Nart's Lagoon Build - Round 2!!!

LJC6780

Wish I could sleep as late as the wife. Did y'all stay up late kickin' it old school on the Nintendo?

We used to sleep late. Like 10-11. I never had an early rising baby/toddler thankfully. But now hat he’s in preschool we wake up early. I’m up by 630 and he’s up by 7. Even on off days.

Never knew you was into guns nart, but not much of a market for them here lol. Cant wait for your par meter results. You should put some pics of the gun show on the pm chat, I've got some experience but probably not used anything as fun as what you would have.

I’ve been to a range once with family members who own guns. We don’t own guns. (also not sure why my comment was edited out. )

I’m REALLY hating the auto links lately! It’s screwing everything up!

Last edited:

Nart

LOL LJC - Link works for me... Does my PAR thread link work for anyone else?
I can tag you..it's in the Saltwater lighting section of the forum.

LJC6780

And now seeing my quote has changed since earlier. It was a quoted broken link all typed out.

Oh and have y’all clicked on the auto links? They go to products on amazon. That’s a little crazy. I thought hey had something to do with the forum and finding other articles that have to do with the subject.

And does anyone know why they waste time squishing everyone’s comments together? It really bothers me to have my comments edited. Am I alone in this?

Nart

Update on the PukanI rocks curing in the tub...

This is the phosphate test on 9/20... as you can see it was visibly blue above 0.36 PPM and below 0.64PPM
IMG_8220.jpg

Phosphate test on 10/3... noticeably lighter in color. Above 0.16PPM but below 0.36 PPM. It might be a little lower, I haven't changed the water in a week.
IMG_8428.jpg

I started curing these rocks on 9/11/17 so about 24 days now. I heard from other reefers that it took them on average about a month to cure the PukanI rocks, so hopefully it'll be done soon. I am so ready for the rocks to go in my tank.

Meanwhile, still playing the SNES classic. too much fun.
IMG_8384.jpg

Nart

Alveopora Coral!

IMG_8443.JPG

With blue lights and gel filter
IMG_8445.JPG

Tried to get a good picture of the small RBTA but it's hard since it's tucked away so far
IMG_8446.JPG

KristaD

Love how everything looks

grantm91

We have similar coral tastes nart haha.

LJC6780

I haven’t even checked my rock tub since that one time. I have changed water though. Probably should change again.

Nart

More corals! Say wuhhh?
IMG_8481.JPG

Really though? I was not about to walk away from this tank empty handed...
IMG_8479.JPG
The display system was 275 gallons. A local club member was selling me some of his frags. $10 a piece, why not? Got a handful of SPS stuff to try it out.

grantm91

My next port of call Nart , some forest fire I'm going to have a bash with.

KristaD

So Nart, what did you get? Suspense is killing me!!!

Nart

Double post

Last edited:

Nart

I need to get better pictures of what I got. I'm always so lazy adjusting the lights. But you're basically looking at twigs lol
IMG_8486.JPG

Here are the mother colonies. Its a WWC staghorn. Both of what they call the "blue lightening" and "yellow highlighter" variant. It's really yellow. Just doesn't pick it up with the blue lighting and camera phone without a gel filter.
IMG_8480.JPG

Orange montI digi
IMG_8488.JPG

Also picked up a green poccilopora. With SPS small frags there really isn't much to look at until they start to encrust and grow lol. I'm excited about all of the ones I picked up though. They are suppose to be fast growers once they get acclimated to their environment. I need these PukanI rocks cured asap! So I can really hone in on my water parameters, lights, and feeding schedule.

LJC6780

Looks great!

Nart

Went to go trade off some equipment in exchange for some corals... the guy said he has 27 feet worth of frag tanks that I can choose some corals from. This is what I walked into...
IMG_8509.JPG
My jaws dropped. Could not even believe this was someone's basement room.

New FTS:
IMG_8519.JPG

Here's my haul trade...
huge green montI cap:
IMG_8521.JPG

Red montI cap and a green psackmora (I don't know spelling)
IMG_8517.JPG

trumpet and Duncan frags
IMG_8520.JPG

Whew... my tanks are packed
Here's the current state of the DIY 10G. Packed away the Current Marine light and put on the Kessil lights for now
IMG_8515.JPG

Last edited:

grantm91

Been doing some stuff you nart, the tanks looking nice. Feels asif the green montI has been there for ever it just fits right in and is a gorgeous piece well done lol.

KristaD

I agree with grantm91 everything looks like it's been there forever

Culprit

Everything looks great. I can't wait for that rock to finish curing so you can put the hardscape in the tank and coral scape it! Right now the IM25 is looking a bit... crowded haha. Its going to look SO much better with your amazing scape!

Nice frags! Wow wish I had the money for that fish room. Totally envious. That's about the same amount/gallons/size of frag tanks my LFS has!!! Whew. I think the frag tank gonna be good to keep all frags and grow em out and sell them or keep them.

