Nano Cichlid tank - species ideas?

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by jprime84, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jprime84Valued MemberMember

I found out yesterday that it is ok for me to setup a 5 gallon nano tank on my desk at work. I think I would like to have cichlid(s) i think, but I have never kept them before. I will use the eco complete cichlid substrate, and the tank will be bare other than some cavernous limestone rock.

I thought maybe I could have 1-3 individuals in the tank, but they would obviously have to be small species that only grow to a few inches. Can you guys help me out with recommendations. I would like some orange, yellow, and/or blue fish.

Do cichlids need a heater, or does room temp satisfy them? Any general tips are always appreciated. I will probably move on setting this up after the holidays.

2. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

In a 5g tank, about the only thing that might work is a trio of shell-dwellers (Lamprologus multifasciatus or Neolamprologus multifasciatus), and even they would do better in a 10g in my opinion. They're not really orange, yellow, or blue, but the cichlids that do have that coloration require a lot more space than 5 gallons. They would also do better with a variety of shells and a softer substrate.

And yes, cichlids are tropical fish that require a heater.

For more info:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may09/shell-dweller-cichlid.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1749

3. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I agree with Mathas, any of the shelldwellers would be better off in a larger tank. I kept a group of lamprologus ocellatus in a 10 gallon tank and I'd choose a 20 gallon for them if I had it to do over based on my experience. IMO there are no African cichlids that would be suitable for a 5 gallon.

4. OP
    OP
    j

jprime84Valued MemberMember

The more I look into it I would have to agree. Here is what I am thinking of now:

Ill have a pair of the badis and one cory. The badis dont even get to an inch, and that cory only gets 2, 2.5 inches. I would have a sand or fine gravel substrate with a piece of driftwood and maybe a few anubias.

5. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I would leave the cory out, they prefer to be in groups

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice