Nanoluteus- Breeding And Tankmates

FireflySky

HI everyone. Been a while since I parent on this forum- a lot of personal stuff got in the way.

Little update and some questions for you guys- I have grown out 7 amatitlania nanoluteus in my 40B and they've been doing great. So great in fact, that they have all paired off (save for the one straggler) and started breeding! I've only had one spawn so far that were quickly eaten, but they're all in full breeding cookie and I have another female guarding a cave do I suspect another batch.

I don't expect any fry to survive in this tank, but I found a new LFS who is willing to take fish, so I'm debating investing in a quarantine tank to see if I can raise any. I've never bred fish before, and I can't find much about what to expect/ growth rate with this species.

Also, they are currently housed with 8 black skirt tetras and 1 bristle nose pleco. Everything has been peaceful, but I'm debating replacing them with dithers closer to their biotope, or possibly species only. The LFS had some green swordtails that I think would fit the bill, but I'm not sure. I do like the tetras, so I'm a bit on the fence.

Any breeding/ stocking tips for this species? They're such a cool little fish and I really want to be sure that they can thrive.

20190223_195208.jpg

A201

Wow, I never seen Yellow Convicts in any of my LFS 's.
I think it would be worth setting up a grow out tank. You might actually make a little money.
Swordtails would be a good addition to your display tank, giving it a more Central American look.
Very pretty fish.

Sergeant Pepper

I just wanna say that those are gorgeous fish!

chromedome52

If you want to raise young, you have to do a single species tank. Best to put a pair in a tank by themselves, but I've had this species raise fry in a 10 gallon tank with 3 additional adults in the tank. Don't recommend it, I wasn't expecting it, but it happened. They can be very good at hiding their spawns because they like very tight, low ceiling caves.

Typical fry foods will work, such as baby brine shrimp (live or frozen), microworms, or even powdered fry foods. I find they grow fastest on live bbs.

yukondog

I agree with spices only tanks, I do apistogrammas and other dwarf cichlids and it so much easier to feed and care for them, normally when time to separate, I will remove the parents instead of the fry. Good luck, they are beautiful fish.

FireflySky

Wow, I never seen Yellow Convicts in any of my LFS 's.
I think it would be worth setting up a grow out tank. You might actually make a little money.
Swordtails would be a good addition to your display tank, giving it a more Central American look.
Very pretty fish.

Thank you. I'll have to post a recent pic I took with natural sunlight hitting the tank- they have such pretty blues and greens to them as well as the yellow.

How many swordtails do you think could be comfortably housed in my 40B? I was thinking maybe 2 males, 4 females? Don't want to overcrowd.

I had to mail order these, but if I would guess that a LFS owner would be happy to have them. I don't even mind not making money- just to know the species could have a better chance of survival is nice. Then again, I'd feel terrible if they were hybridized or kept in poor conditions.

FireflySky

chromedome52 yukondog should I have a separate tank to grow out fry, or can they survive in the 40B if kept as a species only? I feel insecure about moving the parents back and forth from the display, mostly because I'm not sure if I can tell when they're ready. I have one female that is really defending her cave and does not venture far from it, but it's been over a week now and I don't see any wrigglers.

FireflySky

I just wanna say that those are gorgeous fish!

Thank you. I just got sone nice shots of them in natural sunlight. I'm just captivated by them.

20190309_160928.jpg
20190309_160806.jpg

yukondog

If you want them to breed than breed them and be prepared to raise the fry, if you want just a community tank than just let nature take its course. Myself, I would raise the fry in another tank if you can't put the parents in another tank.

FireflySky

If you want them to breed than breed them and be prepared to raise the fry, if you want just a community tank than just let nature take its course. Myself, I would raise the fry in another tank if you can't put the parents in another tank.

My original thought was to let nature take it's course, but it is exciting to see fry and I didn't have an LFS who could take fish. If I did try to raise them, would a 10 gallon be enough to grow out fry? How long would it be until they were mature enough to be rehomed?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
JGombs99
Replies
Views