Nart's Im25 Lagoon Build

Nanologist

If you do get the float valve it's still best to also shut it off manually with a ball valve to stop the water supply. The float valves have been known to fail sometimes allowing water to keep flowing. I've read quite a few horror stories of people having floods because they relied solely on the float valve.

They are still handy to have but you should definitely still go check the unit after awhile and shut it off manually when the container is full.

Last edited:

Nart

So this happened today during my full range water test.
IMG_7255.JPG

Found him floating out still wiggling a bit. Not sure what happened. The tail nip was already there when I got it from my LFS, I didn't think it was a big deal. None of my fishes picked on it either... so sad. I've been Fish death free for awhile too ugh. Rip little guy.

Yeah. I am just installing a float valve as an extra security measure. I wouldn't run the RODI for long periods of time. I also have a valve that controls when I want to produce water so nothing will be on when I'm not making water. Appreciate the heads up though!

Stella. That must've sucked overflowing the place. I can't afford to flood the laundry room. My fish keeping days would be done

Nanologist

Sorry for your loss.

stella1979

Sorry your handsome new guy didn't make it. Who knows what could have caused this so quickly... seems like he might have already had an infection or something when you brought him home, possibly from the fin damage. It sounds like you have a great LFS so I think it's just one of those things that couldn't have been helped.

Nart

And then this happened. Baby nessarius snails!

0bd0091652cfbb80331b0db558a21435.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words. It's never easy losing a fish.
In other news, the tank is doing great! Nitrates are 0.2ppm and phosphates at 0.02ppm even after bombing the tank with loads of baby brine shrimps.

Nanologist

And then this happened. Baby nessarius snails!

View attachment 331168

Thank you all for the kind words. It's never easy losing a fish.
In other news, the tank is doing great! Nitrates are 0.2ppm and phosphates at 0.02ppm even after bombing the tank with loads of baby brine shrimps.
With death comes life.

What test kit do you use for those?

Nart

greenbonsaiI use Salifert for Nitrate and Red Sea for Phosphate. eBay has Salifert test kits for pretty cheap, about $15

Nart

Power went out on me for an hour last week... so what better excuse to get a side gadget for the tank?

IMG_7264.JPG

Back-up battery!
Been meaning to get one actually just because it's such a low cost investment compared to all the hard work and money put into the tank. A few hours without water circulation could quickly go south with all tank inhabitants.

Nanologist

I'm always tossed about whether to get one or not. Have one for my computer but that's just so I have time to save my work and shutdown. The only reason I haven't though is because where I live if we lose power it's usually 5-30min or days... there's no happy in between.

For the outages though I can use the battery powered air pump and stick the sponge filter back in. It'll keep the water moving enough temporarily.

Nart

A hand held battery operated pump is a great idea. The problem for me is when I'm at work, if the power goes out during that time. The tank is SOL. So the only component I have plugged into the backup battery is my power-head

KristaD

Power went out on me for an hour last week... so what better excuse to get a side gadget for the tank?

View attachment 331674

Back-up battery!
Been meaning to get one actually just because it's such a low cost investment compared to all the hard work and money put into the tank. A few hours without water circulation could quickly go south with all tank inhabitants.

What is the brand of your battery? I enlarged the pic but couldn't tell. TIA

Nart

KristaD Ah - I should've mentioned it. It's by APC, bought it from Amazon. If you go check it out, it's in the lower end of battery supplies, meaning it doesn't have a whole lot of juice to run the entire tank's equipment on it, it was only $60. It says it will run a 10W equipment for 4.3 hours. I only have my return pump plugged into it which is 6W, so yeah. Since I lived at my place here, the power has never been out longer than 3-4 hours, so I just needed something to hold me over and give me a peace of mind.

If you are thinking of getting one, I would evaluate your needs to cost of lower or bigger battery supply.

Nanologist

KristaD Ah - I should've mentioned it. It's by APC, bought it from Amazon. If you go check it out, it's in the lower end of battery supplies, meaning it doesn't have a whole lot of juice to run the entire tank's equipment on it, it was only $60. It says it will run a 10W equipment for 4.3 hours. I only have my return pump plugged into it which is 6W, so yeah. Since I lived at my place here, the power has never been out longer than 3-4 hours, so I just needed something to hold me over and give me a peace of mind.

If you are thinking of getting one, I would evaluate your needs to cost of lower or bigger battery supply.
+1 on the APC stuff. All my power surge protectors for tanks and the UPC for my PC are APC. I don't trust any other brand when it comes to that stuff.

Nart

More boring stuff, but the booster pump arrived! It was starting to get overwhelming trying to figure out why my pressure wasn't going up even with the booster pump on. But finally figured it out and it's getting late now... bed time!

89 TDS from my source water. Just after membrane it got to 4 TDS within the first minute! Excited to put in the DI resin tomorrow

IMG_7268.JPG

Hehe. Was too excited this morning. Completed the membrane flush and DI installation.

0 PPM! Boom!
e6cfdcd9bf2ae8a09c1fe89b3489f8da.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

grantm91

I need to stop watching the fun stuff on you tube and do some serious learning about these things, your laughing now fully self sustainable, no more un-necessary trips to the lfs, I really want one.

stella1979

Sweet! Congrats MightyNanoTank !

Nart

grantm91 I find it very interesting to learn more about water filtration and the dynamics of it. You know what's kind of funny? Growing up I always drank RO water. My dad was huge on setting up a RO system at home. I really had no appreciation for it till now. I actually called him up last night and said "hey! you know the RO system you use? How'd you ever know what the TDS was and when to change?". He said he changed it every few years and had no idea what the TDS was. So I showed him the world with gauges and digital TDS meter haha... going to get him some so he can monitor the homes RO water.

What's also funny is I have never checked my LFS's RODI water after I bring it home. I'm pretty sure it's 0 TDS, but I am going to check it later this week just for kicks and giggles.
But yeah, no more lugging 80lbs of RODI water up and down the stairs each week now! Get on the trainnnnnnnn Grant.

stella1979

Agreed Do it Grant!

grantm91

I'm going to eventually %100, my peppermint shrimp passed away last night before I went to bed, he hadn't really been himself since the move, I thoght id leave him in there till morning as a hermit was eating on him, got up this morning my bubble tip has wandered to a new spot, the shrimps completely gone and the BTA looks to just have expelled a piece of the shrimp lol. Also can't wait for you to test the shops TDS lol, I'm going to do it too its a good idea.

Nart

Ahhh yeahhh! Look what's going in the tank today

Got some great deals on these items
IMG_7281.JPG

grantm91

Looks like a nice haul, what nem is that ?

Nart

It's the dendro! And apparently he had to diff strands. One is more common and the other has an orange center which is more rare and more $$$ I went with the rare one lol

Also picked up a nice size rainbow acan colony that my seller hooked it up with.

grantm91

Its like the love child of a nem and an duncan, then it drank some Fanta. Weird and wonderful, can't wait to see that acan once its settled in.

Nart

that's actually a pretty good description of it Grant.

This dendro is already opening and eating. I put in some of the new fatty amino and the whole tank was in feeding mode.

Here are some pics. Excuse some of the other corals looking funny they are munching away.

Top down view of the tank
IMG_7286.JPG

My one and only SPS frag that I got a few months ago. It's a Tubb Stella.
IMG_7287.JPG

Dendro ate already! Even the two little heads on the bottom was able to eat the LPS Marin pellets. Way too much fun feeding it. It eats beastier than my ultra red RFA nem.
b84f45d8ddcd35e1da7bbcca8faea5fc.jpg

grantm91

Good shots, that's a nice varied nano reef, the dendro is a real od ball to me I like it, I'm fascinated by it like I was the Duncan a while ago, Duncans are so under rated I love them for there hardy-ness and the mix of it being like a stony with actual polyps instead of like torch and hammer etc although I like them too is that a frog spawn in pic 2 that's blooming lol.

stella1979

Wow, so super jealous MightyNanoTank The orange centered Dendro is exactly what I want someday. Is that the new acan right next to it? I'm still having a hard time telling the difference between acans and favias.

