Mystery Vs. Nerites For Diatoms

1. K

Kris23 Valued Member Member

Hi all!

I have a 45 gallon planted aquarium and I'm interested in purchasing snails for the first time. The tank has been running about 8 months now, and it's still producing some diatoms since I have a strong light. However, water parameters are good and stable.

So, I'd like to get some snails to help with the algae problem. I heard that nerites are better with diatoms than mystery snails, but I don't like that nerites leave eggs all over the aquarium, whereas it's easier to remove and dispose of mystery snail eggs.

Can I have opinions/suggestions on this regarding these snails and which I should buy? Is it tough to remove nerite eggs??

I wouldn't mind getting both types, but it's the nerite eggs I worry about.

Do mystery snails even eat diatoms? I see conflicting information.

As a side note- I know to also feed the snails calcium rich foods and veggies, not just algae :)

Thanks in advance.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

IME, mysteries do nothing for diatoms. Nerites are much much better at eating them. You could try removing the eggs carefully with a razor blade but they lay so many of them that it's hard to remove all of them. They fade eventually anyway so it's not a huge deal.

If you don't have any inhabitants that would eat them, Amano shrimp are also great at eating diatoms. Try reducing the lighting as well or adding some phosphate remover to your filter.

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I don't have much experience as I bought my first snail yesterday, a nerite. For my smaller tank I thought it would be perfect, mystery snails get much bigger. He has been hard at work and is actually fun to watch. I was worried of eggs too but I hear you can scrape them off. I hope so:)

4. OP
    OP
    K

I wasn't aware they faded. Good to know! I'd be worried about scratching the glass with a razor blade, so I'd more than likely wait for them to fade. Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    K

Congrats on your first snail! Both types are beautiful, and I love the color variations of the mystery snails so it's tough for me to decide. I'll more than likely get both! Thanks for the response.

6. WTFish?

Thanks! I wanted to add that I read they can both be escape artists but more so for the nerite. I watched mine go straight to the filter and up to the surface, poke around a bit and then he submersed again. Haha. At night I put Saran Wrap over the filter opening so he couldn't get out- currently researching more permanent solution. :)

7. OP
    OP
    K

Saran Wrap sounds like a good idea. I read the same thing! I have a glass canopy and I'm going to make sure the plasticy part openings for the filter are as small as possible to prevent any breakouts! that could potentially help. I haven't tried it yet but it should help in theory.

8. el337

I've never had any of my snails leave the tank though I've heard this could happen.

9. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I would definitely get at least one of each. Nerite and Mystery. Nerites are some of the best algae eaters around. If they do try to escape that's usually a sign of bad water parameters. Mysteries are just fun to watch. I've got 3 Nerites (2 Black Racers and 1 Horned Zebra) and 2 Mysteries (1 Male Blue and 1 Female Ivory) in a 20 gallon long tank. So far I have no egg bedazzle on anything. Be forewarned though, Mysteries can be very messy for a snail. Poop machines. I personally haven't noticed any problems with this yet and my nitrates stay incredibly low. They're never over 5, and I also have 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Panda Cories (know I need more), and 6 Ghost Shrimp in there as well.

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

As others have said, nerites are good algae eaters, mysteries are not.

Don't worry about feeding nerites. It is difficult to get them to eat anything but algae. Make sure you don't get too many nerites or there won't be enough algae for each.

11. WTFish?

Good to know I just put in a piece of zucchini and he/she ignored it. Haha

12. el337

They also eat biofilm off all surfaces of your tank including decor.

13. OP
    OP
    K

They're super fun to watch! I've been watching mystery snail vids on YouTube for the past two days (it's addictive lol).

I'll keep that in mind and won't get too many. Did you order yours online? I'm looking for a reputable seller.

14. OP
    OP
    K

What number would you consider as too many? I'm thinking two or four nerites and 2/3 mystery snails. My tank has a pretty good supply of algae. I'm not sure how fast nerites eat...

15. BottomDweller

Up to about 5 should be ok. I would start with 2 or 3. If you have a lot of algae after a few months you can add more.
    I have 2 normal nerites, one horned nerite and one BN pleco and there is very little algae in my 63 gallon.

16. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I can't compare as I only have a Nerite, but she loves diatoms... and laying eggs. They're only unsightly when they're on the dark decor, though some people might like the polka dot look :) Personally, I prefer the eggs to the diatoms. So far she's left my glass alone, at least as far as egg laying goes. She's like a little lawnmower keeping it clean.

17. OP
    OP
    K

A little law mower is exactly what I need. How long would you say it takes for the eggs to fade?

18. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

My nerites are algae lawn mowers. I have the ugly plain brown ones but they are efficient. I have less snails then tanks. I intend to get more soon but for now I move them around when a tank is clean and another is getting bad. A single nerite can almost keep up with my 20G that is getting a lot of sunlight because the tank is way too close to a window.

19. BottomDweller

They first layed eggs in my tank about 5 months ago, those eggs are still there

20. WTFish?

:eek:
    Wow