Nano 15 Gal. Tank Stocking???

Sierra s.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have just 1 clownfish right now and I want to add more but I'd like something hardy that can go with my female clown. I had a Male but we had a velvet outbreak and he died and the female also bullied him a lot so I don't know if adding another clown is a good idea.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Sierra Sounds like you've got an aggressive little lady there... but it may be species specific. Your instincts are right in my opinion and I would not try any other damselfishes with her.

Knowing a bit more about your tank size and the scape inside will help us advise you better as far as stocking goes. Is it a 15g cube or does it have more length than height? Do you have enough rocks in the tank to break lines of sight between fish, and are those rocks set up in such a way as to offer caves and areas where a burrowing fish may set up a lair?

I have a 20g long with a clown, a yellow watchman goby who is paired with a pistol shrimp, and a royal gramma. They get along very well but each has the capability to be aggressive. I think it's because they all have a little attitude, and that the goby and gramma are provided with their safe space (a tiny cave and the burrow the goby and shrimp built), that there is peace in the tank. With the right set up within the tank, all are provided with what they need to feel safe. In turn, each fish is comfortable enough to be brave, strong, and healthy.

So, without knowing enough to be sure, I'd recommend you look at any of the pistol gobies, and definitely get them a pistol shrimp. Their relationship and work-together behavior is a joy to behold. They do, however, need a place where they can build a burrow, and this is usually next to and under the rocks. They'd really appreciate a tiny overhang or cave down low. Generally, goby species will fight terribly, so it is not recommended to have more than one. However, the Neon Goby doesn't really look, nor act like a goby. They are open water swimmers and a kind of cleaner fish. Plus, they're really small and have a light bioload, and this is exactly what you need to look for in at least 1 of your fish if you want a total of three.

A royal gramma is a beautiful fish which is in the Basslet family. They are rock dwellers and don't really burrow, but do need a bolt hole of some type where they can sleep and feel safe. This could be in another area where rock overhangs or forms a tiny cave, but with these guys, a small open space within the rockscape will also suffice. In other words, they don't need the sand like the goby/shrimp do, but if not provided with a safe space, you will have a stressed fish on your hands... and this is exactly what we don't want. Stress can cause a myriad of other issues.

I wouldn't do more than two or three small fish in a 15g, but other ideas are, smaller blennies (the tailspot blenny is terribly cute), or perhaps a pygmy wrasse like the Pink Striped or Possum. LiveAquaria is a great resource for stocking. Clicking the link below will take you to their marine fish section, and on the left, you can filter by tank size.

You might also want to check the fish compatibility chart while your there.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you QT the female clown after the velvet outbreak? If not then the clown is still carrying the parasite and it will infect any new fish you put in the tank. So make sure that is taken care of first. Velvet is a super quick killer.

As for the fish, the problem is you are going to need an assertive fish and I can't think of any options that will work in a 15 gallon. Definitely don'tt add another clownfish. Generally it's best to add pairs from the same batch as they tend to pair up more. I agree that Damsels wouldn't be the best either as they are from the same family. The tank is on the small side and I can't believe I am going to say it but maybe a captive bred Orchid Dottyback is the way to go. They tend to be a bit better behaved than most dottybacks but they can definitly hold their own against an aggressive fish.

Sierra s.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did you QT the female clown after the velvet outbreak? If not then the clown is still carrying the parasite and it will infect any new fish you put in the tank. So make sure that is taken care of first. Velvet is a super quick killer.

As for the fish, the problem is you are going to need an assertive fish and I can't think of any options that will work in a 15 gallon. Definitely don'tt add another clownfish. Generally it's best to add pairs from the same batch as they tend to pair up more. I agree that Damsels wouldn't be the best either as they are from the same family. The tank is on the small side and I can't believe I am going to say it but maybe a captive bred Orchid Dottyback is the way to go. They tend to be a bit better behaved than most dottybacks but they can definitly hold their own against an aggressive fish.
The female has been in QT for about 80 days now.
I actually had a orchid Dottyback that was super nice to everyone but unfortunately she was the one who started the velvet outbreak ‍♀ I've thought about getting another actually.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom