Name this Larva!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Ziggi, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Found 2 of these in my 10 gal QT, only occupants are a million ramshorn snails a java fern and several baby ferns and 2 pieces of driftwood. (none of that is too necessary I suppose...)

Does this look like a mosquito larva? If not, what could it be?

DSC00650.JPG
    DSC00652.JPG
    DSC00655.JPG

2. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Hmmm that looks like what I found munching on my mystery snail. not sure what it is but it killed my snail...

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

They look like mosquito larvaes

4. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

interesting! hmmm (by the way I love your avatar pic! :D sounds like me!) It LOOKS like mosquito larve to me, but I've only seen them in person in a trough, and they were bigger/fatter and red or black ... almost worm like. But the "swimming" motion is the same. If it stays like that then I dont mind it being there ... if it's gonna grow into a blood sucking critter, :/ I'm not interested!

So easy/effective method of removal? Since they wriggle, I guestimate a good vacume may not do the trick?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

If they are the same size as skeeters, they will be easily removed via vacuum:)

6. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

You should be able to net wrigglers out with ease.

They make great live food if you have a betta or similar too :)

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Look like mosquito larvae to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice