Nano Saltwater Stocking/setup

goplecos

I have had some experience with saltwater, since I was the only one taking care of the the 75 gallon reef in my botany class (even in the summer, and after I finished the class as well), so I know the basic care that goes into it. But that's about it. I am clueless about stocking and half the setup.

Setup: I only have room for a 5 gallon, unfortunately. I already know most of the equipment needed for a tank, but I have 3 questions.

1. I can get a sponge filter at my LFS for less than 5 dollars, and I already have an air pump , so I was wondering if I could use this instead of a powerhead, since most of the effective ones cost 20+ dollars. I know Saltwater tank need to be aerated but I don't know if a sponge filter will be enough.

2. Everywhere says that I need to use RO water I just got my cities water quality report and we have great water. RO removes 90-99% of impurities in the water, but based on my water quality report we have close to zero on everything except chlorine. If I use a dechlorinator on my water is RO really necessary, since I don't want to spend 50 dollars on something I don't really need.

3. I know you're not supposed to use Play Sand for Saltwater tanks, but can you use sand for Freshwater tanks. My friend gave me a ton and I would like to know if it is safe.

Stocking: I only have decided I wanted a FOWLR tank, but I would like to have livestock that are reef compatible if I decide to add coral later. I did a lot of research on all of these but I can't find any good info that is widely agreed. The inverts were relatively easy though.

Firefish Goby (tank size ranged from 3-30 gallons, are they shrimp safe)
Royal Gramma Basslet (should they be kept in schools or alone, tank size ranges for 5-30 gallons, are they shrimp safe)
Blue/Green Chromis (should they be kept in schools or alone, tank sizes range from 5-30 gallons, are they shrimp safe)
I don't plan on keeping all of these fish, just 1-2 of them, some shrimp and/or snails, and maybe a Goby.

Last edited:

Claire Bear

Hi, with a 5 gallon tank, you probably should pick one to put in the tank. Chromis do fine on their own but not sure about that tank size. You will want to add it later and not right away. As far as water, as long as you are not adding coral I have read treated tap is fine. However, you might be wiser to just buy local premade saltwater with a tank that small-that way you won't have to buy the lnecessary equipment to measure salinity and then top off for evaporation with ro or treated tap. Good luck and I would not add the air filter but invest in a power head rated for that size although in my brackish 10 gallon Opae Ula tank I have a sponge but I have never used one-others may disagree.

goplecos

Hi, with a 5 gallon tank, you probably should pick one to put in the tank. Chromis do fine on their own but not sure about that tank size. You will want to add it later and not right away. As far as water, as long as you are not adding coral I have read treated tap is fine. However, you might be wiser to just buy local premade saltwater with a tank that small-that way you won't have to buy the lnecessary equipment to measure salinity and then top off for evaporation with ro or treated tap. Good luck and I would not add the air filter but invest in a power head rated for that size although in my brackish 10 gallon Opae Ula tank I have a sponge but I have never used one-others may disagree.

Thanks. The air pump I have is a spare one that is rated up to 60 gallons so and the sponge filter that I might get has an output that would reach the close to the top of the tank with an elbow piece, so it will be blasting air everywhere.

Last edited:

goplecos

I hope I'm allowed to give myself a bump.

Latest threads

Top Bottom