Mystery Tetra!

1. BranSW Member Member

Hi y'all, this little dude showed up in my bag of Gertrudae rainbows when I went to collect them from the LFS. Neither the owner nor myself have any idea what she is, which is kind of a problem because the tank the rainbows are for does *not* run neutral! Can anyone help me ID her so that I can figure out her basic care requirements?

Thanks!

20170711_145515.jpg

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Can you get a clearer picture?

3. BranSW Member Member

I've tried -- she's pretty skittish. I'm trying to figure out how to upload video via tapatalk right now.

4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it's a tetra? The picture is not clear, check eyespot rasbora.

5. BranSW Member Member

Eyespot rasbora looks pretty close, although she's very silvery and some of the pictures are pretty golden. Could that be a stress thing?

6. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The dorsal fin looks like a gold (pristella) tetra, but looks like if so it's very stressed since it has not other coloring.

7. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

8. BranSW Member Member

I do believe it is the rasbora. My water may be a little warm for it, but that I can turn down until I get one of my other tanks prepped for it. The rest should be fine.

Thank you!

9. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I've checked seriouslyfish for both fishes. Why don't you think they can't be kept together (unless you don't have enough room)?

10. BranSW Member Member

Oh, I have the space. But I'm getting a pair of EBR in the next few weeks for the tank they're in, and SeriouslyFish has the maximum range for the eyespot rasbora as 25C, which is less than preferable for the rams. So I can't really lower that tank's temperature for any length of time -- just long enough to keep it healthy until I go back to the LFS.

It is a pretty thing, though. Any idea if it's shrimp safe? I like the way it glitters, and it seems like it'll stay fairly tiny.

11. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Yes, it is a nano fish, look for Rachel O'Leary's YouTube video about them.
    I don't own them but I assume they won't bother shrimp because of their small size and they stay in the upper part of the tank.

12. BranSW Member Member

Hmmm. I may hang onto it a few more weeks, then, until my shrimp tank is more stable. If it leaves them mostly alone then I wouldn't mind having a school in there.

13. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

Emerald eye rasbora, looks just like the ones I have...sorry if this confuses you or it is just another name for them. They look great in a large group though.

14. BranSW Member Member

I think it's just another name for them! I'm definitely leaning toward hanging onto this one long enough to see how it does with shrimp, then maybe ordering a proper school of them.

15. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

They remain smaller, my cherry shrimp (another color variant) are fine, they haven't harmed them.

16. BranSW Member Member

Good to know!

17. RyanLewis Member Member

I think its a green eyed rasbora

18. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

19. RyanLewis Member Member

20. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Oh, your post read as if you thought it was another fish :)