How's the IM10 coming along?

stella1979

Oh Nart... I'm so excited for you!!!

I am STILL missing notifications. Just re-subscribed to this thread and posted a new one myself asking mods for help!

Anyhow, I couldn't agree more, everything looks just great! I saw an excellent photo of the highlighter acro(?, I think), earlier today... I know just what you're looking at. That green montI is perfect! It really does look like it was always there. Congrats my friend!!!

We5

I can speak for my Randall Pistol shrimp and Yasha Goby yeah. I love them. Model citizens and my favorite tank inhabitants. I turn pumps off during feeding and they know when to come out of their burrow for food. Stay away from tiger pistol shrimps, I heard it's a hit or miss with them in terms of killing snails/hermits in your tank.

Baha. It's a myth about them breaking glass. Maybe a really big specie mantis shrimp and if the tank had a very thin/weak glass it maybe could.
Totally agree with avoiding the tiger pistol, had to take my smaller tank apart to get rid of one. He killed several gobies, including the original goby he was paired with.

LJC6780

I thought he said he wanted a Randall’s pistol ...

Nart

Look what arrived yesterday evening.

I installed it, but haven't had the chance to sit down and mess with it and closely inspect it. But, my initial impressions of it is that it works. It does indeed generate an occasional random flow with zero moving parts within it. Instead of a jet of water stream from the factory nozzle, with these nozzles it seems to disperse the water flow better.
IMG_8531.jpg

Culprit

How does it work?

Nart

Culprit It's just plug and play. Works off of the grooves it has inside of it.
Btw - the package should arrive to you by tomorrow.

Culprit

Huh. I'd heard of those but never knew how it works. That's cool!
Thank you!!!

stella1979

The package...

Nart

Here's how the RFG nozzles look with it on.
IMG_8534.JPG
IMG_8535.JPG

I took a pic of my GSP rock that I'm selling.. and noticed how happy the Alveopora looked.
IMG_8542.JPG

Nart

Made a major mistake earlier...
See for yourself.
IMG_8550.JPG

Got the big RBTA off the rock it was attached to after 2 hours... but before that, I had lifted a smaller rock up. Apparently the small RBTA's foot was attached to two separate rocks. When I lifted a rock up it tore the small RBTA right in half... I didn't even see it.

This was my view when I was trying to use the power-head to agitate the big RBTA to move.
IMG_8546.JPG

Fingers crossed that it heals and survives... I had plans for that small RBTA

In midst of all that.. I noticed I had stepped on dog poop outside with my work shoes. Then I dropped my hammer coral onto my big colony of Acan. Lastly, my emerald crab headed down my pistol shrimps tunnel... because I was scaring everything inside the tank so I had to quickly fish out the emerald crab or else things would've ended badly for that little thing. Just not my day today...

grantm91

Wow, I've had these days before. Pic two I'd have took the rock out of the tank and smashed it rather than wait if you weren't bothered about the rock, note for future that with the pukanI rocks where your nem goes will likely be where it stays unles you smash the rock, I discovered this last week with the Condy but couldn't take pics as the guy was on the way and the nem and rock ended up on a yoga mat on the kitchen floor with me and the hammer . Pandamonium lol good luck with the little one.

Nart

Yeah...... Grant. I realize that now. All those 'tricks' with cold spoon, ice cube on foot etc... didn't even budge the RBTA lol.

On a good note.... Phosphates are starting to go down for the PukanI rocks.. about 0.04
IMG_8554.JPG

grantm91

I don't think they are stupid like say a jelly fish, if you expose it to temperature extremes or pain, things like that I found it locks in super tight, by irritating I think they mean literally annoy it in to thinking I'm going to move now this is kind of annoying. Any how, how come your moving them is it to prepare for the new scape ?

Nart

Agreed. I think when you mess with an RBTA that already has its foot deep in a crevice all it'll do is hide till it is over. Maybe it'll move... after a week or two lol.

Yeah. I'm getting the harder things moved away first in preparation for the big re-scape. The next hurdle is pulling some of these zoa colonies that has already grown on the rock work. That's going to be a pain

grantm91

It's a good call nart I think I'd have rushed it all the day before and been in a world of it, I think I need to plan ahead more for things as you really are on the ball here I sometimes just don't think like that, the zoas are just as bad when theyre established on a rock , will you be removing the rock with the zoas on from the tank to work as they do squirt a lot when you actually slice them from the rock.

stella1979

Dang Nart.... Hope the little guy makes it. Sorry your having one of those days. An old song comes to mind....

Nart

Just an update on the RBTAs.

The big RBTA overnight opened up so big that it took over the entire breeder box I had. So he's fine. I had to make shift a divider for the two small RBTAs, in which they look to be okay today. So I am happy.

Here are my current plans for both tanks and ya'll have to let me know your honest opinion...
Within the IM25 I am going to keep it mainly SPS and LPS dominate, with the exception of leaving the RFAs there.
I will move over my small RBTA and all zoas over to the IM10. The hope is to get the right flow and light so that the RBTA stays right in the center of the IM10 rock and then place the zoanthids on each rock branch. Each rock branch will have a different specie of zoa.

Thoughts?

I seeked for some coral suggestions for the IM10 and someone told me the rock-work I have in there is more fitted for SPS corals. Which made me think, that person has a good point. But I rather keep SPS in my bigger tank, I think it's more fun to see the branching patterns in a bigger tank, especially with staghorn SPS. So I rather stick with easier things like RBTAs and zoas in the IM10. I'm going to try to go without chaeto as well and let nutrients creep up a little in that tank.

stella1979

I agree... keep the SPS in the larger tank, they look best in large colonies. All that branching makes me think of a forest... one of my favorite places to be.

The plan for the IM10 sounds perfect! Can't wait to see the RBTA crowning the 'tree' of zoas. Will you be putting any fish in this tank? The clowns maybe?

SUPER glad to hear that the baby nem looks to be doing well today.

Nanologist

I concur!

The proportions of it all just makes more sense. I feel like the zoas will be more pronounced in the smaller tank. Solid plan.

grantm91

That would be, exactly what I'd do with the 10, my exact plan would be that and I'd have 1 clown and a shrimp, most likely peppermint, it's a good idea, compliment it with gorgeous bright zoanthids it's an IM after all lol. I just love clown fish, there is no alternative to them, never kept a fish like clowns I just want to fill my 32 with them but 3 is enough.

Nart

Thank y'all for the great inputs! Love it

So I'm selling off the big RBTA tomorrow. But here's a pic of how they are all doing in the breeder box.
IMG_8558.JPG

The shredded ones... doing really well
IMG_8556.JPG

grantm91

Yes !! Super happy for your little nems, another example of these things being Robust. Sad to see the bigger one leaving but I know sometimes it's for the best, I miss my Condy still can't believe I went through with that rehome on an impulse.

stella1979

Aww, it's so good to them looking so plump.

Nart

Sold some corals and equipment this weekend. Made out with a decent amount of cash.. so treated the wife to a nice hair cut

Sold off the GSP rock shelf so the goby and pistol shrimp had to make a new cave entrance. They weren't too happy about it.
IMG_8565.JPG

Whew. The RBTA that I butchered are doing well now. Under white lights. As you can see they've completely healed from my oopsie. Next up.. going to try and feed it then I'm going to bust a grantm91 and try to get my Picasso clown to go in the RBTA.
IMG_8566.JPG

LJC6780

Well ... now you can sell off one of the two! That’s probably the way I’d want to frag one ... I don’t think I could go through with cutting it up!

Nart

LJC6780 previously you had mentioned "is that the dendro growing a new head?" With your keen eye...
It's sprouting a new head. Looks like two small heads. No wonder it's been closed up for the past week.
IMG_8580.JPG

The Alveopora doing really well. Right next to the pulsing xenia that I had on a frag. Surprisingly the xenia isn't growing like a weed anymore.
IMG_8581.JPG

The minI acan garden doing well! Polyps keep popping up and growing.
IMG_8583.JPG

PukanI rocks... are still curing

grantm91

Wow nart I forget your collection of corals sometimes, loving the pics man. The acro? Is it an easy keep?, that and the forest fire are the only sps interesting me.

Nart

Appreciate it Grant. Those are actually staghorns. I don't do acros... not yet at least. Have to situate my Coral placements first then I'll see if I have room for them up too.

Forest fire digita? I have a fire digita of some sort. That one seems easy to keep. Though, it's hard to guage if they are doing well sometimes since the polyps are so small lol.

grantm91

Hmm staghorns, loving it!, it caught my eye as I'm interested in the acro and fire digI as I decided I like the branching look, but no more purchases as I want that 32g of mine just for nems lol, I love them, but it means another tank though for all the other stuff I love.

LJC6780

Hmm staghorns, loving it!, it caught my eye as I'm interested in the acro and fire digI as I decided I like the branching look, but no more purchases as I want that 32g of mine just for nems lol, I love them, but it means another tank though for all the other stuff I love.

So just tag me in your new tank thread! or better yet, add a link in our current thread. Not sure I’d see a tag.

stella1979

Beautiful pics as always Nart ! Your tank remains such an inspiration to me. The montI is looking great of course... do I see lighter colored growth around the edges already? Speaking of, what's that other piece that is between the montI and the dendro? Looks like it's got kind of fat fingers... that sounds bad, but I don't mean it that way... I like it!

We're always so excited about the corals... how are the fish doing? I saw the yasha recently, but it's been awhile for my old friend the starry blenny. Can we play find the blenny again before you put in the new rock?

Latest threads

Top Bottom