Mystery Tag-along Crab... Help!

aquariumlover1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I purchased my live rock, I noticed that I had a tag-along crab, about a half inch to an inch. I've left him in the tank for a while, and now I'm getting just a bit concerned. He's dull in color, but I've been examining him and I've noticed black tips on the claws. Also had a peppermint shrimp go missing recently-- could he be a culprit (not to mention a Rainsford goby, won't blame the crab given the possibility of starvation). Anyway, he comes out at night, and when there's food in the tank, primarily. Lives in a little burrow. At first he reminded me of an Emerald, but I'm verifying that he's not something harmful. Can't get over that peppermint, those black claws, and his appetite. No picture, sorry, but any help I could get would be appreciated!

PHP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it possibly that he looks "hairy"?

What comes to mind when you say black tips is a Hairy Crab (Bad for your tank). Most of the hairy crab species are bad and opportunistic feeders (other than mithrax which have a smooth body, hairy legs, and "scoop" shaped claws).

Stang Man

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From your profile the tank is still very new it could be a number of things, can you give more detail of the crab and the tank as well? 3 + month's is not a safe area of a new tank to be for certain stock.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmmm without a pic and or size of it heres a few choices

My main guess would be: Gorilla Crab

But heres a few other known crab species with black tipped claws.

Black fingered mud crab (mainy only found in the chesapeak bay area thou)

Stone Crab or a Rock crab

Brown Crab

This species of crab is easily identified by its large black-tipped toothed pincers and characteristic ‘pie-crust’ edging. The heavy oval-shaped body is reddish-brown in color

kloseo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my guess without pics is a mirthax crab, very similar to emerald crabs. they are scavengers and are often hitchhikers on live rock, they are fine in your tank

New Threads