Also, the amino acid food... is that the one by Korallen-Zucht? I ran across that once on amazon and just looked at it again. It says dosage is 1 ml for 50 gallons so, if that's what you've got, may I ask how you're using it for the IM 25? Seems like it would be easy to over do it in a tank less that 50g.

Nart

grantm91 I love oddball corals. Speaking of oddballs, he had this....

Rhizos. Extremely beautiful and extremely rare. I would've walked out with one if I was living by myself and off ramen lol

Yeah, that's a frogspawn. One of my first frogspawn that I started with. Since, it had split in two and getting huge.

stella1979 you'll get there! Dendro's arn't extremely expensive just hard to find and kind of pricey, $150 range. That's my old Acan! My first acan too. You'll get the hang of it. It's really easy to tell once you start owning your own.

Yes! That is the fatty amino that I got. My seller swears by it so I bought it too. I put it in my tank and wow, everything started plumping up in like 30min. That's the correct dosage, I measure with a pippet, and just do 1/2 ml. So for you just eye the pippet to 1/4 ml ish.

More boring stuff... but got the float valve on the bucket! I've never been this excited about water before haha.

IMG_7292.JPG

Oh I forgot to mention grantm91 yeah. Duncan's are way underrated. Even though they are a beginners coral, and relatively inexpensive. They can easily make a great center piece in any tank when they grow out. Have you seen the green glowing Duncan's? World Wide Coral sells a strand of them.

stella1979

I've been wracking my brain but I just can't get there. What do you mean by this Nart?

LJC6780

No way, never knew that about those things, id probably be in the same boat as you, I'm not allowed one at the moment as the one I want screws in to the water pipe.. lol I want one badly as I'm sick of this.View attachment 330720 my tap and my fw tank every week, the 120 gallon fresh is a nitrate nightmare, I don't mind purchasing the RO for the 32g sw but a system would be great, id use it for all my tanks.

The problem with using it for fresh is that you have to add back in the things fresh water usually replenishes. Which I guess could be better than high nitrates.

Also, the units can usually be attached to anything you want. I have an adapter to feed mine directly from the PEX coming from our home water filter but I currently just have it connected to the water hose outside. Some people connect them to the sink faucet. There are different adapters you can use.

The wife wasn't too happy when she heard that I needed something else for my fish tank haha.

grantm91 they have quick disconnects for the faucets too that you can do as well. Just another option you can look into.

This RODI will definitely save me time and money in the long run so at least I have that. Also going to make it for drinking as well, just to get all my money's worth lol

Another way to save more time and more money (in water) is to upgrade the unit to a 150 by adding double RO. Before I did this I was getting roughly 1:4 clean:waste and after I get more like 2:1 c:w. I also use a pump because it needs to be 80-85psi.

Thank you for the recommendation Stella! I will see if the wife like its. I'm just waiting for the rest of the parts to come next week so I can finish off the RODI build.

stella1979 do you guys use float valves to turn off the water making? Or how do you guys do it?

I have my station outside with brute cans but could just as easily be done on a smaller scale with floats in 6 gal buckets. I think I've told you about my water change station but you have limited room, right? Mine is set up input to RODI out to clean can. Sump pump in clean can with piping to salt can. Flip switch for pump to transfer necessary amount for mixing. I think it's about 14 gallons at the line. I usually keep the clean can filling so I'll have top off water and full water for the next change. I like it leave it all full and mixed in the salt can. I am always needing a bucket here and there.

Anyway to do this on a smaller scale I believe you could install a float valve in the clean bucket and make sure your stop valve is working properly ... mine was not so I ordered another and it solved the problem! Anyway, float on bucket. You can either just pour it over to the next bucket or siphon it or even throw a small pump and tubing in there to fill the salt bucket. Add appropriate salt and get to mixing. Waste would be caught in separate container to be used on plants or the yard ... same system just on a smaller scale.

If you do get the float valve it's still best to also shut it off manually with a ball valve to stop the water supply. The float valves have been known to fail sometimes allowing water to keep flowing. I've read quite a few horror stories of people having floods because they relied solely on the float valve.

They are still handy to have but you should definitely still go check the unit after awhile and shut it off manually when the container is full.

I agree! It totally saved my bacon the other day. Postponed the alarm
And then forgot ... after I got out of my shower and dressed it hit me
That I have flooded the garage! Nope! As I walk out all frantic, I look over to a quiet system and a dry floor. Thank you shutoff valve! I then went ahead and shut off the system but was so happy I didn't fail this time!

Nart

stella1979 I should've given you the entire name. Google "tubbs stellata coral".

Watching "Chasing Coral" on Netflix this morning. Y'all should check it out too.

IMG_7272.jpg
Tanks and Plants Shannah stella1979 grantm91 LJC6780 greenbonsai

Holy smokes......... the Dersa Clam (I think that's what it is) at 1:02:27 mark. Ginormous!

I just finished watching the documentary... and I am just lost for words. Coral lovers and coral beginners should really watch it with their friends and family. Let me know what y'all think of it

stella1979

stella1979 I should've given you the entire name. Google "tubbs stellata coral".

Hahahahahaha! Totally didn't get it. I guess I'm too cool for school, they named a coral after me.

Thanks for the vid recommendation... going to watch that today as it sounds perfect for a quiet Sunday afternoon.

LJC6780

I'm always tossed about whether to get one or not. Have one for my computer but that's just so I have time to save my work and shutdown. The only reason I haven't though is because where I live if we lose power it's usually 5-30min or days... there's no happy in between.

For the outages though I can use the battery powered air pump and stick the sponge filter back in. It'll keep the water moving enough temporarily.

Unless you're not home.

Ahhh yeahhh! Look what's going in the tank today

Got some great deals on these items
View attachment 333026

Is that a dendro? I love mine! One has about 9 small heads around a large one and I think it's about to sprout some more new ones!

that's actually a pretty good description of it Grant.

This dendro is already opening and eating. I put in some of the new fatty amino and the whole tank was in feeding mode.

Here are some pics. Excuse some of the other corals looking funny they are munching away.

Top down view of the tank
View attachment 333056

View attachment 333057

Dendro ate already! Even the two little heads on the bottom was able to eat the LPS Marin pellets. Way too much fun feeding it. It eats beastier than my ultra red RFA nem.
View attachment 333058

Mine likes frozen food too! It will either take a plankton/mysis or even just the juice with bits. I don't feed mine every day either but I feed plenty so my tank is not super clean of nutrients.

grantm91 I love oddball corals. Speaking of oddballs, he had this....

Rhizos. Extremely beautiful and extremely rare. I would've walked out with one if I was living by myself and off ramen lol

Yeah, that's a frogspawn. One of my first frogspawn that I started with. Since, it had split in two and getting huge.

That looks like a blue dendro! I am totally going to look into those!

stella1979 you'll get there! Dendro's arn't extremely expensive just hard to find and kind of pricey, $150 range. That's my old Acan! My first acan too. You'll get the hang of it. It's really easy to tell once you start owning your own.

Yes! That is the fatty amino that I got. My seller swears by it so I bought it too. I put it in my tank and wow, everything started plumping up in like 30min. That's the correct dosage, I measure with a pippet, and just do 1/2 ml. So for you just eye the pippet to 1/4 ml ish.

More boring stuff... but got the float valve on the bucket! I've never been this excited about water before haha.

View attachment 333125

Oh I forgot to mention grantm91 yeah. Duncan's are way underrated. Even though they are a beginners coral, and relatively inexpensive. They can easily make a great center piece in any tank when they grow out. Have you seen the green glowing Duncan's? World Wide Coral sells a strand of them.

Is your float upside down? I'm pretty sure mine aims down so the water line pushes it up and closed.

Nart

LJC6780 the float is installed correctly. Turns off when it's supposed to. I have two different float valve and that one is a bit different

LJC6780

LJC6780 the float is installed correctly. Turns off when it's supposed to. I have two different float valve and that one is a bit different

Just making sure! That would suck if it didn't do what you were expecting!!

Btw, I'm loving your tank! Looks good!

Nart

6:30am wayyy before light goes on and look who was out and about. Love this dendro!!
IMG_7317.JPG

stella1979 did you watch Chasing Coral with the fam last night? What did you think of it?

stella1979

I missed parts of it due to the fam. But, yes, I saw most of it... made me cry a little at the beginning when they were in FL. I've seen those dead coral beds. And, when they were diving from a party boat on the GBR, all those people having a great time and not even aware of what was going on beneath them. I'll not forget that one line about what the corals would say if they could..., "Look at me. Please notice!", with that mind blowing aerial shot. A very impactful story for sure. Sometimes I feel guilty about keeping coral, other times I feel like if coral isn't kept in captivity, then there won't be any left for future generations. Definitely thought provoking. Thanks for sharing Nart... I'm going to put it back on later today. I'm not sure how much, but I missed a bit at the end.

Nart

Did you happen to see that hugeeeeeeeeeee dersa clam at the 1:02:27 mark? Like, holy smokes........ I knew they get big, but wow, it really is breath taking seeing it in video, I can't even imagine in person. I'm glad you watched it. It really is alarming isn't it? To know that there's a huge chance that all the corals will go extinct in our life time. I didn't know the situation was that dire. Just from a quick google of "Great barrier reef" and you'll see recent topics and articles about corals bleaching. I was really taken back watching it.

You know what's kind of funny? When I first got into college, my passion and major was Marine Biology. I did a semester of it till my mom said "get into a major more practical to make good money". During that time studying Marine Bio, I enjoyed every moment of it. Going out on boat trips to study and take samples of the ocean. But sadly, I changed my major to Business and left that passion behind. It wasn't until a couple of years ago I picked up the fish hobby again and after seeing that documentary I think it's starting to bring that passion back. I don't even know where to begin or how I can help, but I want to get involved in trying to save the corals.

You know what... I personally wouldn't feel guilty about keeping corals. I think if we don't do anything in trying to save the corals from bleaching in the ocean, ultimately in our lifetime, and according to their trend, 20-30 years from now... nearly all corals would be extinct in the wild. It would be up to hobbyist's and these aquaculture facilities in keeping these corals thriving and propagating it for future generations to enjoy and learn. In a few years, I am going to set-up a larger system, with a reverse under-gravel system to help preserve some of these corals.

stella1979

Missed the clam... darn kiddos! I tried to watch during nap time but the SO also decided that would be a good time to connect the new surround sound (BOSE!!! had to get that up before GOT.) Then, the LO didn't want to sleep too much. So, yeah, a rewatch of the last hour is required.

I don't know where to begin either but awareness seems like a good start. I'll be spreading the word about this documentary at least. I'm a pretty big fan of Bill Nye as well. He's been warning us about global warming for years.

I actually feel less guilty than I did prior to watching this. The idea of hobbyists and preservation felt a little strange before, almost like I was using it to make myself feel better. Seeing how bad it really is was truly alarming and it changed my mind about that.

I bet your business knowledge can be of great use to you in your endeavor to help the corals.

Nart

The nassarius snails were making me nervous as they were burying themselves under the dendro. As a result, the dendro got moved ridiculously close on the sand bed right next to my big orange RFA who nearly killed my green mushroom a few weeks ago. I didn't want to chance it this time so I placed it on the spot that I had reserved for it once it was acclimated.

(Right side view of the glass panel)
0f0209368a6a5e2737e231f6c19e4883.jpg

In the pic you'll see my two RFAs are now in the back as I was pumping too much flow in the front. My blasto colony grew quit a bit too.

stella1979

Wondering what went on between the RFA and your mushrooms... Were they just too close or was the nem actually going after them?

