Nano Tank Set-Up

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by vivelafish, Jul 17, 2015.

1. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to set up two nano shrimp tanks-- one at my office and one at my new apartment. My budget somewhat varies in the sense that I don't want to spend too much on the nano tank at the office (we are using our office budget means to set one up at the front desk... I managed to convince my boss to let me set up a shrimp tank :party0024:) but I'm willing to be more flexible on budget for my new apartment tank.

I'm mostly looking into the office tank right now but I was wondering if any of you knew any affordable tank set-up recommendations that can get me the best bang for my buck. I've been looking at the kits but I don't see any that really that look like great quality for their price. I need a closed-top and something that would look sleek and nice in an office. Anything under 10G basically.

If you have recommendations for a nice nano tank that would be more expensive, please also let me know so I can use it as future reference for my apartment tank.

Thank you!

2. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Thanks haha. Sorry if I was unclear in my post. I meant that I was looking for actual brands and links for tanks I could buy. I'm already pretty set on doing a shrimp tank. Thank you for your recommendation though!

4. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

5. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Looking for a particular brand? How about a Fluval Spec V? They are really nice, I have one I'm using as a pico reef.

6. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

I'm actually really looking into the Spec V but I'm wonder what the best solution would be to block the intake because of the baby shrimp. Would I glue a mesh sponge over it? I read somewhere that someone just slid an old plastic credit card at the bottom with the numbers facing the aquarium side to allow water intake while also blocking the shrimps from getting sucked in.

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about that, to be honest. The pump is adjustable to reduce the flow but I don't think that would be enough for baby shrimp.

8. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I've used an evolve 4 for a shrimp tank. Just pull whatever media it comes with and fill in the media area with a large block of filter foam and it essentially turns the whole filtration unit into a large shrimp-safe sponge filter.

9. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Do you use anything as a lid for the top? I'm just concerned about an open-top tank in an office. Thanks for the suggestion! That's a pretty nifty trick.

10. EricV

They come with a clear acrylic lid with a small round cutout for feeding

11. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Oh okay, I didn't see that with the first picture I looked up haha. Okay, thanks!

12. EricV

The tank in my signature line is actually an evolve 4 albeit with different lighting

13. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Sorry if I sound stupid, but could you specify what kind of filter foam block you bought and where? You just took out their filter pad and placed it in snugly, right? I want to make sure my shrimp are safe and i do this correctly.

Also, your tank is lovely! Do you a close-up view?

14. EricV

I used an aquaclear foam filter media block and cut it to size.

As for the photos my phone wont let me properly upload one right now

15. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Both of my shrimp tanks are using air driven sponge filtration. If youre wanting the sleek look, The Fluval Spec or Aqueon Evolve are probably the way to go. Im not personally familiar with either of them but have heard lots of good stuff about them. Looking at the Spec Filter design, it looks like you cut cut some media sponge to shape, and fill in the compartment so that when water goes into the intake, it flows through sponge and shrimp shouldnt be able to fit through the intake slots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice