Nart's Lagoon Build - Round 2!!! - Page 2

Nanologist
I love the drop-off tanks. I'm really liking the drawer built into the Artfully Acrylic ones. Almost thought it was a sump at first but realized it's an AIO tank and that it was in the back.

The IM 20 gallon Nuvo Drop-Off was the first tank I've seen like these: Innovative Marine NUVO Concept Abyss Panorama Drop-Off Glass Aquarium - 20 Gallons - Marine Depot

I'm liking the Artfully Acrylic ones more though! Especially you get to choose colors!!!

*Edit - just noticed the drawer is an extra $50! I'd have to have it... just couldn't let that space be empty.

stella1979
Oh my gosh.... I could make that Artfully Acrylic 9g just like the coveted 8g at ReefTop LFS. I have got to get a pic of that one to share with you guys. It's exactly what I would love to do in a pico tank, Zoa's, RFA's, Liam's polyps and a tiny bit of euphyllia. What have you done NART ? Why oh why do you have to show us all the good stuff...............

Nart
Look what just arrived!

IMG_8050.JPG

Round 2 is underway!

grantm91
Haha gorilla glue my favourite! Get it done the now the anticipation is killing me.

stella1979
AquaStik & Gorilla Glue, nice. Recently watched a vid where they were used together.

Sounds like a pretty intricate scape is in mind. I know you're working hard on that frag tank, but you're killing us with this one... can't wait!

Edit: How's the little mangrove doing?

Nart
Yeah. That's usually how I get my bigger frags down. With epoxy and glue sandwich it down.

This scape will take awhile, but I'll be sure to take pics and show y'all. Not to mention curing and getting rid of all silicates. I'm estimating at least 1.5 months to complete before it goes in my DT.

Mangrove isn't doing so hot. Not sure if it had too much lighting. Ugh. I'm trying to save it... but not looking good. I'll have to ask the LFS I got it from to see what's up.

stella1979
Oooh, I hope you get some good advice. I might be as excited as you are to see it grow. Too much light??? That just sounded silly in my head when I think of how fast I could get a sunburn on the water around those mangroves. I know there's more to consider though. I would probably rig up a shop lamp with a 6700K CFL, just guessing, but maybe worth a try.

Nart
So it just dawned on me... I live in a small apartment and curing dry PukanI rocks STINK from what I have heard... oh boy.
After I am done scaping, I am just going to cure

Just got done with my rockscaping

IMG_8056.JPG

kidding. This is 22lbs of rocks worth... most of the pieces are pretty big.... hmm.... this is going to test my patience with breaking it into smaller pieces that I want. Nonetheless let the scaping commence!

Oh man... this is going to be messy.. I just started and look at the mess already
IMG_8057.JPG

Really wished I had a garage to work in

grantm91
we had an incident where I cut some terracotta pots at the back door and I left it open and the dust got everywherrre like even upstairs lol, I broke rocks too in kitchen I'm still finding fragments every now and then. So I'm an outside diy guy now buy law of the house.

Nart
Haha Grant. At least you weren't banned from the house completely

The wife walks in the house and says it stinks... uh huh. I haven't even started curing yet

Anywho, I was able to get a base structure started...

IMG_8058.JPG

Love these rocks. So much character in each one. It's hard to describe. I'm so lame. It's Friday... most people are out partying. I'm over here playing with rocks
All out of time today... hopefully I get to work on it more this weekend

grantm91
I just finished wiping my glass, and I'm defrosting some mysis and tidying inside the cabinet out, feeding my ocd basically Friday nights like this are the best, those are like my rocks, I have fijI rock also. Is there a rod in the tower you made that looks neat man there is some good height. Edit. Whilst having a cold one.
23001c8fe121081ca4a51d49f9f77cad.jpg

LJC6780
NART said:
So it just dawned on me... I live in a small apartment and curing dry PukanI rocks STINK from what I have heard... oh boy.
After I am done scaping, I am just going to cure
You might wash in a bleach bath before just soaking ... scrub off any debris that may be on them. That will help with the stink!

grantm91 said:
we had an incident where I cut some terracotta pots at the back door and I left it open and the dust got everywherrre like even upstairs lol, I broke rocks too in kitchen I'm still finding fragments every now and then. So I'm an outside diy guy now buy law of the house.
I used the Dremel in my kitchen to sand down a piece of 2x4 as well as to smooth off some sharp edges on some pvc elbows. probably should have done both outside!

Culprit
Cool base structure! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

grantm91 said:
I just finished wiping my glass, and I'm defrosting some mysis and tidying inside the cabinet out, feeding my ocd basically Friday nights like this are the best, those are like my rocks, I have fijI rock also. Is there a rod in the tower you made that looks neat man there is some good height. Edit. Whilst having a cold one.
23001c8fe121081ca4a51d49f9f77cad.jpg
You should see the inside of my 20 high tech fw cabinet... I literally just put everything in there haha. Its such a mess.
Dang nart your RBTA is HUGE. I haven't seen it wit a good sense of scale. Nice FTS btw. Such bright colars (LOL) on the corals.

So as a question what are you going to do with the corals while you scape? Get a bunch of tubs and put them in it or get a big rubbermaid tub from the store and put your heater and powerhead in? Ohhhh what about bio filtration since you'll be scaping with the LR?

Nart
LJC6780 good idea. The bleach bath didn't dissolve the Pukani?
Instead of the dremel I opt'd to use a filer. Less dust kick up and a bit more controlled.

grantm91 niceeee. That's how I should do my fish feeding too haha. I love FijI rock too, been wanting to get my hands on PukanI for so long. I guess this is my trial by error before I get a bigger tank with even more rocks no rods in the middle yet. That base structure you see there was actually formed from me slowly chiseling away from one big piece of rock. I should've taken a before and after photo. But if you look at my first photo with al the pile of rocks. You'll see that piece on the right hand side.

Culprit right?? I'll put something next to it for size reference. You can't even see my small RBTA anymore with the big one covering it lol. I actually have two huge bags of cycled bio-media in the back of my AIO. So I have enough to probably split into three separate tanks if I wanted to. I'm actually going to just do out of tank scape and prep these rocks in a big tub till it's ready to go in my tank. Once it finishes going through the diatom bloom then I'll toss it in my DT and slowly start placing frags over

grantm91
I never knew the name of it before I just bought it lol, but yeah from using it I agree pukanI is the most workable one, its great in every way. You done a good job on that piece, had me thinking it was a stack of 3 skewered on a rod.

Nart
So I decided to soak all the rocks with bleach and felt some aching pain on my hands. Ignored it... continued to load up my run with rocks and bleach... my hand and fingers really ache... okay whatevs.. keep ignoring it. The smell of bleach is too strong so I decided to empty out the tub and neutralize it with vinegar. Looked at both my hands... oh boy. I had tiny bristles stuck all over my hand from the rocks. Some how the rocks I got must've had some kind of dead bristleworm or something.

Boy was it painful. I think I pulled out about 20 now. Also soaked my hands in vinegar for 20minutes. I never came across this subject when handling PukanI rocks. Lesson learned... wear protective gloves because, ouch. My whole hand aches now. I'll keep y'all posted. I think I still have some bristles stuck

Culprit
Oh wow that sounds horrible. OUCH! Haha I was running a XC race today and got stung by a bee in the middle of the race lol. It was in the first 300 meters of it too. Idek how it happened lol.

stella1979
Dang, that s***ks! Never would have thought to be concerned enough about dry rock to wear gloves. It probably wouldn't hurt to stay good and hydrated while you're dealing with this, and maybe some heat for your hands.

I'm imagining your hand feels much like a foot injury I had once.... Bought some great looking, kind of expensive T. Hilfiger sneakers back in the late 90's, (well, my mom did, I was a rotten teenager at the time). Walked all afternoon in them, started complaining that my feet hurt, and Mom got mad, thinking I was being moody and ungrateful, (lol, she feels guilt over that to this day). By the next morning my feet were messed up. It hurt so bad, but only on the bottoms, where there were purple spots. I couldn't touch them at all, they felt just as tender as could be. I couldn't walk! Mom freaked and took me to the ER! The dang shoes gave me deep tissue contusions all over the bottom of my feet. That was my first experience with pain meds. Ended up loopy and stuck on the couch for a week, but hey, I was excused from school.

I don't envy you right now.ops: Hope it feels better soon Nart.

Nart
Haha Culprit... hopefully it was just a regular bee you were stung by and not by a Tarantula Hawk

Oh jeez Stella. You had it worse than me lol.

It wasn't too bad. It was just annoying little ache pains with the remaining bristles I couldn't pull out, so every time my hands hit a bristle against something.. woo wee, catches me off guard with the stings.

Really though, who would have thought? Bristles in dry rocks. Please handle with care all. It's annoyingly terrible trying to pluck the bristles out and if you have terrible vision... forget it. It's worse than trying to loop a string through a needle lol. I'm going to send a email to BRS just to let them know to warn customers to handle with care.

In the mean time I'm busy with handling some last minute anniversary stuff so I just have the rocks soaking in vinegar and water with pumps and heater. Hopefully the vinegar dissolves the bristles and it'll be workable with latex gloves... otherwise I don't know how I am going to aquascape this lol

LJC6780
NART said:
LJC6780 good idea. The bleach bath didn't dissolve the Pukani?
Instead of the dremel I opt'd to use a filer. Less dust kick up and a bit more controlled.

grantm91 niceeee. That's how I should do my fish feeding too haha. I love FijI rock too, been wanting to get my hands on PukanI for so long. I guess this is my trial by error before I get a bigger tank with even more rocks no rods in the middle yet. That base structure you see there was actually formed from me slowly chiseling away from one big piece of rock. I should've taken a before and after photo. But if you look at my first photo with al the pile of rocks. You'll see that piece on the right hand side.

Culprit right?? I'll put something next to it for size reference. You can't even see my small RBTA anymore with the big one covering it lol. I actually have two huge bags of cycled bio-media in the back of my AIO. So I have enough to probably split into three separate tanks if I wanted to. I'm actually going to just do out of tank scape and prep these rocks in a big tub till it's ready to go in my tank. Once it finishes going through the diatom bloom then I'll toss it in my DT and slowly start placing frags over
Bleach didn't dissolve anything but the funk left on the rocks. Mine were fairly clean anyway but there were a few things I noticed that came off. Acid will dissolve the calcium in the rocks ... you could use vinegar, which is milder, to clean some if you wanted ... but I personally would stay away from muriatic acid! That is strong stuff and will dissolve the outer layer in just a few minutes for sure! You'll lose a lot of rock with that! You really don't need much bleach. I filled that tub probably 20 gallons or so and poured a few good splashes in. Maybe a cup at the very most. I didn't measure. Just for reference, it only takes 1 tablespoon per gallon for 30 minutes to disinfect with bleach. I just let it run for a long time (couple weeks?). When I finally dumped the water I'm sure the bleach had dissipated. You can also use Prime in the water to neutralize it. Drying completely will also neutralize the bleach, even if the smell remains.

Just read your post ... I'm not sure vinegar neutralizes bleach. I've never heard that.

Get a bottle brush or smaller vial type brush and run it through the holes ... you can also take outside and Spray with the hose to remove any loose stuff.

Nart
LJC6780 Appreciate it. After the bleach soak, rinsed each rock (this is where I got jabbed my 20-30 bristles..... sigh), went into a 24 hour vinegar soak, and then 2x 24hour plain water soak.

The water isn't as dirty as how some people described it. I actually don't even smell anything anymore except residual bleach.
I bought some heavy duty latex gloves yesterday from Harbor Freight. Drained out all the water last night. Going to do some scaping after I get off work.
Hopefully with the vinegar soak and the heavy duty latex gloves I won't get anymore bristles on my hands
Haven't had a lot of time to work on my projects lately... so it's been a really slow progress.

LJC6780
I'd brush it off good with something before handling again ... just to remove as much as you can and hopefully any more bristles that may be hiding.

And the smelly rock is usually pretty gross to begin with. Lots of new die off or old dead stuff being rehydrated. Mine had only a couple things but they were tucked inside crevices. Mostly the rocks were cleanish to start with.

And I know all about getting busy and not having time. I still haven't pulled any rocks or caught that dang coral beauty. It won't be trapped so I'm going to have to move corals and rocks and net it. I'm going to have to somehow block off half of the tank though. Too many crevices. I wonder how rescaping will go ... can't really pull everything and scape on the floor. Just too much rock and I'd have too much die off. Not to mention I have several rocks with attached corals that couldn't sit out. Sigh ... why can't we just hit pause on time?!

Nart
Progress... kind of lol. Pieces are pretty brittle and I've accidentally broken off my main base structure but I have a really good rock scape in mind.

Slowly starting to create a rock branch out. Just have to wait for epoxy to cure before I can keep adding to it.

IMG_8066.JPG

Culprit
That's going to look so cool! I bet the wifey loves the mess

grantm91
Culprit at diy reefing time that's tidy, if it was me, well I'm not allowed to in the house now. I think he will do a front facing horse shoe with up rises like towers.

Jeepn4x4
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

stella1979
Exciting!!! Can't wait to see it all come together. By the by, how's everyone/thing going with holding all your stock?

KristaD
And how are your hands?

Nart
Culprit haha. I actually cleaned it all up before she got home. It's a hassle to getting the rocks out and putting it away every time I have to work on it... sigh.

grantm91 I'm going for a specific look with lots of depth and different heights. It's hard to describe... but you shall see soon!

stella1979 what do you mean Stella?

KristaD thanks for asking! Hands are a-ok! No **** at all. I wore the heavy duty latex gloves the entire time. Whew.

I'm really excited that the rocks are breaking up like how I want it to with the bigger pieces. It'll move along a lot quicker once the epoxy cures so I have a more stable foundation to work with. It doesn't look like a lot, but I almost used up one stick of epoxy already.

stella1979
I feel like I must have missed something, but I don't know what you've done with all your livestock. Where's the corals, fish, nems...?

Nart
stella1979 ohhhhhh haha. They are all in the IM25 still. Nothing leaves the tank till these rocks are done with the scaping, gone through its curing, and diatom bloom. I'll be doing it all in a tub. Once the rocks are ready then I'll move it over to the IM25. It's a lengthy project.

stella1979
Derp I knew that. A little preoccupied tonight. Trying to ease my mind a little here on Fishlore... got Irma on the brain.

LJC6780
stella1979 said:
Derp I knew that. A little preoccupied tonight. Trying to ease my mind a little here on Fishlore... got Irma on the brain.
I haven't been on top of Irma like I was Harvey ... hope y'all make it through ok. My sister is in Houston but apparently on the high side because they came through with no flooding ... whew!

Nart
Pic of the two RBTAs.
The original one... with the pumps off, the tentacles are long enough that it's taken over the entire rock.

IMG_8073.JPG

With the pump on. It sways pretty neat in the current. Not sure how I am going to incorporate the big RBTA in my new scaping... sigh.

IMG_8075.JPG

Culprit
Oh. My. Gosh. That is insanely huge. On the first pic you could see the colors of the second RBTA though. Looked kind of frosty pink. Why is the bottom left part of your tank bare?

Nart
Culprit Haha - good question about the left bottom part being bare. Ask my Black female clown that. She's been doing that lately to their sleeping spot. Not sure if she's ready to spawn or what.

Yeah - my smaller RBTA has kept it's color. It's a neon pink with neon green in the body.

grantm91
Your bubble tips are nice, I'm feeding my nems tonight, I always do after I do a water change as I feel I owe them something for agitating them lol.

Nart
Some progress on the rockscaping today!

IMG_8088.JPG

Got the branching completed. Hopefully I should be done in the next few days.

IMG_8091.JPG

stella1979 been thinking about you and your family. How are things? Hope all is well...

stella1979
Hugs to you NART We're doing ok for now. My stress level is slowly decreasing, the sun is actually out right at the moment, but it's not over 'till it's over. Glad to still be able to write this to you on the PC though... it's been a bit windy and stormy but not bad enough to knock out power yet.

Culprit
whoa that's looking beautiful!

Nart
Added a piece to the top rock.

Almost done with the scaping. Just can't figure out the bottom left rock. Having trouble balancing out the look of the the scaping.

IMG_8096.JPG

LJC6780
NART said:
Added a piece to the top rock.

Almost done with the scaping. Just can't figure out the bottom left rock. Having trouble balancing out the look of the the scaping.

IMG_8096.JPG
I like that. You've got different branches and different heights and it goes from back left top down to the bottom nicely. Maybe a small stand alone rock in the bottom right front corner? Maybe your GSP rock?

Nart
LJC6780 yup. I actually bought a small "goby" cave/rock from MACNA that I'll be using as the stand alone piece/island.

So here's the completed rockscaping!
I'm pretty happy with it overall. Took a lot of time breaking down the big pieces to workable pieces to fit everything together.

Front view:

IMG_8127.JPG

Top down:

IMG_8125.JPG

Time to cure it! Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

IMG_8131.JPG

grantm91
Amazing, really loving your work NART this is going to be amazing, loving your threads as of late my own stuffs boring me I just keep waiting for the updates on this and the frag tank haha, keep em coming !

Nart
Appreciate it Grant. I can't wait to get it in the tank and start planting corals on it to show y'all the re-scaped tank.

I really couldn't believe how long rock scaping took. Like just one branching section I could easily spend 4+ hours on trying to figure out the proper fitment and how to epoxy it down. ''Tis was quite challenging. Pretty fun though... not sure I am ready to rockscape the frag tank haha

Culprit
Wow its beautiful! That's so cool!

Zerologist
Just watched the thread! Can't wait for the next update!

Happy Fishkeeping!

Nart
Seeing ya'll so excited just on my rocks... is making me excited to see it in the tank too.
Never imagined in a million years, that "rocks" could be so exciting haha.

So on another note.... I have $20 Marine Depot cash back points to spend... what to buy... what to buy... should I dabble into a ReefGlass Protein skimmer?

grantm91
NART !!! I always wanted that reef glass nano for my 16g as I thought it looked so cool and sleek. Couldn't figure out how to get one sent. Id have a dabble now still if I could get one sent they look fun, id go for it, I think Nanologist should get one actually for the 10. I hate the uk at times when it comes to stuff like that.

Nanologist
grantm91 said:
NART !!! I always wanted that reef glass nano for my 16g as I thought it looked so cool and sleek. Couldn't figure out how to get one sent. Id have a dabble now still if I could get one sent they look fun, id go for it, I think Nanologist should get one actually for the 10. I hate the uk at times when it comes to stuff like that.
Haha! NART had just suggested it to me this morning, because I was mentioning doing the DIY skimmer. A future project!

Top Bottom