own brand or if they do they arent very good.
I don't know if the lfs actually made the flakes themselves or not, but there is certainly a connection between the two companies at the very least! And of course I checked the nutritional value and it all seems pretty good!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually prefer flake foods for small fish. My favorite is New Life Spectrum Community Flakes. Smells good for a fish food.
really? a lot of people seem to frown upon flakes for some reason, although i do agree flakes are great for small fish. ive heard a lot of good things about New Life Spectrum so i might give them a try when im running low on food

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why do people prefer pellets to flake? I think pellets make more of a choking hazard..

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
really? a lot of people seem to frown upon flakes for some reason, although i do agree flakes are great for small fish. ive heard a lot of good things about New Life Spectrum so i might give them a try when im running low on food
Why do people prefer pellets to flake? I think pellets make more of a choking hazard..
I also believe they’re easier on the fish to digest, especially if you were to feed multiple times a day.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also believe they’re easier on the fish to digest, especially if you were to feed multiple times a day.
i think a lot of people dont like how messy flakes can be if you feed more then your fish can eat, flakes apparently decompose quicker in the water so it loses it nutrients? although i do find fish have an easier time eating flakes and digests a lot better plus dont really have to worry about them choking on it.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Speaking of flake I just switched out my old near-empty one for a new flake. Anybody heard anything about this one or am I on my own? I know API is a reputable brand but I don't know about their flake apparently it causes fish to produce less ammonia

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Speaking of flake I just switched out my old near-empty one for a new flake. Anybody heard anything about this one or am I on my own? I know API is a reputable brand but I don't know about their flake apparently it causes fish to produce less ammonia
ive never used their foods but have seen it before and a lot of people use them. it has pretty good reviews on amazon. unless your picky about ingredients then it is a good flake to feed fish.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive never used their foods but have seen it before and a lot of people use them. it has pretty good reviews on amazon. unless your picky about ingredients then it is a good flake to feed fish.
Ah good good! It was kinda an impulse buy as I was passing my lfs and realised I was nearly out of flake! What's up with the ingredients?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah good good! It was kinda an impulse buy as I was passing my lfs and realised I was nearly out of flake! What's up with the ingredients?
some people are picky about whats in the food and like to buy foods that uses whole fish,very little fillers etc. which i think api uses a bit of fillers in their foods but other then that it is a really good flake food with pretty good ingredients like spirulina, squid and some others

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
some people are picky about whats in the food and like to buy foods that uses whole fish,very little fillers etc. which i think api uses a bit of fillers in their foods but other then that it is a really good flake food with pretty good ingredients like spirulina, squid and some others
Oh those sorts of people! Nah I'm not fussy as long as my fish are happy and healthy then I'm happy

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh those sorts of people! Nah I'm not fussy as long as my fish are happy and healthy then I'm happy
i do like good ingredients in the food but isnt needed just as long as nutritional value is good and the fish like it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom