Name that fish/invert!

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Examples?

I'm just trying to determine on whether I need to make a trip to Tennessee or not.
I need to go through my pictures. I'll be heading to my LFS Saturday, so I'll see if they have any of the rarer ones in this shipment or not! I'm incredibly lucky to have such a vast selection.

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I need to go through my pictures. I'll be heading to my LFS Saturday, so I'll see if they have any of the rarer ones in this shipment or not! I'm incredibly lucky to have such a vast selection.
I actually picked up both my Vieja synspilum and guttulatus at my lfs. I was lucky to come across the guttulatus, especially locally because of their rarity. I also struck out on the price. My lfs didn't really know what they were selling, as they had it labeled as a "yellow cheek vieja", and it took 20 minutes and 3 staff members to get a scientific name out of them. Although, since they didn't know what they were selling, they had it for only $25 at 1.5". Usually they're overpriced, so if they knew what they had, they would likely have been $75+.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually picked up both my Vieja synspilum and guttulatus at my lfs. I was lucky to come across the guttulatus, especially locally because of their rarity. I also struck out on the price. My lfs didn't really know what they were selling, as they had it labeled as a "yellow cheek vieja", and it took 20 minutes and 3 staff members to get a scientific name out of them. Although, since they didn't know what they were selling, they had it for only $25 at 1.5". Usually they're overpriced, so if they knew what they had, they would likely have been $75+.
I found Haplochromis last weekend. I wanted to get him so bad, but he didn't look the best. If he's still there Saturday, he's mine.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most Gold Tetras are "identified" as Hemigrammus rodwayi, but there are numerous species that get the infection that causes the gold color. Can't say absolutely what the species of that fish might be.

Concerning the Quetzal Cichlid: Vieja synspila is a synonym of V. melanura. It is common enough to show up in big box stores, so I call that common for a Vieja. V. guttulata is not as common as the Quetzal, but it is certainly not what I would classify as a "rare" fish. At best you could call it uncommon. It's more a matter of knowing where to look, and expanding your own horizons socially.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most Gold Tetras are "identified" as Hemigrammus rodwayi, but there are numerous species that get the infection that causes the gold color. Can't say absolutely what the species of that fish might be.
That’s the one I was looking for! Amazing that it’s an infection/parasite that cause this. Makes me wonder if it affects their quality of life at all. If it doesn’t I sincerely want a nice big school of these one day...

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lucina parva
Nothobranchus fuscotuenatus
Nothibranchus capriva salambala(keep coming across but only see what the photo is labeled so may be wrong on the name of it)

Whatever it is it’s beautiful! Why do you all always seem to have the coolest fish???

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
zoogoneticus Tequila
Xenoophorus captivus.(Worth a shot)
Allotoca dugessi
Ilyoden furcidens

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator