Nano Black Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by wrs2, Aug 23, 2019.

1. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Untitled-1.

My 10 Gallon is getting a redo to a black water aquarium!

So far the look is posted above, with some more botanicals on the way. I think that I may not actually want that tea colored water though, as I love how it looks now with the white sand, pale sea green background (the cloudy water makes it hard to see clearly) and manzanita wood. I may get another brand, but I don't know...

My thoughts for plants... Just floaters! Frogbit and Water Lettuce.
    I was thinking maybe some Crypt Spiralis on the right side under the filter.

For stocking... No clue!
    I wanted to do Gold Neon Tetras and a dwarf cichlid, but it's only 10 gallons.
    I know there are some cichlids that may work, though it could be hard to find them.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?
    Hopefully the other botanicals will arrive this week!

2. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    1 year
    my personal favourite for blackwater tanks is Bettas but i do like adding a plant with larger leaves so that they can rest on them.

However if you don't want a betta I also think that danios look absolutely beautiful in blackwater tanks

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have so many bettas.
    This one will probably be a South American themed tank. Most of my other ones are all Asian fish. I don't generally mix fish from different continents. It bothers me to do it lol.

4. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    69585546_383300112378900_2920957277475176448_n.

I have a lot of creeping jenny and moneywort plants growing around my water garden. I decided to cute some off and plant it in here, as I have done that in a few other tanks and they converted nicely from above water to under water.

My stuff from tannin aquatics in late. Shocker. The USPS sucks. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow so I can add more leaves and pods!

5. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Untitled-2.

Got some more botanicals in!
    I also have an amazon sword that is floating around, which I will eventually plant.

I am unsure as to what I want to do with this tank. At first I wanted just botanicals and wood. Then I added plants. I may add more plants and do like a planted black water tank. But I am unsure. No idea for stock yet either.

6. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    1 year
    It looks absolutely beautiful so far! I have been thinking and looking into what you could possibly house in it. You mentioned you didn't want Asian fish and are looking for Amazonian fish. They're from Africa but have you considered dwarf frogs? You would only be able to fit one or two in it but I think they would look amazing against the dark waters. If not I think you could have some tetras- maybe 6 or 7? Enough for them to have a school but not too many as to be crowded.

7. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I hate frogs. They’re so creepy lol.
    I have some Tetras in my other Blackwater, pristella, which look cool in a black water, but I wanted something cooler.
    I honestly am thinking I may do a Dario Dario, even if it is Asia .... I’ve always wanted one, but so they do good in black water? I have to do more research!

8. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    B2142D5E-C5F8-4F46-A8D4-2F1504851F75.929D1134-2543-4BB9-B1BB-8EA8983C1BB0.

Added some plants, botanicals and a new piece of wood! It looks really good IMO, though the glass looks messy. I kind of think I should get a better filter than the one I have. Or maybe better media for it! The waters a bit cloudy. I also added a new light.
    I was hoping that one of my LFS would have a Labor Day Sale, but they didn’t, so still no fish!

9. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I had 11 Pristella Tetra's in a different tank. I was moving them to anew tank, and caught all but 4. Well, the tank that the fish were moved to is having major issues. 5 fish dead in 2 days. No signs of illness, the dead. I think that the issue may actually be getting stuck on the filter, as their body has signs of trauma on it, and some I find on the filter.... But either way, the 4 others and not going in that tank, so for now, they will be living in this tank. It will kind of foil my plans on what I want to do, if I can ever decide, but oh well!

10. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm so sorry about your fish! Hopefully they will be safer in there for now

11. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So I am thinking for this....
    6 - 8 tetras, lemon maybe... Then either a small Gourami species or Dario Dario.
    Not 100% sure, but at the moment, that's what is on my mind for the tank.

12. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Maybe I will get another honey Gourami. I have two in a different tank, but I think I want another for this one!

Become a Fishlore Member