Naked Mole-rats As Pets?

Alexolotl

So I’m currently at Disney world, and I was at Animal Kingdom the day before yesterday. I was on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, and I came to an indoor bit that had naked mole rats, amongst other things. When I was looking at the mole-rats, I thought to myself “I bet I could build something like that myself at home”

This led me to researching extensively on keeping naked mole rats as pets (they’re my favorite animal and I would love to keep them) I came up with a design for a habitat for a small colony with room for population growth, with thick PVC pipes as tunnels and aquariums filled with dirt for the colony to dig their chambers in, with one tank bigger than the rest that wouldn’t be filled with dirt, but would be slightly warmer, so the mole-rats would still hang out in it often. (The one thing I haven’t figured out is how to keep the temperature stable and also keep the habitat dark, though)

Mostly, I want to know if this is a sane idea that won’t cost me ridiculous amounts of money to build and also keep my colony happy and healthy, any recommendations or suggestions you might have, and most importantly, where the heck would I get a few mole-rats to start a colony with?

NOTE: I am not dead set on keeping naked mole-rats at the moment, I’m mostly just curious as to whether or not it’s actually possible. If it is, and there are reliable solutions to all the potential problems (temperature regulation, etc) I might actually do it in the future (it wouldn’t happen for at least a year, however)

goldface

Hmm. How about cleaning? The way you’re describing the layout, sounds like it might be difficult. That’s the thing which really stood out to me. I don’t have an answer to your other questions.

Nataku

Heat without light: ceramic heat emitters aka Chest, commonly used in the reptile keeping hobby. Also, heat mats are flexible and good for sticking under tanks, and heat tape which can be cut to size and wrapped around whatever.

I have seen people build tube mazes for ferrets and rats before, as well as prairie dogs. Never naked mole rats but it's pretty similar I'm sure. Make sure the tubing sections can be pulled apart (and have caps for each end to put on while you have a section down) so you can take them down to hose them out regularly.

Alexolotl

That’s a great idea! I would probably have kids on each terrarium so I can access them easily. If I were to only add 2 inches or so of soil instead of completely filling the tanks, it would also ease cleaning I bet. Now the only issue I need to solve is a source for the mole-rats themselves.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
midna
Replies
Views
AntsRule
  • Alexolotl
  • Insect
Replies
Views
Frisbee