Nart's Im25 Lagoon Build - Round 2!!!

1. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Hellooooooooooooooo...

Welcome to my Round 2 thread. If you are new, where's Round 1? Here: Nart's Im25 Lagoon Build
    If you don't feel like sifting through all that I will summarize below.

Basically.... I am re-doing my entire tank!
    When I first started off my 15G reef tank, it was definitely neat, but very short lived as I wanted a slightly larger and better tank. Decided to upgrade to a Innovative Marine 25 gallon Lagoon and has since been a money pit haha. That's half the fun in this hobby right?

Let's take a step in memory lane...

The 15G that I started out with...
    IMG_5097.jpg

Went through several re-scaping.
    IMG_5289.jpg

Finally decided I wanted a better tank.
    Born, the IM25 Lagoon...
    IMG_6055.jpg

Many months later, new equipment, corals...
    Here is the tank now.
    IMG_7672.jpg

As I continued with my saltwater journey, I noticed I have never been quite happy with my tank. Something was off. I couldn't figure out why till I sifted through my pictures along the way... Then it dawned on me. I was always too impatient with my rock-scaping. When I had set-up the 15 gallon, I rushed the scaping job. Moving the 15G over to the 25G I had to rush it too... so I never sat down and actually just focused on rock-scaping to my liking.

So this time... I am re-doing my whole tank!
    I will be off to MACNA this weekend and hopefully I will find some rock-scaping and coral-scaping inspiration. Upon my return I will be setting up holding tanks where I will be keeping all the live stock from my 25G. My IM 25G will be completely empty. While I am at it, I'll be cleaning the entire tank too... bye bye spirorbs, pineapple sponges, algae, and all the bio-diversity that's been growing back there.

I will be getting rid of these "life rocks" and my choices with the new rocks are...
    Pukani
    Reef Cleaner
    Stax

I will definitely take my time with rockscaping this time around and possibly use acrylic rods in the process in creating arches. If I end up going with Pukani, it is going to take me 1-2 months to cure it.

Main focus with the IM 25 this time around... I want to take the scaping to the next level.
    I want to focus on what artists and photographers focus on: Balance, color, and depth.
    So... my three focuses are...

#1 The rule of thirds - Artists utilizes this technique in making art more dynamic.
    #2 Complimentary colors for coral placement - draw viewers visually to make certain coral colors pop
    #3 Depth - Create depth to a small tank.

I will be updating with pictures and videos of this tank revision... so... buckle in on this journey with me :D

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Oh wow. This is gonna be amazing! I can't wait to see you work your magic. Your tank has changed so much! I can definitely see where better rock scaping could take your tank from really pretty, to absolutely stunning!

Just want to say too... you're coral growth is crazy!

3. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I will be rescaping too so I'm hoping I can learn a thing or two!

4. OP
    OP
    Nart

What's better than a RBTA?

Two RBTAs
    IMG_7841.JPG

Went to just check out this LFS near me that I just found out about... they mainly sell high end fishes. Think I spent about an hour there with the owner telling me how rare some of the fishes he got in are. I looked at him and said "umm yeah... I'm really not into fishes all that much" he's like "omg... if a fish geek walked in right now they'd be in heaven" it was probably really funny to see me have zero clue what those fishes are.

Anyways... he asked if he could get me anything and showed me this baby RBTA. I told him I had one and showed him a picture. He said "that's not a true Bubble tip anemone. The one I have is bright neon and retains its bubble" and surely enough he showed me under some led lights and wow. I couldn't walk out without it. Y'all know me. I like the eye catching coral pieces... asked him how much. $30... I said sold! Probably not the best idea to get a RBTA especially with me leaving town tomorrow fingers crossed everything stays alive.

Mangrove anyone? going to try my hand in one of these plants. Also giving y'all an idea of what my re-scaping is going to be ;)
    IMG_7838.JPG

5. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

Gorgeous man, between you and @grantm91 I am going to end up covered in corals LOL!

6. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Where did you get that??? Are mangroves selling at stores? I am so excited to see what you do with it!

I love mangrove trees! They are also protected in the Keys and along with corals... don't touch! It's a pretty big deal actually, you can be arrested for messing with the mangroves in protected areas. They're also tough little trees.., I've known people to tie up their boats to mangroves when a hurricane is coming. Docks and marinas can get serious damage but those mangrove 'forests' aren't going anywhere!;)

7. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

The mangrove is an awesome addition!

@stella1979 that's funny they're so protected with the population and how strong they are!

8. OP
    OP
    Nart

I can't wait for this neon pink/red BTA to open up so I can show to y'all. I've only heard about RBTAs being this bright. This is my first time actually seeing one this bright in person.

@Tragic13 once you go into the dark side... it's over. Look at Stella. She's knee deep into corals lol

@stella1979 it's rare to find em in my stores here but this new fish LFS that I found was selling it. And I was actually looking for it too for my new scaping. He had more, but I decided to just try one out first to see if I can even get it to live. The owner told me it's super easy to keep and to just spray fresh water on it's leaves and wipe it a few times a week... so we shall see if they live up to it's tough little tree status lol

9. Culprit

Wow... I saw the email alert and all I saw was "what's better then one RBTA, two!" and I was like NO WAY aloud so my mom is like what? And I go NART JUST GOT ANOTHER RBTA and shes like, your crazy lol. ITS soooo pretty.

Heheh thats why I knew I was gonna have to be able to grow corals... NO way am I getting sw without corals. Its my favorite part for me already and I don't even have any haha.

10. stella1979

Dropping a little homegrown knowledge... seriously, every fifth grader around here is taught to revere the mangroves.

I don't know the precise laws but you don't mess with them in national parks and before cutting them elsewhere, you better get a permit from the state. It seems like we have a lot of mangroves here but there used to be so much more before the development of south FL. Mangroves are vital for reducing erosion, a lesson that has been hard learned around FL's coastlines. Also, they are vital to the ecosystem to provide nursery areas for fish, nesting for birds and feeding an abundance of creatures by acting as a natural filter, collecting detritus and whatnot. They were my forests to explore as a kid but instead of squirrels or maybe a bear, I found urchins and small sharks.

I would love to have a mangrove of my very own like Nart.. might have to start working on the hubby about that for a future build. In the meantime I'm so excited to see how this goes.

Edit: Please forgive me, I got so excited about the tiny tree that I forgot something... Congrats on the new nem @NART !!! That color is awesome! Can't wait to see it opened up.

11. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Haha the nems are cool man, animal meets coral, seen a neon green baby for just £5 today on my buy and sell site, i have no room for another wanderer though. However I'm going to see it again as i just flew past it and didn't have a close inspect lol.

12. OP
    OP
    Nart

@Culprit legitttt! That's when you know you're a hardcore reef addict and don't even know it yet.

@stella1979 I've been reading up on caring for these mangroves. Didn't know about all this laws protecting them. I'm going to catch up on that reading. I really wish I had a long tank now, so I could make it a peninsula style scaping.

As excited as I am. Totally a terrible impulse time to buy..... I'm not too afraid of it venturing around my tank stinging things. I'm more afraid of it dying and killing the tank fingers double crossed lol

13. stella1979

I'll keep your tank in my thoughts while you're away... maybe the power of positive thinking will help! lol, that's what my Momma always says.;) I'll be biting my nails until the post-MACNA update.:nailbiting: Have fun! Don't forget the camera! I can't wait to hear all about it!

You're leaving tomorrow, yes? And returning Monday? Do you have room to throw a whole bunch of carbon in just in case it might help avert disaster? In reading about planaria today, I learned that it can poison your tank when the colony dies. Running a large amount of carbon is recommended to combat the toxins. Just an idea...

14. OP
    OP
    Nart

Great minds think alike @stella1979 yeah I have a big bag of carbon in there already. Tank is vacation mode ready!

Look how massive this RBTA is... I'm not even sure if can fit it in my re-scaped tank lol
    fb00c2cd2aad1f56e19db542105ac41e.jpg

Used the gel filters to take a pic of my prized Ultra Red RFA.
    IMG_7846.JPG

15. Culprit

Dude... You're RBTA is huge! The colors on that RFA tho :eek::hungry::woot:

16. grantm91

Man i am slacking i need a RFA like that in my life !!!

17. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

What filter are you using? I use the orange one and it makes everything look normal colors. Everything still looks very blue ... just curious.

18. OP
    OP
    Nart

Some picture sharing time from MACNA!

Met George, Coralfish12g. Superrrrrrr chilll guy. Tall as heck too lol.
    IMG_7950.JPG

Was interviewed by Fincaster
    IMG_7955.JPG

All the free stuff and bought a few magnetic rocks
    IMG_7953.JPG

The wife might want a jelly fish tank now

19. stella1979

Been waiting for this one... First MACNA post, YAY!!!!

20. grantm91

Wow haha. The guy him self !!! Them rocks are great, love the mario style looking beginer coral thing haha.