Nano Assistance 20 Gallon Tank

1. Sharkdude

Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

I'm interested in starting up a 20g nano reef. I'm assuming its the same as a large tank just smaller. So I will seed the tank with rock from my 125 and then build on that with dry rock.

I've got some frags and other corals that will go in. I want to have a combination of sps and lps. For critters I would likea pair of fire clowns and a clown goby with fire shrimp and snails.

I will be using a 15 gallon tank DIY sump/fuge with a Hydor Seltz L40 return and probably T5 lighting. That's all I've got right now...anytips?

Oh and I will most likely drilling it for a Gls overflow kit.

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Given your 125 experience, a 20G isn't a lot to play with.

What sort of T5 lighting are you planning on? Will it support SPS/LPS?

Fire clowns ultimately do better in 30G+ (based on research only, no direct experience) - Amphiprion ephippium, if this is what you're looking at, please consider copper content of water. They have also been known to reach/exceed 5".

Clown Goby's - here's a link that may help you with them: http://aquadaily.com/2008/11/19/clown-goby-faq/

Just my initial thoughts (I know you're not a newbie ;))

If you're prepared to run the gauntlet/gamble so to speak - up to you :D

3. OP
    OP
    Sharkdude

Thanks Ryan. I will be using a dual t5ho using ATI bulbs as usual or possibly led lighting. I have a piece of birdsnest in my 125 that's doing good that will go in. I will also probably get some acro's, acan's and some others that I don't have already.

I'll have to check out my selection of fish I guess....back to the drawing board..:)

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds very cool ;)

Just remember parameter control in a nano too. Especially your salinity and nitrates. It doesn't take much evaporation to really swing the salinity and for nitrates to build up.

A decent skimmer and lots of water changes are your best friends with a nano :D

5. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Hey Sharkdude!!
    Wow so you want a nano? Why?? As for corals you may want to reconsider those types especially the acros, will out grow the tank if they make it and by saying that they are very tough to grow in that size do to high water parameter changes. I would suggest slower growing corals such as trumpets, maybe a small frag of chalice of certain types, pocillapora,digiata to name a few.

6. OP
    OP
    Sharkdude

Hey Stang!! I was just watching some fire clowns at the lfs and I really like them and I have a 20 gallon just hanging out so I put 2 and 2 together.

I'll check out those corals you mentioned. I've decided to go with a single fire clown a yellow preolepis goby and a fire shrimp in the cuc. Of course I still need to get the old lady to agree to this....

7. Stang Man

Good luck with that one!! hahahahaha

8. OP
    OP
    Sharkdude

Lol, she's somewhat cool about my tanks. Just not to keen on start up cost, especially reef tanks even though its only my second one(I also planned a 65 that is already agreed upon). I would probably combine the nano with the 65 once it comes to life actually.

9. Stang Man

You would be much happier with a larger tank, the bigger the better and yes the cost may be a factor although a smaller tank will get you by but we all know that it is much easier and less headache for a larger tank for coral,since the mid 80's and which all that I had were under 75 gallon and was alot of work even then and with the proper equipment then less headaches My best tank was a shark tank of 150 gallons with a wet and dry filter with a coralife external pump and that ran the skimmer and the tank back then was a good thing and live rock was very hard to find but I did way but was tons of work, more than a reef tank with corals. Times have changed and as I mentioned the equipment is key no matter what size tank and with the technology today is pretty much the same as after the fact that the filters have changed. Using the proper water to mix the salt nd also the skimmer is the best thing also proper size with a huge sump a tank justice. Ohh and the 150 I had 12 one foot leopard sharks a blue spot andwas busy ever day to take care of the life just depends on how much one wants to put into the tank. Just saying...
    I would be there for you at putting an awesome tank together for you just depends on how much you want to spend and think about this the cost depends on the equipment but instaed of lets say a 65 then spend a few more bills for a larger tank that you won; have as much problems with and can be more of an enjoyment in the long haul!! Just saying.....

10. OP
    OP
    Sharkdude

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I was just thinking of using this 20 as the "seed" for the 65. Perhaps I'll just save up for the big one and call it a day. Thanks:)