Nart's 10g Frag Tank Adventure

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What's better than a free 10 gallon tank?
IMG_7798.JPG

Two free 10 gallon tanks

Picked these up for free from a local club member.
Now the question is what to do with it...? I've been wanting to do a frag only tank so I am going to explore that route. I am wanting to do an All In One sump.... so follow along my terrible DIY journey with this tank.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh man niceee, wide angle shot of the IM25. Look at the size if the AI prime and what its putting out, love this tank il be following.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So bad news... and I want to get your opinion on it.

Tank #1 has some really good scratches on it front and back.
IMG_7807.JPG

Tank #2 has a piece chipped off the lower corner. But little to no scratches.
IMG_7808.JPG

I'm kind of scared to use Tank#2 because after the chip, what's left of the glass is very thin. As for Tank #1 it'll be an eyesore with the scratches... but I guess no biggy if it's just a frag tank?

Anywho... asides from those issues above... here's a pic after a clean up and with the Current Lights installed. The black tape lined up is where I'll split the tank with acrylic to make it an AIO with 2 baffles
IMG_7806.JPG

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think its both minors honestly, ive seen tanks with bigger chips in use, how much are these? Is it worth buying new? Can you get a dollar per gallon sale thing. Im probably not the guy to ask, but honestly that chips a minior IMO.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha. It's not the money ultimately. Wife doesn't seem to want me to spend money on anymore tanks. Since the last time I tossed away 3 tanks already.

I guess I can always try it out and put water in it to test.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Project on hold till I come back from MACNA. Might even come back with a completely different tank

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You're gonna come back and your RBTA is gonna be sprawling over half the tank evilly chuckling

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They always say that your tank runs smoothly till you go on vacation. That's when everything fails on you and goes wrong lol.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They always say that your tank runs smoothly till you go on vacation. That's when everything fails on you and goes wrong lol.
I know and I'm also going on a 4 day vacay soon.

Last time I went on a vacay the only tank I had was a 3.5g with Phil the Betta, but now with the 10g FOWLR and 29g planted and heavy stocked tank I'm a bit nervous!

I know they should be completely fine and won't need food or top offs in that time but I can't help thinking the same thing you are...

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Nanologist haha... I think I've had my previous ATO fail, previous heater fail, and previous power-head.

I have since switched out all those other brands to brands I trust now... so I have that going for me.
I took tomorrow off so I can comb through all my equipment and give it a good cleaning, water changes, and top off my ATO bucket.

I'm considering lowering my temp from 80 to 78... and reducing lighting schedule too. Minimal, but I won't be gone that long... it's 5 days total, but I leave in the morning and come back on the 5th day... so my tank will only be without food for a total of 3 days. Just worried about my fathead dendro of not getting any food as that coral is non-photosynthetic... if that coral dies... man.. I'd be low-key mad.

Ahhhhhh soooooo excited for MACNA even though i'll only be here for a few hours.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yay @NART !!! Can't wait to see the AIO build... I really love mine.

Please, please, please tell us the long story about MACNA and NOLA when you come back. I want to know it all!

I just took my first vacay from the salty tank too..., almost four days away and all is good, but some unexpected things as well. Trying to gather my thoughts for an update. For you, I'm most nervous about the RBTA... eek.:nailbiting: Equipment failures are always a concern too. I'm wondering if any of you have the concern with heaters that I do? I've heard horror stories about them overheating and cooking everything. I've installed back-up devices on 2 of my tanks, not sure what they're called but they will prevent overheating. The device plugs into the outlet, and the heater plugs into the device. You set a max temp on it and it will prevent the heater from powering up if max temp has been reached. Not too pricey and a real piece of mind.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While I'm waiting on my Pukani rocks... time to get started on the All in One build.

IMG_8042.JPG

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Nanologist the cardboard looking thing is actually just the paper adhesive on the acrylic itself to prevent scratches. The green handle looking thing is a "scorer" to score the acrylic. I don't have all the power tools in the apartment to do intricate work... so my DIY skills and outcome are sub-par.

Here's the semi-finished product. Ran out of time today to silicone everything up. Will probably have some time over the weekend to finish up.

Check it out...

Using the dining table to it's fullest potential
IMG_8044.JPG

Holes drilled and planned out with baffles
IMG_8045.JPG

The semi-finished product
IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8047.JPG

4f7e03e014bf7d86b26a5c667e2aca80.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks great @NART !!!

Really now, how can we expect to be perfectionists without the big stuff, (like a bandsaw)? Not everyone can have a garage like Joey K of DIY after all.

I really do think it looks professionally done, nice job.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you thank you. Close ups are iffy but it'll do. Blisters on my hand from scoring the acrylic too hard. I didn't want to mess up as I didn't have extra pieces. Can't wait to put it together this weekend.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks really good! That's what I was sort of thinking about doing for my future 20 before I decided I wanted ALL the space I could get lol

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Got the baffles and return connector siliconed together! Almost ready to be put together in the 10G

IMG_8067.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom