Nano Co2 System For A Newbie

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am looking to add a nano co2 system to my aquarium so I can boost my low tech plants and I was wondering what system you guys would recommend. My aquarium is a 10 gallon long and will soon have fish.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What plants do you have? If you go the CO2 injection route, you're going to have to balance light, nutrients and CO2. Have you tried Seachem Excel yet? I use that in my low tech setups and it works pretty great IMO.

OP
Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
qchris87 said:
What plants do you have? If you go the CO2 injection route, you're going to have to balance light, nutrients and CO2. Have you tried Seachem Excel yet? I use that in my low tech setups and it works pretty great IMO.
I bought a nice T5 and was given some root tabs for in my sand substrate. Right now I am growing some java moss outside my tank under my t5... When it comes down to picking up more plants I am wanting to try some dwarf baby tears, flame moss and maybe some kind of hair grass and or java fern.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nilocg, green leaf aquariums, co2 art all make nano regulators, I believe all have solenoids as well.

Without solenoid the fluval 88g can be modified to fit a paintball tank (tommywantfishy)(ashenwelt). I have a few of the ista sets (advanced and pro) that work well.

ashenwelt

Well Known
Reaction score
Jocelyn Adelman said:
Nilocg, green leaf aquariums, co2 art all make nano regulators, I believe all have solenoids as well.

Without solenoid the fluval 88g can be modified to fit a paintball tank (tommywantfishy)(ashenwelt). I have a few of the ista sets (advanced and pro) that work well.
And remember! You can always add an external solenoid.

OP
Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tommywantfishy said:
Ashenwelt & I use the milwaukee solenoid. It is about 50 bucks on Amazon.
tommywantfishy is this what your talking about?

Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Solenoid Diaphram Valve | BeverageFactory.com

tommywantfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Speeding Sloth said:
tommywantfishy is this what your talking about?

Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Solenoid Diaphram Valve | BeverageFactory.com
Milwaukee Instruments MA955 Solenoid Valve for Co2 Dosing

OP
Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tommywantfishy Oh shoot I thought you were talking about the regulator plus solenoid lol I've been looking at a 5lb kegco tank and the regulator solenoid combo I just sent. Ever seen these tanks?

Tank: 5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank with Red Finish | BeverageFactory.com

tommywantfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Speeding Sloth said:
tommywantfishy Oh shoot I thought you were talking about the regulator plus solenoid lol I've been looking at a 5lb kegco tank and the regulator solenoid combo I just sent. Ever seen these tanks?

Tank: 5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank with Red Finish | BeverageFactory.com
I haven't. I use 2 2.5lb tanks. I believe they are empire paintball tanks. Got a paintball adapter....I use the fluval 88 regulator and have had zero complaints. In my opinion it is better to have 2 smaller tanks than one big tank. Reason is that even with all of the sporting goods stores here, sometimes their machine is messed up, sometimes they are out. A few weeks back I couldnt get co2 for a week & a half. So with 2 tanks you aren't in peril.

I am sure the regulator with solenoid combo would be great. There are some nice combos out there. I like to keep them separated, however....so if 1 malfunctions I don't have to send the whole thing in for warranty work, etc. I have 3 fluval 88 regulators....Solenoid is for pure convenience.

New Threads