Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners | Page 4

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Nart, Jan 25, 2018.

1. platy21

platy21Well Known MemberMember

Thanks @Nart ! Can't wait to get the tank setup. I'll be on the forum with a ton of questions once I actually get my hands wet lol.

2. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

Thank goodness you decided to write this down. (Type it out?) I have been debating over a year now about setting up a salt water tank--but every time I did research my head would spin.

I didn't want to go to my reef store knowing nothing (I haven't ever been there, and wanted to know what was up before going. Because if its anything like the fresh water one-- they make problems worse not better. Because they are out for a quick buck.)

I will be getting a house soon and be using your guide to help set myself up! I was planning on a 20 long, but have always been told the bigger the better for salt water? But all I want is a pair of clownfish and their anemone. (I am thinking of a entacmaea quadricolor for the record).

I will be doing my own thread for it once we settle on a place. I am excited.

3. OP
    OP
    Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

@Lunnietic I'm glad you found my guide useful! It's a long read, but covers most of what you need to know.
    A 20 Long is perfect................ like literally. Are you on Instagram? You should find me on there "@MightyNanoTank" I have my new 20g Long build on there and it's the perfect tank.
    Entacmaea quad is basically a bubble tip anemone, they come in various colors and are perfect for a tank that size.
    Can I make a recommendation? If you're planning on a ocellaris or percula clown and wanting the anemone to host the clowns, my recommendation is buy the pair of clowns that's already hosting the anemone. It's a hit or miss trying to see that symbiotic relationship with those particular type of clowns. A more likely hosting, would be a maroon, clarkii, or skunk clown. Those type of clowns will take to bubble tip anemones more than ocellaris or percula clowns.
    Good luck!

4. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

Wait. Does this mean I do not have to have an anemone to keep clownfish? I was under the impression that it was a must. I do not nesscessarily want baby clownfish, just want them to live the best life possible.

5. OP
    OP
    Nart

@Lunnietic Exactly. No clowns need anemones. Most clowns nowadays that are sold in stores are captive bred in bare-bottom tanks with no anemones in it. So most haven't even seen anemones. However, just because they haven't seen anemones doesn't mean they will not take to an anemone. Some clown species have it in their instinct, to naturally know how to go into an anemone. I will say though, seeing that clown and anemone symbiotic relationship is beyond neat, especially if you're ready to take on an anemone.
    Clowns really don't ask for much though, and with time they bond and get used to you. So much so that when I have my hands working in the tank it doesn't even phase them and will readily eat from your fingers.

6. Marco Rodriguez

Marco RodriguezWell Known MemberMember

For the RO/DI system. Do you just put your tap into it? And the system clears out TDS for you? I’m confused as to how they work

7. OP
    OP
    Nart

Exactly. Your waterline feeds into this RODI unit. The end result, after going through all the filters should give you pure H2O free of any total dissolved solids.

8. aquanerd13

aquanerd13Valued MemberMember

I am not so sure about the whole reef think. I am definitely on a budget. About how much would everything cost?

9. DaddyDeet

DaddyDeetValued MemberMember

Depending on size, it can certainly be affordable. Will it be free? Nope. But depending what kind of tank you want (FOWLR or Reef) cost can vary greatly.
    Patience and labor are also worth quite a bit in this hobby. A lot of expensive equipment really only exists to lower maintenance efforts.

10. aquanerd13

What is the best beginner size for a reef talk? On average, how much would that size cost for a reef tank?

11. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

If your interested I would start a thread, you'll get more responses and even if you decide not to we can get a lot more in depth about what would need to happen. Its not easy to pin down an exact price, as a lot of times you can get less equipment by doing more maintnence.

12. aquanerd13

Ok thank you. I will start a thread.

13. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

I will be reading back through this thread again soon with hopes to have my plans lined out by Christmas time. My hopes are to start buying the big stuff as Christmas presents from my husband to me, lol. Lots of research left to do, but I will start a thread soon to begin that journey.

This thread will be the best starting point!!