National Geographic Aquarium Sand Review - White

Discussion in 'Misc. Reviews' started by cheesepuff, Jul 26, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Once again I have made a video review for everyone. This time on the new sand I got.

[video=youtube;1Ve_Yey3oPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ve_Yey3oPY[/video]

In case you can't watch the video, here are the cliff notes

1) It looks amazing

2) It sinks very quickly. This makes it great for fish that kick up a bunch of sand

3) it cleans easily

4) It comes almost pre-washed. very little washing is needed before use

5) even though its white the fish poo is not that noticeable.

6) The thickness of the sand is in between regular and gravel size.

2. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

Hello fellow Chicagoan. Thanks for the review as I am looking for substrate for my 90gal!

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the review :). The sand looks really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Happy to help!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I bought the black version of this sand and I am pretty happy with it also, it's a very clean substrate out of the package, you could probably get away without washing it at all.
    All the wash did was bring some of the smaller pieces to the surface and I just scooped them out with a net, other than that there is practically no dust.

The package does say it may alter ph or at least the black version does, so that may be something to check. I have it in a fresh tank that I'm not even cycling yet so I will test ph and see what's what.

Would definitely recommend though so far.

6. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I just gotta say, I really like this sand. I don't even have to use the gravel vacuum to clean it. All I really need is a strainer and I can sift all of the stuff out of the sand. Sand sinks right to the bottom while all the poo and such stays in the strainer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I have the black sand and I really like it. I don't think it has altered my pH, but my water is VERY alkaline. Maybe it affects pH in less alkaline water?

8. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

not sure. My PH is a little higher than what comes from the water i put in it, but I don't think thats due to the sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice