Nano shrimp tank build

lhopkin9

I’ve decided I’m going to start a nano shrimp tank with an old tank I have in my closet. The tank is an aqueon evolve 4. Holds about 3.5 gallons of water.

Definitely thinking neocardinia shrimp. Unsure if I want red or blue. It will be a while before I have to decide though.

I’m thinking fluval stratum for the substrate.

Lighting- I don’t have the original light that came with the package. I used this setup for saltwater previously so I have a clamp on light by current USA that is 12000k plus actinic blue. I actually think this could look cool in a shrimp tank. May make the little guys colors pop, but I’m unsure if this will support plants well. Willing to take thought and recommendations.

Also, cover. Does a shrimp tank need to be covered? I don’t like the cover that came with this tank, but could possibly make it a plexiglass cover to set on top. It would certainly help evaporation. If I don’t cover, will shrimp climb out?

Excited!

jpaquatics

I would always recommend blue Neocaridina because their colors seem to pop the best when they’re with plants, plus I keep them myself so I have a bias . They won’t climb, so that shouldn’t be an issue, although you might want to make a cover anyways for evaporation purposes like you said. Also, I’ve used fluval stratum in the past and recommend it. I loved it. It was great for plants. It does buffer your ph though. My tap ph is 8.0, and it brought mine down to a 6.3-6.5 range. For me new setup I went with gravel and just fertilizer with root tabs and it works just the same. And it was loads cheaper.

JettsPapa

• I know you said you don't need to decide on color right away, but I think blue shrimp show up better on light substrate and reds on black. (I use pool filter sand for the blues and Black Diamond blasting sand for the reds.)
  • None of my shrimp tanks are covered, and I've never found one on the floor. You're right about the possible need to replace some water due to evaporation between water changes, but it shouldn't be much.

lhopkin9

Ordered fluval stratum and an aqueon planted tank clip on led light which had lots of good reviews. Both are supposed to come tomorrow. Excited

lhopkin9

Light and substrate came today. Started playing with the layout. Maybe?
2CE02BE5-A67A-4605-B549-4240BDCD76C5.jpeg

lhopkin9

I ordered a spray bar and grate cover on Etsy that were designed for the fluval spec 5. They work perfect for this tank too. Now I feel like it is shrimp safe.

Not thrilled with the scape. Ordered some rocks and nano drift wood to mess around with. May add water soon.
97496CFA-AEE3-43DE-B056-7624380E655F.jpeg
Decided to do a little rearranging and fill it up. Now we’re cycling! Like this rearrangement more but will probably still stick some more rock in there when it comes. Threw a moss ball and a tiny bit of staurogyne repens in there because why not?

C5AA59E1-2AD0-42C4-BEFC-127A1CA23AD5.jpeg
F1F2BAE9-6777-4DFB-85B8-40132CA01B02.jpeg

lhopkin9

We are cycling!
Today’s numbers:
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 10 ppm
PH 6.6
GH 3 degrees
KH 0 degrees
This substrate did some serious buffering. Now to work on these numbers

Nomofish

How did you shrink that driftwood?

Just my opinion but it looked sick with the large piece until you shrunk it, maybe you can reinflate it?

MyFishAddiction

Following!

lhopkin9

How did you shrink that driftwood?

Just my opinion but it looked sick with the large piece until you shrunk it, maybe you can reinflate it?
I’m still totally not settled on the scape. I think there are more changes to come!
With the buffering capacity of this substrate become apparent now I’m debating neocardinia vs cardinia shrimp. Hmmm.
It seems like cardinia I could keep more types/colors because they look good when they crossbreed, vs the neos turning brown again.

lhopkin9

Well, after some serious consideration I decided this tank would be too hard to manage. I think increasing my shrimp tank size to 10 gallons will make my maintenance life much simpler, plus I can do more with the plants and scape.
I pulled out my 10 gallon tank and dumped in the contents plus a touch more water. Ordered a glass lid and a sponge filter. Plus, I think this size looks good on my counter.

08A3DD94-FB60-4550-977A-CDB110762C5E.jpeg

lhopkin9

Today’s values:
Ph 8.0
Kh 6 degrees
Gh 5 degrees
ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm

still adding a sprinkle of tetra flakes every couple of days. I think it’s kind of fun to see a new tank cycling.
Now I’m just sitting and waiting for the new rock and equipment I ordered to come so I can arrange it, finish filling (it’s 1/2 full), and plan my plants!

71F32EE0-FC1C-4665-9AB6-1C09933D2CA9.jpeg

lhopkin9

Still waiting on rocks and a lid, but my sponge filter came. Also floating some wood that I may use.

7F266E90-5D60-4A51-8B98-FDAB9EAEF615.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
JayAlva
Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
Replies