N. Similis not digging or moving any sand

creepa

Hello all,

I have had 14 Neolamprologus Similis for about 3 weeks now yet I have seen very little of the digging behavior that I was so excited to see with them.

A little bit about my setup..
125 Gallons, gH - 14 degrees, kH - 10 degrees, pH - 8.1, Temp - 78F, Ammonia - 0ppm, Nitrite - 0ppm, Nitrate - 2-4ppm
For the substrate I used about 40 pounds of fine grained pool filter sand with 80 pounds of even finer grained aragonite all mixed together. I have about 200 shells of various sizes. and about 10 fist-sized rocks. Initially on startup my gH and pH were a bit too low (4 degrees and 7.0) so I slowly raised them over about a week and a half to where they are now. Everybody is happy and healthy, yet so far only one Similis has moved any sand. What I suspect to me a male had dug a large hole and pushed 4 shells into the center of it but then completely abandoned it. Aside from that there has been very little digging to be seen.

From what I have seen and read about this seems to be on the more unusual side. Does anybody have any input on why they may not be digging at all?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you!

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore hope our shellie keepers can offer some insight today

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom