Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners | Page 2

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Nart, Jan 25, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

I've been seeing a lot of new reef tanks recently. Figured I would give this a bump to help any beginners.

2. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Keep bumping it please! Some of us will not be going salty for a while yet and this will be a big help!

3. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I do my best to keep an eye out for new reef tanks around here. ;) What do you think of the new signature guys? Too much?

4. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

I cannot see signatures on the ap.

5. stella1979

Aww shucks. :( I prefer to Fishlore on the laptop and sometimes forget how many of us use the app or the mobile site. My signature now includes, "New Reefers, check this out :) --> Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners "

6. OP
    OP
    Nart

Great idea on the signature Stella! i'll have to do that too. a lot easier to link people.

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

This should be a sticky.

8. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

@Nart maybe you can just copy+paste this into an article and submit? Creating a resource earns you trophy points anyhow :;banana1

9. OP
    OP
    Nart

I didn’t even know you could do that lol

10. OP
    OP
    Nart

Just bumping ya know...

11. stella1979

Did you see?!?!?? It's stickied!:D:D:D

12. Jay Chen

Jay ChenValued MemberMember

Very helpful

13. lewrine

lewrineNew MemberMember

I know it's not easy to start with saltwater venture but thanks to guidelines that we can follow to make things easy. I'm planning to try saltwater soon and I hope I can get through with it just like the way I handle aquarium.

14. stella1979

This is an excellent guide, and you can do it! I'll say that it seemed very difficult before I got started, but understanding comes and things get easier as you put ideas into practice. Best advice? Take it slow.;)

15. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

As someone for whom saltwater is (possibly) in the far-distant future, may I say “thank you” for this excellent and concise write-up? I do have one question. If you want coralline algae to grow in your tank, would you have to start with live rock, or can you buy algae cultures, or what? Everything I’ve read seems to place great importance on coralline algae, but it’s not clear to me if that’s just aesthetic or if it’s serving an important role in the tank.

16. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

I’m not Nart and I’m relatively new to this myself (my tank is only 7 months old) but I think coralline algae is a sign of good tank health and a maturing tank. There are bottled cultures out but I can’t speak to its effectiveness because I grew mine naturally. Some sw critters do use it as a food source.

17. stella1979

As a student of @Nart 's, I hope it's okay that I chime in here too. :)

Yep, coralline is a sign of good health, is pretty, and some critters use it as a food source. I also grew mine naturally, if a bit slower than most. This is because I did not use any live rock... at all. Biodiversity, including coralline, was introduced mostly via coral frags. Even though most of the frags were dipped first, stuff finds it's way. :) It's a slower but safer way to a mature tank.

I couldn't speak to the effectiveness of bottled products either. I subscribe to the rule of not dosing anything to the tank that I can't test for.

To some, coralline is the bane of their existence. Yep, people have a real hard time keeping it off glass and equipment, and the stuff sucks up plenty of the calcium and alkalinity we're dosing in our reef tanks.

With all this in mind, I did nothing but hope for coralline. Months went by without any, and fish, corals and the tank itself were happy and healthy. So, I wouldn't say coralline is a necessity, but it's nice that the rocks are turning purple. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Nart

@Fishcat You are very welcome. Lchi and Stella did a great job answering to your question.
    Almost all tanks will usually end up with coralline growth at some point just because the introduction of coral frags into your tank (unless your tank is completely sterile).
    The easiest way to introduce coralline algae into your tank is, go into your LFS, find a piece of small live rock covered in that purple/pink coralline. Go home, take a dull knife or just something to scrape it. Turn off your return pumps, and just leave your displays power-head on. Go to town scraping off that coralline algae on the small rock. This will create flakes of coralline and will get in between your rocks, a few months later. BOOM! your rocks will be nice and purple/pink too. Just remember to keep up with Alk, Calcium, and Mag and ensure that those big 3 trace elements are relatively stable. Coralline algae requires those trace elements to grow.

19. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Thanks to everyone for the explanations. I am far from actually venturing into saltwater, but I like to have as much as possible straight in my mind before starting something new.