Mysteryious Neon Tetra Death!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Vortexed, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

I introduced 6 neon tetras to my new tank yesterday to school with the other 2 neon tetras (making 8).. one of the 8 died. Im not sure how.. I just woke up took a shower and I see his dead body floating around.. I took him out as soon as possible to reduce an ammonia spike.. but I don't know how he died. The other 7 are fine.

Tank mates and specs:

20 gallon tank, Aqueon QuietFlow 20, Aqeuon preset heater (74-76 degrees)

1x Molly

1x Swordtail

7x Neon Tetra

Accumulation process: I let the bag sit in the tank for around 20-30 minutes, I dump the bag in the net, I put the net inside the tank and have the fish swim out on their own.

Do not go about stocking issues just stay on topic.. Everyone says "AAah the molly wont survive in a 20 gallon tank11!" When that is pretty much untrue.. as my molly lived a full month in a 5 gallon tank before I took her in, and now she is happy and healthy. STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE

2. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

Neons are pretty fragile as far the tetras go. Whenever I bought 10 of them for my community tank to make the big school of them I have now almost always one didn't make it. I wouldn't worry to much about it unless more deaths occur

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Why would they die though?

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The way you described acclimatizing them you just got the temperature the same. You need to slowly add tank water to the bag so they slowly adjust to the Ph and hardness of your tank.

5. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

Usually from stress they're typically cramped at the place they're breed at. Then they have to cope with new water parameters at the pet store which usually isn't ideal for them , to finally be moved to another tank they have to adjust to.

You might want to upgrade your filter a size up , a good tip is to always go slightly bigger on the filter especially with community tanks that tend to have more waste.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Ive heard this alot.. and I think thats totally incorrect and just adds stress to the fish. And I cant cut the bag open because the second I open the bag the oxygen escape and the PH has a dramatic change, making whatever ammonia is in there, toxic and could kill the fish.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you asking a question if you seem to know it all?.
    And telling people to stay on topic in this way. We're not children who you can tell what to do.
    When you open a bag there doesn't escape oxygen, but air. Escaping air doesn't change Ph.
    Neons definitely can get a Ph shock if the difference is too big and acclimisation happens too fast. So I agree with @BottomDweller. Besides that there can be dozens of reasons.

Kind regards,
    Aad.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Last month, about five weeks ago I added 20 neon tetras to my tank, 48 hrs. later there were two alive and still are, checked the store the third day and the entire tank was empty, they must have been sick when I bought them.

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

I never said I knew it all -_- nor did I say you were children. I am the OP, you can't do as you please on my thread or be rude about it.

And you cant be rude then say "Kind regards" as it really isnt kind regards

Ive spent over $200 on fish stuff over the past month, I gotta cool down on the spending. Maybe some other day, but not now. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the internet, where anyone can do anything they want...

Neons are weird, I have had neons and cardinals die in my tank for no reason, they were fine for a year or more, and I just took a loss here and there, water quality was fine and other fish were fine.
    You need to re-look at your acclimation process, as it is missing several important steps that are mentioned above. Temp is not the only thing that you need to pay attention to.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

An OP should behave the same way and by the same rules as any other member.

Every single response on a question asked should be respected in my opinion.

Disagree with the way you're putting things and reacting towards posts of other members, doesn't mean I am rude or disrespect you. So my kind regards are meand as kind regards and not in any another way

12. BottomDweller

When you open the bag air escapes but that doesn't cause a change in Ph, why would it? And it doesn't make the ammonia in the bag toxic to fish. However you are subjecting them to a possibly dramatic change in Ph by just dumping them in the new tank water without giving them a chance to adjust to it.

Ok I am sorry but you have come here for help, to ask a question and we are trying to help you and answer it. All of us here are trying to help you and your fish and make sure this doesn't happen to your remaining neons or any other fish you get. When I start a thread I try to be polite and I really appreciate anyone who has taken time to answer and I acknowledge everyone's advice.

Sorry, I really don't mean to offend anyone. That's just my opinion.:)

13. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Neons are extremely sensitive to ph swings. Imo, they should be handled very carefully at first. My lfs has them in low ph, so when I got some, I set their tank up the same way.

I got them used to a high ph over the span of a month by topping off with treated tap water. That was last summer and I still have all of them.

Aside from your stocking issues, ph shock can kill neons. If you do decide to try them again, I'd try the drip acclimation method. And possibly find a home for the Molly and swordtail. And this is on topic. You want to know how to care for neons, I don't think swordtails and mollies are compatible tankmates in a tank this size.

14. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Why wouldnt molly and swordtails fit in a tank? they are small, and have lived in a 5 gallon for a month untill I took her in. She is now happy and healthy, I keep hearing "Mollys will die in a 20 gallon!!".. but it hasnt died in a 5 gallon so im sure its fine in a 20 gallon. Same with swordtail..

15. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't. Not with neons in that small of a tank. @Anders247 what do you think?

16. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

"That small a tank" Its a 20 gallon tank with 7 neons >.> Anders suggested I get 12 neons aswell.

17. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

@Vortexed, I think the way you ask a question can be a little off-putting to people. When you ask a question and then say "but I don't want to hear about (whatever), just stay on topic, it could be construed as being a bit rude (or possibly know-it-allish). I believe you would be much better served by just asking your question, and just disregarding any part of the answer that you are not interested in. Keep in mind, when people take the time out to answer your questions, they are doing you a favor. So being gracious would be a major plus.

Also, I wanted to mention that the proper acclimation technique is generally to float the bag in the tank for 15 minutes to equalize the water temp, then slowly transfer water from the tank to the bag. You usually want to spend at least an hour doing this (even longer with sensitive fish such as neon tetra's). This allows the fish to slowly acclimate to the difference in water chemistry. Opening the bag should in no way change your pH level. But if you are worried about an ammonia build up in the bag (which can be a legitimate concern), just add a few drops of Prime into the bag.

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not suggest keeping mollies or swordtail in a 20g but since you already have them, I wouldn't mess with it. Unless you give them away.

19. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Isnt swordtail minimum 10 gallons e.e

20. BottomDweller

Both swordtails and mollies have 29 gallons as their minimum tank size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice