Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners | Page 3

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Nart, Jan 25, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

@Culprit LOL. no need to bump anymore. it's been stickied.

2. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Well, it'll make it show up on the new posts for a bit lol

3. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

And that's a good thing. :)

4. Waterloo

WaterlooValued MemberMember

Thanks to @stella1979 I am here reading this and thank you! Was a huge help trying to get a better understanding on where to begin.

5. salt&cich4l

salt&cich4lNew MemberMember

thank you! What are your thoughts on distilled water? I am setting up a nano in a college faculty lounge. Luckily, there is a distilled water system in the lab. I have a limitless supply of distilled water a few feet away from the tank.

6. DaddyDeet

DaddyDeetValued MemberMember

I believe distilled is a good substitute for ro/di water. If theres a lab nearby with equipment, can you score a TDS meter to test it?
    If not, I do believe (I'm far from an expert) that distilled water is ok.

7. salt&cich4l

Yes, someone is bringing a TDS meter to test it tomorrow. Does it need to score a 0.

8. salt&cich4l

9. DaddyDeet

DaddyDeetValued MemberMember

As far as I'm concerned it needs to be 0...but that's only because I dont know any better.. lol

10. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

If the water scores a zero on the TDS meter, and distilled should, then you're good to go.:)

@salt&cich4l - please do make a build thread for your tank and any questions you have for it. Feel free to tag the salty members you see here in your thread by typing the @ symbol in front of any username. We'd love to follow along. :) Also, this thread is more of an instructable, and your own thread would be much better suited to keeping track of all the info shared on your setup. Trust me, our salty team is small here, but we all get excited about a new build, and love to help.:p Hope to see more of you soon.;)

11. salt&cich4l

I am not exactly sure how to do that but I will try.

12. Culprit

It doesn't have to be exactly 0, I'd say as long as its under 20 you'll be good for softies and easy fish.

Just, say, if I want to tag you, type the @ symbol, then type their screen name. E.g. @stella1979 @salt&cich4l

13. Waterloo

WaterlooValued MemberMember

Yes, I need more SW threads to follow! :D:D

14. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

@Nart - just wanted to say great write-up mate.
    I've been away for awhile, this is a great guide for the nano keeper. I'm not a fan nano myself, actually, let me correct that, pico setups (too much work).
    I shut my reef down a few years ago, but maybe I'll start a 20 mixed reef soon (though I still have my tank and equipment from the ~70.... :emoji_thinking:)

15. OP
    OP
    Nart

@ryanr Thank you for going through my guide! I need to go through it again to see if I need to update anything, but truly, I am humbled. Thank you again.
    It's funny you say that... because I was actually wondering just the other week if you still had your reef tank up!
    You need to hop on Instagram with the rest of us, it's a quick platform to do quick updates for me. I'm actually in the process of working on a 20g long build... it's going to be loads of fun.
    I think you should definitely join the 20g long family too :) don't you think so too @stella1979 @Culprit ?

16. Culprit

20 long fan club right here! I love mine. Good footprint for fish stocking, and easy to light!

17. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

That’s what I will use when I get ready to take the plunge. I have a double stack that I plan to free up sometime in the future. I will make the bottom one a sump and just put a cover over it to get it out of view.
    I gotta get the freshwater tanks under control and minimized first. Maybe next year I can go salty. I am really looking forward to the vibrant color fish and corals.
    This will be my go to thread when I get started for sure. And my salty FL friends of course!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  18. platy21

platy21Well Known MemberMember

Pretty sure I’ve read this write up about six times and learn something new each time, thanks @Nart! So excited to pick up my tank this weekend.

19. salt&cich4l

update-the TDs is missing in action, but the distilled water seems to be working great, my polyp corals and fish look good....I have not seen any growth of nuisance algae yet. The parameters are solid.

20. OP
    OP
    Nart

@platy21 ah!! I’m glad it helped you and sooo excited for you!