Nano 55 Gallon?

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

If I were to do nano fish in a 55 gallon tank, what would the stocking be. Also, how would you aquascape?

2. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

It's so fun to keep nano fish in big tanks! Here is the stocking I have in my 46 gallon:
    25 ember tetras
    1o endlers
    25 dwarf corydoras (habrosus corydoras to be specific)
    A pair of bolivian rams
    2 nerite snails
    Dwarf shrimp (the ones that survive the rams)
    It's a really fun tank to watch, and you could do something similar. A stocking that I was thinking of for a 55 gallon nano was something along the lines of this (I am still working on it, so it is a bit vauge, and there may be minor issues with it, however it is just some ideas )
    15ish lambchop rasboras
    25ish green neon tetras
    20ish rosy loaches
    6 sparkling gourami
    3 peacock gudgeons (centerpiece)

When aquascaping, you can focus a bit less on creating depth (the fish will help do that for you) but it is always a good idea to add depth anyway as it is more visually appealing. I would create an open front and middle area, with two heavily planted sides with combos of wide and fine leafed plants and driftwood. It would give the fish lots of cover as well as provide lots of open floor space and swimming area.

3. Fredward

Fredward Valued Member Member

A good guide to putting nano fish in larger tanks is rather than trying to fit as many species as possible of small fish in a large tank is to do larger numbers of just a few (schooling or shoaling) species. That way the fish are much more comfortable so you have much more interesting and natural social behaviors. My personal favorite suggestion would be something like a pair of dwarf cichlids or small group of fish like honey gouramis, blended with a large number (10-30) of a dwarf schooling species (tetra/rasbora/danio/pencilfish/etcetera) with a bottom feeder like one of the species of cories or small loaches.

4. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

If I list some nano fish I like, could someone work out a stocking plan?
    Chili rasbora
    Endlers
    CPDs
    Pygmy cories (love <3)
    Dario Dario
    Scarlet Badis
    Pygmy Sunfish
    Sparkling gourami
    Killifish
    Thanks!

5. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

I don't think you can keep all of those types of fish together...
    Maybe just stick with the rasbora from that list and make a big school, a school or cory's on the bottom. Like stated above get a dwarf cichlid pair. GBR are nice.

6. Fredward

Nice list. Let's see...

5 sparkling gourami
    20-30 chili rasbora or CPD (I think CPD might prefer lower temps but I'm not sure)
    15 Pygmy cories
    5-10 endlers

*Unlike other cories, pygmy cories spend a lot of time in the middle region of the tank. The stocking plan above leaves room for a fish that would spend more time on the bottom.

Potential stocking plan # 2

5 sparkling gourami
    15 chili rasbora
    15 CPD (again a reminder to research temperatures)
    15 pygmy cories
    5-10 endlers

For a bottom feeder I'd suggest something like a species of kuhli loach (black, silver or common). Or maybe an invertebrate like plant-safe snails or amano shrimp.

Those are the two I'd go with personally. I don't really know enough about pygmy sunfish or scarlet badis (which are the same thing as dario dario) to make a good stocking plan around them. I've read pygmy sunfish can be finicky at feeding time and the badis are easily outcompeted for food and both are generally better in species tanks. I also don't know if the killifish would really match up well with the other species on the list.

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I didn’t mean all of them :p

Fred Ward: thank you so much! I love the second one. Is there any way to put GBR in this plan? I know they need higher temps, so I could do option one and keep at 79 degrees, right? Best online shop to get these species? My local fish store charges $6 per chili rasbora.

Is it okay to do neocardia shrimp as well?

8. Fredward

No problem, I'm glad to help!

I think German Blue Rams like their water a bit too warm for the other fish (most certainly the CPDs) and 79 is at the very high end for pygmy cories which I wouldn't recommend. Bolivian rams are an alternative who thrive in lower temps but are a bit less colorful. Or there are apistogramma which are about as colorful as the rams and can also live in lower temps than the GBR.

I'm afraid I'm not an expert in online shopping. The only thing I've noticed is the shipping is expensive as heck but the deal is better the more fish you buy.

I'd be nervous about the neocaridina. Most of the fish would be alright like gouramis (possibly not the sparkling gouramis?) and dwarf cichlids can pick smaller shrimp to death or even eat them outright.

9. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

What are some other peaceful centerpiece fish? Honey gourami?

As for shrimp, the tank would be moderately planted and I plan on carpet plants. Would this be better?

10. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Could I also do a BN pleco? Or would that overstock?

11. Fredward

I don't know about mixing honey and sparkling gourami if that's what you meant. They're two of the most peaceful types of anabantoides but I've heard stories about them fighting and it's better to be on the safe side when mixing labyrinth fishes. So I'd say either one of them would fit in with the setup but you should go with one or the other or be ready to separate them at a moment's notice.

With enough places to hide the shrimp could be okay if you're not doing dwarf cichlids. The gouramis are really the only thing I'm afraid might pick on them but I'm pretty paranoid.

I don't think a BN would overstock you. Just be ready to do the vacuuming since they are big waste producers.

So assuming you do something like this:

1 BN pleco
    5 sparkling gourami (or honey gourami)
    15 Chili rasbora
    15 Celestial pearl danio
    15 pygmy cory
    5-10 endler
    10-20 neocaridina shrimp

I'd say you could do it but I'd also say you'd be fully stocked. Also I'd do a lot of plants or densely planted areas since all of these fish are known for being timid. And keep the tank around 73-75 degrees Fahrenheit and you should be good.

12. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Thank you so much! And yes, I meant one or the other. Do you know how much water I should change each week? What order should I stock?

13. Fredward

I'd say about 30% per week (or about 16 gallons) should be alright. As for stocking order, I'd probably do the endlers first, since I'd think they'd be the hardiest and see how they do. Then I'd do the CPDs, then Rasboras (in either order), then cories and shrimp and give them all a chance to get established before adding the gouramis and pleco. Warning though if the endlers are anything like guppies they will breed and fast unless you have a single-sex group. It also goes without saying to make sure your tank is cycled but I think especially in this case.

14. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I will do all male :) Yes the tank will be VERY cycled.

15. Fredward

Great then you should be good to go.

16. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Here is a stocking idea :

5 Sparkling or Honey Gourami
    13 or 21 Trigonostigma Espei
    21 or 34 Boraras Brigittae
    13 Clown Killifish
    13 Endlers ( All male )

20-40 Amano Shrimp
    20-40 Neocaridina Shrimp ( blue, red, green, orange or yellow )

17. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

18. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Sparkling gourami will hunt shrimp. They probably can't take down an amano but they would make a dent in a neocaridina population.

19. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Will Honeys be better?

20. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Bump :)