Nart

Ah. Apologies if I made you worried. Usually if the RFA steps on other corals, it's no biggie. Some of my corals has been stepped on by the RFAs with no issues because I didn't know where to properly place them in the beginning. So eventually they moved away from areas with medium flow and above. What happened was I had a nice nuclear green mushroom from WWC on my rock, right above the RFA, I got lazy and only dabbed a little bit of glue on the mushroom frag. One of the trochus snails must've bulldozed it accidentally it. the mushroom landed face down on top of the RFA. When I got home that's when I discovered it and pulled it off. Mushroom was hurt pretty badly, but slowly recovering.

Last edited:

LJC6780

The nassarius snails were making me nervous as they were burying themselves under the dendro. As a result, the dendro got moved ridiculously close on the sand bed right next to my big orange RFA who nearly killed my green mushroom a few weeks ago. I didn't want to chance it this time so I placed it on the spot that I had reserved for it once it was acclimated.

(Right side view of the glass panel)
View attachment 333925

In the pic you'll see my two RFAs are now in the back as I was pumping too much flow in the front. My blasto colony grew quit a bit too.

Mine are on the tank floor ... one is sort of shaded and the other unfortunately gets moved in the current sometimes. I'm not sure how true but I've read that they prefer a shaded area ... but are not photosynthetic. Mine do usually open fully during the day but are often extremely open and full at night.

I've had that happen with corals getting too close or falling on my yumas! Those are some aggressive suckers and they will stretch out to grab a coral! I accidentally moved my plug rock (I'm guessing with the glass scraper) a little too close to the yuma rock and caught a mushroom eating one of my acans!

Nart

LJC6780 yeah - it is true that they are non-photosynthetic. When I purchased from my seller he told me his can be kept under high lighting, as his sits right underneath some T5s and with some reefbrite LEDs. Wow, I didn't know Yuma's are aggressive, Yuma's sting?

grantm91

The rfa just grew on me can't believe they are not photosynthetic, I never research them so wouldn't know but now I do I think its cool they are just colourful carnivores.

Nart

Wait... are we talking about RFA's or Dendros? RFA's are photosynthetic, requires light, but enjoys supplemental feeding.

Dendros are the non-photosynthetic ones and requires food to be kept alive and well.

grantm91

I thoght that, I just read else where too they are not photosynthetic, I'm going to do some more looking as I think they are.

Nart

grantm91 I'm curious, where did you see the article where it says are non-photosynthetic? I just want to know so I can stay away from that site lol. They are photosynthetic.

grantm91

Haha b1b1175b6dd88c67afee8d75743d6425.png this genius lol it was just the first thing I came across because I thought lcj ment the rfa.

Nart

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense now. To those newcomers reading and for clarification.
Rock Flower Anemones (RFA) = photosynthetic, but supplemental feeding substantially helps it grow and thrive.
Dendros = non-photosynthetic, and will need to be fed regularly. Talking about gainsssss though

LJC6780

LJC6780 yeah - it is true that they are non-photosynthetic. When I purchased from my seller he told me his can be kept under high lighting, as his sits right underneath some T5s and with some reefbrite LEDs. Wow, I didn't know Yuma's are aggressive, Yuma's sting?

Don't know if they sting or just eat other corals. My potato chip coral fell on the yuma one time and is missing a lot of tissue. It seems to be recovering but the yuma got it pretty good. I really need to mount that plug with some putty!

I thoght that, I just read else where too they are not photosynthetic, I'm going to do some more looking as I think they are.

I've also heard both. I was under the impression rfa were photo but appreciated meaty food but when I mentioned mine had chosen a spot under my rocks someone said they weren't. Either way, it's now moved to the back side of the rocks so it's getting light now. Unfortunately it's not where I can see it to feed it so I hope it's in a good flow area so it can catch food in the water. I really wish it would move out front so I could see it! It's a really pretty red and orange.

My Yuma rocks.
These are on a base rock and I just had to pluck a few because they were killing some heads of hammer that were nearby.
d2dc1b9eb0ff6efda1d27eb15c669d1d.jpg
These are on their own rock. They are the ones eating all the other corals.
ec5b3773f0946dcaa58aae3694566961.jpg

These are the dendros. Love them!
8255431b2f4537db7d10edaeeeab5654.jpg
31a0e151f2f264e97c4eef10bfaf1d41.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom