Nart's Im10 Fusion Build

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by Nart, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Here's my new thread for my Innovative Marine 10 gallon journey.
    To those who are new to my 10 gallon journey check out my 10G Frag tank adventure for kick's and giggles: Nart's 10g Frag Tank Adventure

Just to sum it up... got a free 10 gallon petco tank. I bought some acrylic and converted it to an AIO set-up. A few weeks later, strolled into Petco and got suckered into a juvenile Picasso clown that was looking skinny and bullied. Sat down to enjoy my DIY 10G AIO tank, and just thought that my terrible DIY didn't do anything in the tank justice.

Born, the IM10 Fusion Build...
    Ready? Let's start the new journey... I promise, this will be a more permanent build and 10 times more fun

Caught a great deal on the IM10 tank along with Kessil lights. The guy who sold me this stuff took great care of his tank and equipment. Not a single scratch on the tank glass or lights. I was impressed. @stella1979 You need to get on a local reef club forum and find some deals on an IM tank!
    IMG_8270.JPG

Testing the equipment (puppy wanted to help)
    IMG_8272.JPG

Making a screen lid... (The guy who sold me this stuff texted me a day after I made it "hey - I was cleaning up my fish stuff and found the lid/clips I got the for tank. It's yours if you want") Doh!!
    IMG_8291.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

Started on the rock-scaping with my left over Pukani from my IM25.
    IMG_8295.JPG

@LJC6780 "Rockscaping" is really just legos for Reefers and 10 times more frustrating... I don't have the eye for scaping at all. I just sit there for hours messing with 3 pieces of rock until I think I have something haha.
    IMG_8296.JPG

Still working on the rock-scape, but here's the tank on it's new furniture piece.
    Took @Nanologist advice of "I don't limit myself to just aquarium stands..." So the wife and I searched around and found this from Target. $60 with a $10 Target gift card, score!
    I took the extra step and wood-glued everything and used loc-tite on every single screw. The stand is solid.
    IMG_8311.

With everyone's great suggestions... I think I am going to turn this tank into an all Anemone tank. Bubble tip anemone, rock flower anemone, and mini maxi anemone. @grantm91 you having an anemone itch yet?

The goal for this tank is to keep everything simple and low-maintenance. No extra equipment asides from a heater, lights, and pump. No testing. No dosing. Just feeding, water top offs, and weekly maintenance.

2. Ernest Sacco

Ernest SaccoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds cool man....i just added corals to my new 29 gallon salt water tank....im waiting a few more months to get my anemone....probably going to go with a bubble tip but I'm open to other options....can you really house that many anemones together in a 10 gallon?

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Almost forgot about the rescued clown.
    This is him at the store. Very skinny with nipped fins and very prone to ich as the entire central system had noticeable ich on the other fishes.
    IMG_8238.

They gave me a 50% discount knowing that I had a QT tank to treat him. So far him, and his yellow-line goby buddy are doing well and eating in the 10G DIY AIO frag tank.
    IMG_8251.

You probably notice some corals I threw into the tank as well. Testing it to see how the parameters are holding up... with the cycled bio-media I put in this tank for an instant cycle and also added Bio-home media from my buddy @Tanks and Plants. Corals are now doing really well, i'll have to get an updated pic of the tank soon.
    Tagging @Lchi87 in this to get her over to the dark side too
    @Culprit get on your reef tank!

@Ernest Sacco For the most part yes, if you know what you are doing. All the different species of anemones occupy different spaces in the tank. So they'll have enough room away from other species. Just have to keep an eye on how quickly Nitrates/Phosphates climb depending on how heavily they are fed.

4. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,607
    Experience:
    4 years
    This is off to a flying start with the fact its a IM and there is a kessil on board haha, cant wait to see stock starting to appear a nem here a nem there lol, i need a new project like this but i am broke at the moment but il be idea shopping on your thread @Nart .

5. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hahaha..... and let me do the shopping for you Grant

Hey - so need ya'lls opinion/thoughts.

Bare bottom tank or sand?
    I was thinking of growing GSP on the bottom glass... but if I put my RFA nems and mini maxi nems. It'll just stick the GSPs to death. So maybe sand?

Thoughts of getting the Picasso clown a clown buddy? Not too worried about bio-load, but I dunno. Feels weird putting two clowns in a small foot-print tank.
    Maybe just leave the fish stocking to 1 clown and 1 engineer goby? or.. get another goby of some sort.

6. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    Yeahhhhhh this is amazing. Wow I wish I could drive I would totally go to my local reef club and get a IM 20 or 25 :hungry:. Yes I know!!! I'm going to ask my parents as soon as I get a good chance... ya know, make dinner, clean everything up, make desert, take em out on the porch haha.

Oh wow a kessil I can't wait to see all your nems.The tank is beautiful and u found a perfect stand for it too. This makes, what, 3 saltwater tanks now? INcluding the AIO 10 build for QT which I'm sure you'll keep running. If I was u I would make that 10 AIO a gsp/pulsing xenia tank. Completely cover the sides except for 2 and the rockwork with them. That would look sick

7. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Experience:
    1 year
    FINALLY was able to follow the tag to find the post!

I would think the clown pair would be fine after watching mine only occupy the same small space, even in a 4' long 85 gallon! They will probably huddle together and play in the nems.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Haha. @Culprit yeah. I'm at three tanks, but no desire to try and run three. I'll be closing that 10G DIY soon after I get this IM10 up and running.

@LJC6780 thanks for the input LJC. If I can find another designer clown from petco I'll put it in with it. I hope it learns to like BTAs so I can at least have the pleasure to see the symbiotic relationship.

9. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +10,420
    Experience:
    3 years
    What's funny is I didn't even see this mention but somehow found my way over here on my own anyway haha, its a sign! Super excited to be following.

10. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Check it out.......... I found that my 5G FW tank that I had just shut down fits perfectly into the bottom shelf.
    ATO container... score!
    IMG_8317.

Haven't had much time to work on any of the tanks. Been spending a lot of time re-arranging all the furniture around the apartment to make things work.

The more I think about the Kessil A160WE lights... I might sell it. It's a little too much for the tank, also the fan noise low-key bothers me. I might go for the Kessil A80 instead.
    If anyone wants to buy the Kessil A160WE lights off me... let me know! haha.

11. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years

You can always just put it somewhere out of the way, and fill it up whenever you need a QT tank... Lots of uses for a QT. New corals, new fish, sick fish, sick corals, ect.

12. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,030
    Experience:
    3 years
    Looks like we'll both have 10g RFA/MM gardens! I like the "stand" you found too. Looks like it fits your room decor and perfectly fits the tank underneath, so a win-win huh?

I was looking at this IM 10g but still leaning towards the 20g because of the shape/footprint. Although, I'm not glued into a permanent rockscape yet, I really like the shelf type arch I've made and think it will display a RFA/MM garden nicely as long as they stay up front. Your bonsai tree rock scape approach looks great though and you have me thinking of some sort of a compromise. I know Petal for one would hate not having her archway to hangout under when the cats are hunting her...

13. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @Nanologist yeah. Really liking this stand. Fits the color scheme of my dining room. You should lean towards the IM25 kidding. I know you got a piece of furniture already that fits the IM20.

Got the rockscaping done!

In n' out of the tank and kept re-doing the rocks till I liked it.
    IMG_8321.JPG

The finished product.
    IMG_8328.JPG
    IMG_8326.JPG
    IMG_8332.JPG

After seeing the completed rockscaping in the tank, I am going to go with sand on the bottom instead of having it bare.

14. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +10,420
    Experience:
    3 years
    I need this in my life! Looks like a beautiful sculpture; nice job!

15. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Experience:
    1 year
    Dude! It totally looks like it could be a macroalgae fuge display! You should use it like that instead! It does fit perfectly in that space!

How much for the Kessil??

16. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    Looks like its going to be perfect for whatever corals you use. I think like you've said, especially with this hardscape, a carpet coral like zoas or gsp and then nems on the top and rfas on the sides!

17. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @LJC6780 Macroalgae display huh? That would be neat too... but then I would have no space for some of my other corals during my IM25 re-scape. I'm really going to think on this one.
    Sent you a PM on the lights.

Anddd... it's time to cure it. In tank curing. Let's go!
    IMG_8335.JPG

Oh... check out the DIY 10G AIO tank now.

IMG_8343.JPG

I got annoyed looking at the clutter in the IM25 day in and day out. So I just shoved a bunch of corals over.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  18. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,030
    Experience:
    3 years
    Well now I want to see the IM25!

19. OP
    OP
    Nart

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ask and you shall receive! Posting pics on my IM25 thread.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  20. Culprit

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    Is that a little goby I spy in the 10 AIO? What's that bright blue coral front and center frag rack?