Nano reef with anemone?

Thetanknwebie

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the planning stage of my nano reef and I am really interested in anemones. I really like the coney/Haitian reef anemone (white tentacles with purple/pink tips) because it doesn't get very large and it's only $10. Even though it seems like the perfect anemone, I'm worried it will sting my corals. Is there any way to keep it from stinging my corals? I would keep it far from other corals but this thing moves! Please help. Thanks.

Mike

HI - if I could do it all over again I would not have anemones in my reef tank. They are pretty but a major pain because they can and will sting corals or plant themselves right over the top of them and shade them. I like my corals more than the nems and I'm slowly getting them out of the reef tank and into a separate frag tank set up just for them.

wbc

I agree with Mike, I have a 29 gallon with 4 clowns (2 ocellaris and 2 black ocellaris) and they have started an all out war over the anemone. So I added another anemone in hopes the ocellaris would go for it instead but they just ignore it. Plus the new anemone keeps rolling around like a tumbleweed, refusing to stick to anything. You DO NOT want this to happen. It keeps rolling around and endangering my corals. ALl of that is a problem I am currently working on, any suggestions would be great. But my point is they are an absolute pain like Mike said. Though they do sometimes work. Also I love the Haitian anemones, mine are long tentacles.

Thetanknwebie

Thanks for replying! This thread is over a month old, the date is visible on the top left corner of every post. If you have a question, feel free to post a new thread. The only suggestion I can think of is removing both the anemones. Clownfish will host torch corals, frogspawn, Xenia, and many more. Good luck!

wbc

Sorry about that, I'm still pretty new to FishLore. Out of curiosity what did you end up doing?

Thetanknwebie

Don't worry about it! I got sidetracked with my current Freshwater tank leaking and ruining the floor so I have not set up any Saltwater tank.

wbc

Leaky tank...never fun. I am doing the opposite of you and plan to start a freshwater tank soon, kinda moved in the opposite direction that most people go.

Thetanknwebie

Most people start with Freshwater the move to SW. Very unique that you are going backwards!

Similar Aquarium Threads

29 Gallon Tank A good nano anemone?
Replies
Views
cerianthus
Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
Stang Man
Replies