Nano - Small space for a skimmer? Question

Discussion in 'Nano Saltwater Tanks' started by Reefdweller, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I have the JBJ 28 Gallon Nano System and as some of you know there is limited space in the back of these things for the tools you need. I purchased the Eshopps Nano Skimmer and just got it by UPS yesterday. I thought for sure that this skimmer would fit in one of the chambers of the nano but in order for it to work right I am going to have to modify one of the stock panels (cutting it) I do not so much have a problem with doing this but I just want to make sure its my only option. I would hate to modify this and the skimmer not skim like it should or perform like it should. What are Nano 28 owners doing to have a skimmer on thier system? I do not see much talk about it so I am not sure what people are doing. Any suggestions? Comments? I do not have a sump on this system so I have to utilize the compartments some way. I could have swore this skimmer I ordered was a HOB but it is not. Anyone have any feedback on this?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Well... I was very concerned about this skimmer once I tried to install it. I just didnt see a way even though it is a nano skimmer. However, I modified the chamber just slightly and made it work. I am really impressed with this skimmer. I have emptied the cup twice today dumping the funky colored funky smelling liquid down the drain. I had heard so many times when it comes to skimmers that you have to adjust them a lot to get them working and skimming correctly. Also, that it would take a couple days or longer to see results from a new skimmer. I didnt expect to see any results today from it but was I wrong. It is for sure doing its job so I am pleased.

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The biggest adjustment is finding the right balance of wet/dry skimming.

Sounds like you've got it spot on. I'd probably try dial it down so it only fills the cup once a day. Too, once the skimmer catches up, skim-mate production should subside and level out.

Eshopps do make good stuff from all reports :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice