Nano Tank On Desk - Non Skittish Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Arrielle, May 1, 2019.

1. ArrielleValued MemberMember

Hello,

I have an 8 gal tank, that stays on my desk, which means that sometimes there is some movement.
    I would like to keep some fish, other than a betta.
    I tried guppies but they seem rather aggressive - nipping each other's fins - so I took them back.
    I did not want to deal with fin rot or other sicknesses resulted from broken fins.

Can you recommend a species that does well in 8 gall tank, and that won't be stressed to death if I move around or touch / move the desk ?

Thank you

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Would you like shrimp and snails?

3. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I know you said you dont want a Betta, but an 8 gallon tank really limits what you can keep. Coupled with the fact that there's a lot of commotion, a Betta is probably your best bet. The only other fish I think you could do would be Pea Puffers but they can be skittish.

4. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

5. VSAValued MemberMember

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A small school of nano fish, pea puffer, couple dwarf frogs, betta, dwarf crayfish, a colony of shrimp...those could be a few good options for u. Good luck!!

7. ArrielleValued MemberMember

not quite. I want to see some color and some movement.
    And I already have 2 bettas ( in different tanks)

I already have 2. I am looking for something else.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019
  8. midnaWell Known MemberMember

endlers! get enough to keep aggression limited. i'd do anywhere from 5-8 males in an 8g. they're basically guppies but smaller.

microrasboras would also do nicely.

9. ArrielleValued MemberMember

Thank you. I do consider them As soon as my tank is cycled and I find a place to buy them, I'll get them. I live in Atlanta and there aren't many places that sell special types of fish - and big brands don't have them

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

11. JChiValued MemberMember

chili rasporas! I saw them at my LFS and I totally want to do a nano tank now for them. They are tiny fish and bright red and they were really active when I saw them.

12. VSAValued MemberMember

If you are looking for something a bit different, I have some red neon rainbows. They stay very small and when in the tank, they form a hierarchy (completely peaceful, no showing etc) where the dominant male then grows extra fins.

Really cool to watch. When they know I am reaching for food the leader will come to the front and the rest are behind him like an army. Not skittish at all. The only time they hide is water changes. Even then, the leader stays out to keep watch.

They are not schooling fish. They stay together in small groups but don't school. They are very active but not directional swimmers IME. They will always explore plants and go through the whole tank. They are very small so feeding needs to be done with mouth size in mind. I feed frozen food cut into small pieces or micro pellets crushed by me.

13. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Endlers are good shout.

My suggestion would be chili rasboras. The ones I have now are are the most outgoing nano fish I've seen. They eat micro pellets off my hand, lol. These fish don't realise how tiny they are and how low they are in the food chain