Nano Lighting

bwreynolds

I have a 10 gallon Nano that I plan to get coral going in very soon. I am wondering when I should have the light on. I get up at 6:30am and get home at 5:30pm. I plan to run a led light. Suggestions on that would be great. I plan to run beginner corals Zoas mushrooms brain etc... I’ve found lights for $60 and are led between 30-150 watts. All input welcome.

Claire Bear

Hi, I would try soft coral, zoa and mushrooms as they are far less picky on the light you provide. You will want to get reef lights to ensure the spectrum and PAR are appropriate. They can be pricey-even for a ten gallon tank. LED should be, imo 3 watt each and the depth and area they will cover should be specified on the product.

bwreynolds

What about time of day they are on?

stella1979

I have lights on for 10 hours a day, though 1 hour at the beginning and 1 hour at the end are lower lighting, kind of like ramp up and ramp down periods. I wouldn't start with more than 8 hours of full lighting. You can pick the time of day you wish for lights to be on. I doubt you have much time for the tank when getting up for work. So if I were you, I'd choose a schedule later in the day so you have time to enjoy the tank with lights on for several hours after work. My own light schedule is from 11am to 9pm, and this also gives us time to work in the tank in the evenings if we need to.

By the way, today may be a great day to pick up a reef light at a steep discount. Check out MarineDepot and Bulk Reef Supply for Cyber Monday deals.

Claire Bear

Hi, I would try soft coral, zoa and mushrooms as they are far less picky on the light you provide. You will want to get reef lights to ensure the spectrum and PAR are appropriate. They can be pricey-even for a ten gallon tank. LED should be, imo 3 watt each and the depth and area they will cover should be specified on the product.
I have mine set for different levels throughout the day. I keep my blues on all night and run at 50% down to 25% from 2 am until about 6 am when I gradually amp them up. I use some features more than others and run more blue and violet then whites. I get pretty good growth-this tank is about two years old and sold all stock a few months ago and started over (kept a couple of favorites though).
Lights are one of those things that can really make a tank pop or just be a light. I recommend always buying the best lights you can afford and the best skimmer. I would say next would be your powerheads and it goes without saying that some rock just looks better-although base rock can be covered with FijI rock or some really nice rock. LOL! I start talking salt and I get all into all my cool toys!

bwreynolds

That is great advice. Thank you so much got exactly what I was looking for. Right now I just have a pair of platinum clowns in it but want to know exactly what I need to do to get some easy corals going in it. Any advice on a hosting anemone that is reed safe as well

bwreynolds

How is this light for me?

ClownFizz

I'm like you. I work in a 8 to 5pm job. Id prefer my lights on when I'm at home.

Latest threads

Top Bottom