Nasty Little Snails

1. berri

berri New Member Member

Snails are beautiful, graceful and fun to watch...but nasty as all get out. I got some mystery snails awhile back to help control the algae and figured they could crawl in their shell if my shark bother them. Told they would not reproduce in freshwater. When they grew up..they started laying egg clusters, on the glass, behind my HOB filter (and this was a pain to clean up), no one said they would not lay eggs, just not hatch out those eggs. They became more of a mess maker than they were a clean up crew. I ended up rehoming the lot of them. So now I am looking for algae eaters that will clean and not mess and my shark will get along with.

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I hate to be the balloon buster, but every creature that eats poops. That poop will eventually break down into nitrates which is algae food. In the long run...all algae eating creatures will produce as much algae as they eat.

3. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Plecos. :) Or if your shark will try to mess with them, then i recommend a nerite snail. Won’t produce in freshwater (only in saltwater) even if you have multiple, and the best algae eating snail out there. They are fairly common in petstores and are commonly seen as zebra or tiger nerite snails. Occasionally I see black nerite snails also. Also... if you want to get rid of the extra pest snails, try assassin snails. They will kill them for you, but if you get assassin snails then do not have any other snail in the tank as they will kill them also. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

that is a lesson I did learn. I did go out and get live plants and will get more. Hopefully that will help but I do get my algae scrubber out daily and I guess there is no sub for that.

do they lay eggs? I was told the mystery snail would not reproduce but they did not tell me that they would still lay unfertile eggs all over the place.

5. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Some do and some don’t I’ve heard. I’ve had one for a few months now and it hasn’t laid any eggs, but I’m reading that others have laid eggs.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

You were told wrong about Mysteries. They will lay eggs , but if the eggs are not above the waterline, they will not hatch. Nerites may also lay eggs if you have both sexes but they will not hatch.

7. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

Nerites are great algae eaters but as mentioned still poop and the most annoying thing about them is the white dot-like eggs they lay EVERYWHERE. Nothing eats them and they stick around forever. I have to scrape them off the glass and use a toothbrush to scrub them off driftwood and rock.

Live plants are your best algae busters along with a proper lighting schedule. The plants will outcompete the algae for nutrients but too much light will result in algae.

8. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Best bet if you want Mysteries and Nerites, just keep one of each. One Nerite will eat a ton of algae and a Mystery snail can be as much of a pet as anything else in your tank.

I have a Nerite and I've never seen a single egg.

9. ELON MOLLUSK

ELON MOLLUSK Valued Member Member

I’d say go with the horned nerites or chopstick snails. With nerites you have the chance of them laying eggs but with chopstick snails they are viviparous and give birth to live young, however their live young are veligers( larval form) and won’t survive in freshwater.