Nano 1g Tank(no Fish Yet).

1. Jessica J

Jessica J Valued Member Member

So we have our first nano 1g tank with organic soil and sand substrate. Think we are on the right track, we did some research before hand. Did not get to add clay or mineralize the dirt, but if it works we are gonna redo and add a goldfish or betta fish. Any suggestions on the tank add anything or take any thing away. Gonna get a small light for it tomorrow for now its getting some natural light. This is the first time we have done this so any help would be grateful. Sorry cant add any photos for some reason.

2. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Here are the pic's 20180620_154836.jpg 20180620_154725.jpg 20180620_154751_Burst16.jpg

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Love the tank! I think it'd be cool to see it fill in.

That said, a goldfish would DEFINITELY get far too large for this tank, and so would a betta.

Maybe you should do some shrimp instead?

4. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Shrimp would be cool all we have around here are ghost shrimp and the LPS hasn't had any in a month lol. Would they need a bubbler or any air add for them?

5. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Agree no fish...shrimp and a snail would be great. I would add a bubbler just to keep film off the surface

6. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

An airstone would definitely be helpful, although maybe not required. I'd do one though!

Ghost shrimp are a great place to start since they don't breed, are cheap, and are really interesting to watch. I'd get a few ghost shrimp, let the tank mature, and then eventually move up to maybe some RCS.

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I can see through that bowl. Needs more plants. :D

8. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Thx for the feedback guys will have to try and find some shrimp soon. Hopefully the plants will fill up the bowl as they grow. All the plants came from our 10g and 20g, they are cuttings from our other plants.

9. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

You could do all kinds of microcrustaceans in there!

Daphnia, copedpods, seed shrimp, scuds....it is large enough to support a small snail colony as well

10. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

We got a few ghost shrimp for now and added a baby betta and a light it looks good to us ! 1529969981588.jpg 1529970011956.jpg

11. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

That tank is too small for a betta. I understand he's a baby, so I won't nag at you about it, but I certainly hope you move him into a larger tank before he reaches maturity.

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yeah, bettas are way too active for a 1 gallon. I have a 1 gallon cube and it's just plants, it would be too hard to maintain with anything else. Goldfish need 20 gallons for fancies and ponds for commons.

You could add some sticks and rocks for a hardscape. Short plants in front, taller plants behind :)