Mystery Tetra

Wendy12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 7 existing black neon tetras in my 65 gallon tank and went last weekend to buy 5 more to add to the school. I got the 5 new ones home and put them in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. They were all a little pale in color but I attributed that to the stress of the transport. Within a day, they all had better color with one exception. The little guy in the attached picture was still missing his black stripe. He still looked like a black neon minus the coloring so I gave him a couple more days. Still the same.

He and the other 4 seem otherwise healthy so far, are eating and schooling together although some times the non-stripe one goes off on its own.

Did I get a different Tetra in my mix? This picture resembles what I see online as a head & tail light tetra. If it is different, will it get along in my black neon school or should I return him to the store?

bdbafd978210516862871b214a4ec265.jpg

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Head and Tail light. Is he trying to school with them in QT? Do they bother him or swim with him normally?

Wendy12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He schools with them most but not all the time. The black neons seem to treat him the same.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he schools with them, you could go either way. Leave it as is or return for a black tetra. I have a neon that never schools with the others unless it senses danger. (Me moving things around in the tank, water changes, etc. He's right in that school then. After the threat has passed, he goes off my himself again. For the longest time I thought it was because he was sick but apparently he is just anit-social.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom