20 Gallon Tank Nano rainbowfish(or killifish) for 20g long community tank

Dan12boy

I would like some super colorful, non-basic fish and rainbowfish seemed to fit this criteria. I saw the neon blue eyed rainbowfish but wanted to know if there were more options.

GlennO

There are other species of Blue Eyes and also Threadfins. They do best in species only tanks. Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (M. praecox) are kind of an option though 20 gal would be bare minimum for them and not ideal.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

The Pseudomugil family really do best in species tank, like Glenn said above.

Never kept Praecox rainbows, but they are super active and get to a decent size.

Are you looking for color or activity? Or both?

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

There are other species of Blue Eyes and also Threadfins. They do best in species only tanks. Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (M. praecox) are kind of an option though 20 gal would be bare minimum for them and not ideal.
Dang I was hoping to keep them with my guppies and some pygmy cories in the future but if they won't do good there then I might as well forget about it.
The Pseudomugil family really do best in species tank, like Glenn said above.

Never kept Praecox rainbows, but they are super active and get to a decent size.

Are you looking for color or activity? Or both?
Activity would be nice, I'd like to see them interact with the tank, lowkey want a colorful tank but not the usual basic neon tetras and the likes. Something colorful and different.

Upvote 0

wateriswet

I keep thread fins and pygmy corydoras together just fine. The thing to watch out for is fish that are too enthusiastic of eaters because they'll out compete your dwarf rainbows, so I'd say no to guppies.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Dang I was hoping to keep them with my guppies and some pygmy cories in the future but if they won't do good there then I might as well forget about it.

I wouldn't say it can't be done, in fact I have some P. gertrudae in a tank with a few endlers and some neon tetras. You just have to be very careful with your selection because they are so small and peaceful and don't compete well with larger or more boisterous fish. Certainly pygmy cories wouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I keep thread fins and pygmy corydoras together just fine. The thing to watch out for is fish that are too enthusiastic of eaters because they'll out compete your dwarf rainbows, so I'd say no to guppies.
Not even if I gave them the kind of food that I'd stick to the glass? Or sinking pellets?
I wouldn't say it can't be done, in fact I have some P. gertrudae in a tank with a few endlers and some neon tetras. You just have to be very careful with your selection because they are so small and peaceful and don't compete well with larger or more boisterous fish. Certainly pygmy cories wouldn't be a problem.
Okay thank you, right now only have the guppies so if they won't even get along with the guppies then I'll just think of something else but they do good with the really fast neons? That's impressive!

Upvote 0

GlennO

... but they do good with the really fast neons? That's impressive!

Neons are sluggish compared to Blue Eyes. :)

Upvote 0

GlennO

Wait so blue eyes are speedy??

Yes they don't compete well because they are more timid than most other fish, not because they are slow.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Yes they don't compete well because they are more timid than most other fish, not because they are slow.
Ohh okay, so if I could help them not be shy around my guppies with more plants and floaters to dim the lights a little then it could work?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Ohh okay, so if I could help them not be shy around my guppies with more plants and floaters to dim the lights a little then it could work?

It will help. They do fine with my Endlers but I only have a few males in there and it's a heavily planted 40 gal. A couple of full sized guppies should be ok but Blue Eyes would do poorly in a tank full of them.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

It will help. They do fine with my Endlers but I only have a few males in there and it's a heavily planted 40 gal. A couple of full sized guppies should be ok but Blue Eyes would do poorly in a tank full of them.
I would do just like 6-7 guppies and some salt n pepper cories, lowkey changing my mind though. I saw the chili rasboras and rosy loaches and their sizes make them awesome options for me.

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

Pseudomugil furcata grows larger than luminatus & gertrudae & should be able to better compete with guppies. They also prefer the same water parameters as guppies - luminatus & gertrudae do better in soft, acidic water,

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Pseudomugil furcata grows larger than luminatus & gertrudae & should be able to better compete with guppies. They also prefer the same water parameters as guppies - luminatus & gertrudae do better in soft, acidic water,
Do those need to be in schools? If so a 20g might not do good for them

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

A 20 g is roomy enough for 6-8 furcata rainbows. They’re shoalers and prefer the company of their own species.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

A 20 g is roomy enough for 6-8 furcata rainbows. They’re shoalers and prefer the company of their own species.
Okay thank you for the insight! My mind is scurrying away from rainbowfish now though lol

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom