Naming fish

CyanidePie

HI guys. I was wondering, do the people with big 100 gal tank name all the fish they get. What about schooling fish. (Not like neon tetras, more recognizable and identifiable fish, if you know what I mean.)

davis

I have named them if you can reconnize them I. E. Blacky the angelfish,twins for a pair of gold angels,guppies. However a lot get lost in the school I have never named a rummynose Tetra for example.

amaly

All of the fish who are easy to identify have names. But my golden white cloud minnows for example don't. Neither do my 5 cory cats, aside from one albino with a bum eye who is called Snow White. But yeah, only the ones that we can for sure tell apart are named.

Eienna

Almost all of mine are named. The only ones I haven't are because I can't tell them apart, can't yet tell if they're male or female (but will eventually be able to), or just haven't come up with the perfect name yet.

Ashley45

You could always name all fish in the school bob or Heather. .. those are the Bobs and these are the Heathers... Hahaha

Magoo

Mine mostly have names and my snails too apart from the mystery babies and mts my schoolers have group names the rainbows the gang and the cories are the snuffle army the others are Herschel, Monty, Smudge, Loki, Severus, Snot, Dimple, Slug, Bong, Bazz, Inga, Trumper and Ezio

Monsieurp237

Hi!

All my singular fishes have names...

... And the schools, I give 'em gang names!

So the rosy neon tetras are the 100 watts squad...

The ruby tetras are the corner crew...

The panda cories are the fab four...

And the corydoras habrosus are the wolf pack...

And there is Pete, aka petroleum, Pharaoh and Japon, 3 guppies...

And mr Ramesh, the honey gourami...

Shrimps and snails do not have names, except for Bruin, the assassin snail I got on the day of the Boston marathon bombing!

Love naming fishes...

CoryCats

Some of mine have names lol

The 3 bettas Jake and Elwood (The Blues Brothers) and Urie
My pleco Nom
A panda cory who had more black than the others names Rebel
A green cory with barbels on only one side named Barbie
Bullet and Sharky are corys named after how they swim - Sharky tucks his fins in and 'zooms' across the tank, and Bullet swims in short little bursts.

Monsieurp237

CoryCats said:
Some of mine have names lol

The 3 bettas Jake and Elwood (The Blues Brothers) and Urie
My pleco Nom
A panda cory who had more black than the others names Rebel
A green cory with barbels on only one side named Barbie
Bullet and Sharky are corys named after how they swim - Sharky tucks his fins in and 'zooms' across the tank, and Bullet swims in short little bursts.
Jake and Elwood! Sooooo nice!!!

Do they eat white toasts and whole chickens?

CoryCats

Monsieurp237 said:
Jake and Elwood! Sooooo nice!!!

Do they eat white toasts and whole chickens?

Ziggi

My schools have names... they just change on a daily basis! So there's Etta the Blue GouramI (B.B. King my old Male blue), I called my green cories a little wolf pack (that's kinda ironic we both do that Monsieurp237 They're acting less wolfish lately so I haven't used that name in awhile) broken down to Fang 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and Runt jr and Sr (R.i.p. both runts), Cardinal school members are Reds (1-10) and Gold Pristellas are Golds (1-6) so creative, I know.

Betta boys are Logan and Victor, my assassin snails are both Waldo (Where's Waldo?). My Zebra Brevis Shellies have not been named yet. Prolly should get on that since they're my oldest fish...

chippygal

All of mine have names except the MTS.
Panda Cories Larry, Mo and Curly. Larry and Curly hang out together and are different sizes, Mo hangs on His/Her own or with an elegant cory.
Elegant Cories Tom and Jerry. Long fin zebra danio Hitler as he has killed other fish in the past. White clouds leopald, Christopher, Goldie, Chubby.
Male Guppies Leopard, Shaggy.
Male Endler Al Capone.
Female Guppies Cloud, Tequila, Chloe. Babies have no names right now.
Mystery Snails Davy Jones, Evil Knievel, Strawberry Swirl, Professor Plum.
I should add my kids helped name everyone.

frampy

I have names for just a few. Max the pleco, george my betta my dwarf gouramI is nibbles my oscar was oscar the grouch. My silver dollars are quick silver. My corys are the nuts.

CyanidePie

Thanks everyone!

Akari_32

You want names? I'll give you names!

Feebas
Seeking
Milotic
Bruce (as in Wayne )
Opimus Prime
Luna
Dharma
Gimpy
Spotty
Brain
Changey (he went from black to white, and I was too lazy to give him a real name XD)
Pudge
Ninja
Mr Grumpy Gills (nick-name of my clown pleco, who doesn't actually have a name)
Kai

All but the last three are goldfish... There are even 4 more goldfish, two plecos, two ADFs, a sparkling gouramI and two bettas that don't have names (amongst the neons, danios and platies). I don't have issues.... <.<

Names are a big deal for some reason. It drives me crazy if I can't find a good one!

CoryCats

Akari_32 said:
Names are a big deal for some reason. It drives me crazy if I can't find a good one!
I'm the same way. I can't just give them any name, it has to fit them and their personality!

tropicalfishlover

I don't name most of my fish besides my Bettas and Cichlids.

Akari_32

CoryCats said:
I'm the same way. I can't just give them any name, it has to fit them and their personality!
Exactly! Names are very important

EricV

I don't name any of my fish lol

Rohit 25

Yeah,I have got names for my special fishes!

Shine

I only name them if I can recognize them and differenciate them from each other. Thus the goldfish and bettas have names... and pretty much nothing else does. Though I admit to naming the couple mystery snails I had at one point

AquaLady

My smallest tiger barb that constantly pecks at my snails is named J.D. for juvenile delinquent.

maux

It's plenty for me if I can recognize the most individual fish. I'm sure later I may be able to tell the difference between any of them but I doubt I'll try naming them.

Tsyklon

I'll always name my fish based on observed behavior, or standout visible traits. For example, my single painted platy is named Patient Zero, or just Zero for short, because he was the vector of an ich outbreak XD

As for the WCMMs... ehhhhhh, I haven't really named theme, even though there are a couple easily identifiable ones. For example, I have a very large male, and another male that has a bend in his spine, which could use some names...

AquaLady

Lol I just name the ones that stand out the most in what they do and how they look. Another barb of mine is named Black because of his thick horizontal black line making him look mostly black. A copper penny colored one named Penny, brilliant rasbora named Latin King because of yellow and black coloring, 2 xray tetras Ray and Tiny. Tiny being the bigger one lol.Tiger barb called VerdI (vertical) because he swims vertically where the filter water pours. Bubbles from swimming in the airstone. I can go on and on lol. My fish have bountiful personalities that never cease to amaze me.

winglessicarus

I had a betta named BB (short for Blockbuster) because he was blue, and our store mascot. That was short lived before my SM made me take him home, but the name stuck - a coworker named him.

Another betta Sanguine - sadly very short lived.

My current baby I'm waiting to grow into a name, for now I call him Little One... maybe forever.

Male guppy named Dennis - my sister gave him to me and her name is Denise. He is the most persistent little bugger though, I might be changing his name to Pervert.

A solid purple called Batman, because my brother didn't know I had a third guppy at the time and said he looked like Batman - completely shrouded in mystery and darkness.

I just lost my female guppy "Momma". I found myself calling her that one day when I tried to catch her, it just stuck.

"Big Red" has a solid dark red tail, and she came to me "hugely pregnant" as my brother put it. She hasn't gone down in size ever, but it's possible she never passed any babies either.

Usually I wait for someone (pet or fictional character) to tell me their name, rather than force it upon them. Some do... others don't.

I have for babies from one of my guppies who has passed on, and I call them as a whole "the blondies" because of their coloring.

Eienna

Oh yeah, Ninja the betta <3

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom